Shelby GT500 KR shocks and struts

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why the hell isn't anyone questioning the 180 bucks for 4 shocks for the most top of the line mustang of the year? That's as much or less than four new stock GT shocks. Me thinks they didn't sell as many KR's as they thought they would and now the car has different shocks. The price of the car couldn't have been the problem, right? :handjob:

There were 1000 produced in 2008, and only 571 in 2009. I think you're right, it's possible Ford/Shelby counted on producing 1000 in 2009 also, but didn't make it. The components were probably produced faster than the cars and now we're left with the excess. Shelby won't sell the other components the make up the KR, so this is all we're left with.

And I agree, $180 is a steal. Whether they're ideal for a GT or not.

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
I have the KR springs,struts and shocks installed and love them. However I have a 5.4 3V with twin turbos so I have more nose weight. I replaced a set of Roush springs (worked good with the 4.6 but sagged a lil with the 5.4) and Tokico Dspecs. The ride is rougher than a GT500 (more sporty), but honestly it should've been factory GT500 spec. The ride height is dropped around 3/4 of an inch. Sorry no results with the 4.6 guys...

I assume your 5.4 is an iron block - correct?

cjhenry111

forum member
Reaction score
will be buying these. Just waiting in reply if they have any type of discount for military. This deal is too good. Already have ford racing springs, these should compliment them very well.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
will be buying these. Just waiting in reply if they have any type of discount for military. This deal is too good. Already have ford racing springs, these should compliment them very well.

I'm assuming you mean just teh struts and shocks? The struts and shocks are matched to the KR springs, which are NOT the same as the FRPP springs. I would suggest the FRPP struts and shocks or something adustable. Just my opinion...

cjhenry111

forum member
Reaction score
i have had my springs for a long time and have been trying to find a decent price on shocks and struts. I like the koni str.t but are unfortunately on back order for who knows how long. I talked to my suspension guy, and he said a pretty good buy. I do not road race , just an everyday decent shock and strut is good for me. 180 bones is a pretty sweet deal........I appreciate the info...I guess I will be one the first to post a review considering there is nothing to go off of.

Booya

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have Steeda sport springs and installed the GT500KR shocks yesterday, I'm doing the struts tomorrow and will post up the results.

eggwich del fiero

Captain of Industry
Reaction score
I have Steeda sport springs and installed the GT500KR shocks yesterday, I'm doing the struts tomorrow and will post up the results.

Please please do so, and officially become my new hero.
Looking forward to it!
:supercool:
And wtf is the deal with emoticons on this site? For every positive one, there's ten about jerking off or cutting someone's head off. Tough crowd I guess.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Here is what will happen.

It will feel better, because the parts are new for one. Secondly, they are firmer being for a heavier car which will make things feel more crisp. Here's what will also happen. They will wear out much more quickly as OEM stuff isn't engineered to last. Once the warranty is gone what does Ford care? And even then folks notice massive differences in ride, handling even on cars with very low miles on the damper.

Further KR's aren't exactly handling machines, and a lot of what the make for grip was because they had really sticky specific Goodyears installed.

Is $179.00 cheap? Yes. But ask yourself why they are cheap.... :)

A set of Koni's (for instance) have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser, work better, and will continue to work better for a much longer period of time. Are they are cheap? No, because they are not as cheap.

Last edited:

Booya

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Guinea pig chiming in...

I just finished the install of the KR shocks and struts. Like Sam said above, the ride is smoother and firmer around corners. They did not change my ride height at all. As for wearing out, only time will tell. I had 45k miles and 4 yrs of driving on the stock shocks and struts and they didn't get sloppy, even with running the Steeda sport springs for the past year. For $180 I'd say go for it, I'm sure happy as hell I did.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. By 5k miles I hated my stock shocks, the ride was degrading as it was becoming worse and worse in regard to impact harshness and was feeling less and less crisp. Honestly, when it was new I didn't hate it--but it wasn't great... but by 5k I wasn't loving it.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Between Koni Sport and D-specs I think that's a no brainer. I sell both--but more importantly I've run both (and there a few others here who have as well). We all prefer the Koni's--and with current sale, the price is so little different. D-specs are $589 shipped. Koni Sports $629 shipped (both are in stock for what it's worth). Normally the Koni's are about $780/set...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back