Shortblock options.

07gtcs

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm at just about 70k right now and was looking into some rather expensive parts while staying N/A. The way I'm seeing it I might as well go F/I now instead of later and save myself the trouble. I'm just about sold on the Paxton Throwback.

So one thing leading to another I started looking into short blocks. While I didnt pay it much attention when FRPP ran out of aluminum blocks I'm now saying damn....

I have heard a lot of nightmare stories from places I wont mention because what do I know, I just read the posts. I'm not specifically looking for a stroker but I would like it assembled and that rules out the B302 leaving the B326 from Brenspeed as I cant recall anybody ever bashing them with half a dozen people backing up the complaints.

Are there any other assembled short blocks currently offered that still have a decent reputation behind them? Sorry if I offend anybody, I just read..

I do like the 1000HP rating on the B326, I'll never see that much honestly but it cant hurt to have a tall ceiling is the way I'm thinking.

I've done a ton of search's and reading and would appreciate some up to the current times advice.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My builder didn't even blink when I told him I wanted to put a stroker in my stock block and maybe F/I it to 650HP. He said the stock block is plenty strong and would take that easily. I just really liked the idea of keeping my block in my car, if I could.

07gtcs

forum member
Reaction score
My builder didn't even blink when I told him I wanted to put a stroker in my stock block and maybe F/I it to 650HP. He said the stock block is plenty strong and would take that easily. I just really liked the idea of keeping my block in my car, if I could.

Honestly I have been threw so much shit with this car the last 6 months the less somebody can screw up the better. I just moved to the Boston area, not that I knew anybody in NY either but I'm not fond of just trusting somebody I dont know to build up my block. Hell I havent had much luck with people I do know lately. If I knew somebody that would do things the right way 100% then I would order the B302 rotating assembly in a heartbeat.

If I found a bare block then I would feel more comfortable having that built and having the one in the car sit on reserve in the event something bad happens.

Last edited:

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of gathering parts for a forged long block. I got in on the JDM B302 short block deal and I had purchased some used ported, big valve heads and sent them to Modular Head Shop and they worked them over (cleaning, touch the valves & seats, replace the lash adjusters and have them decked). I am confident that I have the makings of a STOUT engine. I kinda wish that I knew about the Brenspeed 326 short block before I bought the B302 but I got such a great deal on the JDM that I really can't complain.

I am in the process of gathering the parts needed to assemble the long block and I am hoping to get the long block installed around February.

If you have a local shop to assemble everything you could probably use your block and crank, get some Manly rods and some forged pistons and have a block capable of supporting 600HP or so relatively inexpensively. If you want to go all out with a forged crank, a forged stroker crank is similarly priced with stock stroke forged crank and forged rods & pistons are about the same price so you may as well go for the stroker. The extra cubes don't really cost more and sure, a stroker might show more wear than a stocker but how much is that going to affect the life of the engine? I would bet that something else would happen in the high performance engines we are talking way before it wears out.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What I did was buy a bare block, used that for my build and then sold my stock long block to recoup some of the money for the build and also reduce down time.

A challenege you will find is the 3V blocks are not being made anymore which had driven the prices of blocks up-supply and demand-so you may pay more for a bare block or you may have to get a tekskid block(alum and arguably the strongest alum block Ford has ever built). If you do the tekskid water passage hole has to be drilled and you need the motor mount adapters which are about $70.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
If I ever do a built block, I will do it the same way. Guido has had his car sitting at MPE for months while his block was at the machine shop. Where in the boston area are you? There are a few of us that get together every once in a while and we always welcome new people! Check us out over in the New England chit chat thread.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
About to do stock block with manley h rods and pistons for now and buy another one in process

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score
i would looking into the b326 myself. These cars are always about adding more. Even if i threw a paxton on im sure i would get used to it and want more. So if im gonna do an engine build. IM GONNA DO AN ENGINE BUILD!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back