Sneak Peak - BMR's New S197 Rear Sway Bar

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Just ordered some yesterday, supposed to be here tomorrow >:).

Really? SaWeeeet!

Mr. Whiskey also ordered some, along with some LCA.

BMR errrrriwhere! LOL.

LMK how you like them sir. And thanks for supporting our operation. Much more to come!

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Really? SaWeeeet!

BMR errrrriwhere! LOL.

LMK how you like them sir. And thanks for supporting our operation. Much more to come!

Well what fun is that, you ruined my surprise! :p I'm not even off the phone for 30 minutes and you've taken all of my thunder away! Ohh well, guess I'll just have to take pretty pictures since the surprise was ruined! SHUCKS!

Except supporting our axle tubes :rant:

Supporting your axle tubes from what exactly?

I had this conversation with Kelly on the phone not even an hour ago as he was speaking of the progress of their axle brace and neither he nor I could recall a single instance of any Ford 8.8 having the axle tubes come out, laterally, from the car. It's always been from rotation of the tubes. It is extremely difficult to design something that the generic end user can install with ease that provides the support in the needed directions. The CHE brace does a good job of supporting the axle laterally but fails at dealing with the rotational forces as well as just welding the axle tubes would. If I had to make a suggestion to the folks at BMR, it would be to look at the axles that were used by the V8 Aussie Super Car Holdens and Fords before they switched to IRS's. That's about the only way I can think of to properly support these axles from all of the directions necessary to really beef it up. By the time you add bracing like they have, you might as well just buy a 9" and throw it under the car as your 8.8 is going to be a weak point anyway.

For reference, here is a picture of the Holden "live axle" under the V8 Supercar racers:
HRTdiff.jpg

It doesn't even have axle tubes because it uses half shafts with CV joints so they can tweak camber/toe but you can see how the bracing is done with points of bracing going to the front of the unit to the front of the axle and then from behind as well as diagonals. It'd be heavy, a bitch to install and probably not work that well compared to just pinning and welding the tubes on your stock 8.8.

warmmilk

Reaction score
For reference, here is a picture of the Holden "live axle" under the V8 Supercar racers:
HRTdiff.jpg

It doesn't even have axle tubes because it uses half shafts with CV joints so they can tweak camber/toe but you can see how the bracing is done with points of bracing going to the front of the unit to the front of the axle and then from behind as well as diagonals. It'd be heavy, a bitch to install and probably not work that well compared to just pinning and welding the tubes on your stock 8.8.

I want a "live axle" like that...

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I would hope it is braced the f**k up. They do this almost every corner:

dyc_v8_14.JPG

Watch a video when they ran Circuit of Americas (can't find one currently). They were practically jumping some of the turns.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Here is a shot of our 38mm 5-Way adjustable front sway bar.

This thing is huge. I am anxious to see results with this piece. I've got a few AIX cars that are going to be giving me some feedback with it soon.

:drool: Looking forward to hearing about that.

Really? SaWeeeet!
Well what fun is that, you ruined my surprise! :p I'm not even off the phone for 30 minutes and you've taken all of my thunder away! Ohh well, guess I'll just have to take pretty pictures since the surprise was ruined! SHUCKS!
Wait....waht?! :shock: Bailing on tilting windmills in STU? May as well spill now that the cat's out of the bag.

claudermilk

Reaction score
"should" being the keyword. I participated in that letter-writing campaign & hope it does go through. I may do the LCA/relo anyway & stay hiding in CAM where I can play right now in my region.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Relo brackets and control arms will (should) be legal for STU next year.

This is the goal... if not... ohh well, I'll go play in CAM and give up on National Competition unless CAM becomes more popular?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
This is the goal... if not... ohh well, I'll go play in CAM and give up on National Competition unless CAM becomes more popular?

....I heard you were going to go playing around on drag strips across NE. Just hearsay.:popcorneat:

Whiskey11

Reaction score
....I heard you were going to go playing around on drag strips across NE. Just hearsay.:popcorneat:

Well... god knows I could with the drastic increase in %AS associated with just lowering the LCA's with the torque arm... heck, at stock ride height with the torque arm and NO relocation brackets I had 80% %AS... with them all the way down at stock ride height, 151% %AS! Heck yes!

Just need some drag radials and soft rear springs and I could probably pull it off on one of the two drag strips within reasonable driving distance.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
To be honest, it would be cool to see what type of sixty foot you could get by making some adjustments, and throwing some slicks on the back.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Considering it has been nothing but Honda's and Mazda's at the local SCCA chapter (less than 15 drivers total per day as well), I'm starting to care less about its classing until it is fixed. I've already decided if I ever do run in another SCCA autocross locally, it'll be in CAM so I won't have to deal with classing issues.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
To be honest, it would be cool to see what type of sixty foot you could get by making some adjustments, and throwing some slicks on the back.

Probably awful... because driver mod (and lack thereof). If someone wants to ship me a set of drag slicks, I'd entertain the idea. I'll just throw my 200lbs/in springs out back since pulling the spring mounts to use the stock ride height is a lot of work compared to just swapping the springs.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kelly, i like the idea of the bar being mounted like that. How would it perform in a drag setup?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
^ It would work well.

Not quite as well as our XSB005....but it definitely has some advantages over the XSB005.

It is lighter, and doesn't need any welding like the XSB005.

The other part that is nice about it, is that it is not as aggressive for daily use.

The downfall is, it was not engineered specifically for drag use....so of course, it will not provide as much roll stiffness, compared to the drag ARB.

For the average street/strip guy, this bar is a great option.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Cool. Ill take one. lol

The only path to the goods is our site right now. I can send you a code if you need one.

There is not a single person with this bar yet. :idea: ----- or, atleast a production unit...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back