Sleeved Aluminum 3V Block Compared To Boss Block

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
What is thought to be, or actually is the largest bore you can achieve with sleeves in the 05-09 3v block?

Can you go as larger or larger than the Boss Big Bore block?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
What is thought to be, or actually is the largest bore you can achieve with sleeves in the 05-09 3v block?

Can you go as larger or larger than the Boss Big Bore block?

Darton makes a whole cylinder bank that goes to 3.700 bore. It requires milling all the cylinders out and putting the bank in.

AFAIK that is the only reliable method of going to 3.700" on an aluminum block. Just sleeving to 3.700" has been mixed reports. Usually there is a water jacket failure iirc.

Some have (lito I think) resleeved to 5.0 bore. This only required a standard resleeve process. The Darton bank requires a specialized machine shop or sending the block to Darton.

Check my info, it's been awhile since I researched it.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, I had a resleeved Teksid as my first big bore set up. Whoever did the install originally didn't do it correctly. The block ended up with 4 cracks in 2 cylinders. One of which ran all the way to the deck. The last machine shop said if that last crack hadn't run all the way up to the deck they could've fixed it. They said it was a machining issue. So if you do go the resleeved route make sure the shop knows what they're doing.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I've heard mixed reviews on sleeved blocks. It seems like something rich guys get to play with because they can swallow the what seems pretty common to me failures.

From a design perspective I'm surprised they work at all. Or at least under big TQ loads. I can see them working in NA applications. But it seems sketchy with boost.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
So realistically the largest bore achievable on a mod motor is through the use of the Boss Big Bore block, steel or aluminum?
My thinking was honestly that the sleeved factory block may have been cheaper than the 4k+ Ford Racing aluminum Boss BB block. I suppose not, lol.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
So realistically the largest bore achievable on a mod motor is through the use of the Boss Big Bore block, steel or aluminum?
My thinking was honestly that the sleeved factory block may have been cheaper than the 4k+ Ford Racing aluminum Boss BB block. I suppose not, lol.

Do they make an aluminum BOSS block now? I thought they were iron?

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
They had an aluminum version for a bit. I remember seeing them when I bought mine. But the aluminum was $2500 and the iron block was $900.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back