Skwerl's new cabin

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
No, the foyer light is very bright. Gives it some depth instead of everything being light colored.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks, Rick. Today I went to an art festival and found something for the small wall in the front foyer. It's steel plate stamped out and then treated with a fake patina and sealed. I thought it fit perfectly with my colors as well as my overall decorating theme.

IMG_3383.jpg

I also bought my quarter round for finishing off the ceiling laminate. Spent a couple hours getting all the pieces cut to fit but didn't nail them up yet. Going to see if I can get a smaller nail gun to stick them up instead of my 16 gauge.

Lastly I got my wood plank bar top cut out and fit into place. I have a long way to go before it's finished but it's going to look great. This is something I visualized from the first time I ever set foot in this house.

IMG_3384.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
That looks awesome, all of it, lol

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Spent a couple days applying multiple coats of urethane to the bar top. The directions say to sand lightly between coats but it was laying down smooth so I didn't. This morning I noticed a couple puddles/bubbles so I hit them lightly with the sander using 220 grit. Then when I blew it off with the air hose the urethane began peeling off. So I sanded a little more and blew it off again, the flaking was worse. Ended up sanding down the entire bar top and starting over. Two days wasted.

Also got the braces stained and sealed with urethane. I pre drilled and countersunk the screw holes.

IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

Four hours dry time between coats. If I hit it again at noon and 4, I can hopefully get it set in place tonight.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've seen bar tops done with that type of stuff. I was already well invested in the Spar Urethane so I kept going with that. I figured out the issue, I had wiped down the bar top with Pledge a week ago and forgot to clean that off before adding more urethane. In the last two days I got it looking pretty good.

I set it in place today and began the process of getting it drawn down flat. Oak tends to warp when it dries and this piece was no exception. I put 5 relief cuts in the back side about 3/4" deep stopping about 3" from the edges. Then I set it in place and put about 1000 lbs of ballast on it to help weigh it down. The brake drums are about 135 lbs each, the boxes of laminate are 35 lbs each and the storage bin is full of water. After screwing down the parts that were flush and letting it sit for several hours, I was finally able to get the kitchen side drawn down. Still lacking about 1/8" on the living room side.

The screw holes in the 2x4 will be filled with brown caulk.

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Last night I put the final coat of urethane on the pieces for the front window and this morning I finished installing them. Had to shave down the blinds to fit but they cut very easily on a miter saw. The additional lighting highlighted some flaws in the drywall, so I'm in the process of fixing those now. It never ends.

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yesterday I put up my very first Christmas tree in my own house. I haven't put one up since leaving home as a teen, over 35 years.

IMG_3392.jpg

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Yesterday I put up my very first Christmas tree in my own house. I haven't put one up since leaving home as a teen, over 35 years.

IMG_3392.jpg
Good for you. I may even do mine now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score

In general I could careless about decorating for holidays but Christmas I really enjoy the tree. Looks good!

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Haha, we put up a Christmas tree, it's interesting with 2x 2 year olds running around.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back