Skwerl's new cabin

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. It's tough finding motivation to keep working on this place with so much yet to do. Nice when I can isolate a small project and knock it out in a couple days.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Good job staying with it, looks good!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Updated pics of the front of the house. I was reading through the thread and last November I posted pics from when I bought the house and what it looked like then. Last pic is from today, 11 months later.

fairview.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3361.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thank you. Next month will be a year and a half since I bought it.

Earlier this week I was thinking about the garage ceiling again. It's a wreck with all the popcorn and a lot of the seam tape falling down. There is no insulation above the garage and it appears that this is related to the moisture coming through from the attic. I noticed the same issue in a neighbor's garage (same builder). I do have a bunch of wall insulation that I could roll out up there, just getting up in the attic to do it is a challenge.

I originally wanted to buy paneling to attach to the ceiling to cover up the failed drywall/popcorn. But earlier this week I saw a picture where someone had used Pergo type wood flooring to cover the ceiling. I have 800' of cheap wood flooring stacked in the shop that I originally bought for the house in Casselberry (that I didn't get). I'm thinking of just using what I have and installing it on the ceiling. I just have to mark all the trusses with a chalk line first so I can nail it up with my nail gun.

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Started the garage ceiling this morning. I tried last weekend but gave up after 30 minutes. Had to think it through a bit more. Laminate flooring has to be lifted and bent to fit it together at an angle, and you have to fit two different sides together simultaneously. Now if you're nailing it into place as you go then you can quickly see where this isn't going to work as easily as one might imagine.

So I divided the ceiling up into sections (rows) no more than 2 pieces wide. I bought a bunch of T strips to cover up the seams. Once I got a routine down it started rolling pretty well. By 2:30 I had enough and will pick up again another day.

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Worked on the garage ceiling some more today. I am over halfway finished now, made it all the way out to where the trusses change direction. I'll have to install the rest of the ceiling (above the open garage door) running perpendicular to what I've done so far. Still need to tidy up wiring, trim, etc.

IMG_3367.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Still plugging away at the garage ceiling. I put in a few hours this morning and stopped for some lunch. Been working on the side above the garage door so I have to keep it closed while I work. A couple more progress pics.

I found a cheap, easy solution for the light wiring. I picked up some zip ties with the eyelet at the top, then used black drywall screws to attach the zip ties to the ceiling. The wire staples weren't going to go through the laminate but this works nicely.

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Finished the garage ceiling laminate. Need about 90' of quarter round to go around the perimeter and I need to finish off the attic door somehow. But the main part is done and all the light wiring is tucked nicely. Went over it with some Pledge using a Swiffer mop and it's all shiny.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks, Rick! It was tough but I'm glad I finally did it. Been looking at that ugly garage ceiling for too long.

IMG_3373.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I bought another load of gravel for the driveway this morning. Then my neighbor came out and asked about finishing off the driveway. He offered to buy another load so we went and got a second load. Ten tons of gravel spread today. Oh, and he's 71 years old.

IMG_3376.jpg

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your neighbor is happy you are investing so much time, energy and money in the property. That's the kind of neighbor you want to have.

Also your laminate ceiling has me thinking about my garage. LOL!!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yup, I have awesome neighbors here. I did put extra effort into getting started on the right foot with my neighbors here and so far it's been awesome. You get good neighbors by being a good neighbor.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You took a not so nice house and turned it into a nice house. Neighbors like that. It is all looking good.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Yep he recognized your continued hardwork, just makes it better for him too. I try to give praise when neighborhood people make an effort. Down street guy stripped overgrown bushes out of front yard and cleaned in to garden, told him how good it looked. I've been hoping to drive by another house when someones outside, the yard was overgrown and the paint peeling bad.. then within short time they cleaned up yard and had house painted.. went from eyesore to nice property. Now on top of all that I do try not to judge as I know some people are in tough times, can't afford to paint the house if struggling to pay mortgage and put food on the table

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The garage ceiling turned out so well I decided to do the same thing with my front foyer. I have some cracked drywall seams in the ceiling and didn't want to retexture and paint to match, I would have ended up redoing the entire house. I still need to pick up some trim pieces for around the edges.

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not bad at all. Didn't think it would look good, but it really does.

Does it feel darker in the hall now or nothing noticeable?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back