Sneak Peak - BMR's New S197 Rear Sway Bar

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I would like a code as well, you mentioned earlier at one poing that the front bar will be re designed as well, when do you think you will offer the new front and rear bar as a package? (I want to order new front and rear and watts link this fall/ winter)

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread. Today, I tried to get this bar installed. Went in perfectly; great fit and finish. The problem is that it hits my Corsa exhaust when it's lowered onto the ground:

20160709_123057.jpg

I've been emailing Dylan and Kelly from BMR to see if they have any suggestions. I may just be SOL unless I want to change my exhaust (I don't).

Anyone else have any ideas? I could theoretically go to a "tighter" setting on the bar to get a bit more clearance, but then I'm afraid that my car will be too biased towards oversteer. I currently have the thicker BMR bar upfront.

I suppose I could order the older BMR rear bar:
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=185&superpro=0

But I wonder if that would work well in terms of balance with the thicker front bar?

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Is there enough room in front of the bar to flip the drop link the other way? You'd still have to consider fore/aft bar movement over the range of suspension movements.

Norm

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is there enough room in front of the bar to flip the drop link the other way? You'd still have to consider fore/aft bar movement over the range of suspension movements.

Norm
No, it would hit the Panhard rod then. :-/

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The Strano/Hellwig rear bars use about 6.5" lengths of 3/8" x 1-1/2" flat stock for the riser portion, welded to a fabricated eye that retains the chassis side bushing. It's good for bars up to somewhere beyond 225 lb/in rating. It's not as pretty as the BMR piece, not by a long shot, but I bet that something like it, drilled for BMR's bar side bracket holes, would fit.

Norm

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
What about the other style of swaybar links like FRPP or Steeda that are centered on the bar like OEM? I have a set of Steeda links that would only need the correct bar diameter bushings to match the BMR bar. PM me if you want any measurements from the links.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Norm, what you said about suspension travel made me realize the bar wouldn't work in any position; the drop link would still hit the axle-back on compression.

Dylan from BMR actually suggested the Steeda billet drop links. I might order them.

My whole point of doing this is to eliminate the Whiteline bar so I can use a Watts link of a different brand (preferably BMR). I might have to put the Whiteline one back on for the autox next weekend, though.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
My whole point of doing this is to eliminate the Whiteline bar so I can use a Watts link of a different brand (preferably BMR). I might have to put the Whiteline one back on for the autox next weekend, though.

Why would you want a BMR watts over a Whiteline? Sorry Kelly and Dylan, but shocker to see another BMR part not fit a car correctly.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
When you start fitting several different parts on a car, you're bound to have an issue or two along the way. Should BMR be responsible for test fitting every conceivable exhaust option to check fit against their products - NO.

I've had fit issues and manufacturing problems with Whiteline, Steeda, BMR and FRPP. Some issues can be fixed in the field and some require sending back to the manufacturer.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why would you want a BMR watts over a Whiteline? Sorry Kelly and Dylan, but shocker to see another BMR part not fit a car correctly.
The Whiteline rear bar forces you to use the Whiteline watts link due to the way it mounts. I don't like being forced to use one vendor's equipment.

The BMR rear bar I have is also one of the few that is adjustable and is in such a configuration as to allow multiple different types of watts links to be used.

There have also been failures of Whiteline's units.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, my Strano rear bar also hits my Kooks exhaust at full soft (the mount just like how it is hitting yours). Have to run it in the middle or full stuff can't run it full soft.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FWIW, my Strano rear bar also hits my Kooks exhaust at full soft (the mount just like how it is hitting yours). Have to run it in the middle or full stuff can't run it full soft.
Does it actually touch the exhaust at ride height when you have it on full soft?

I might try tightening the bar one notch to see how much clearance there is.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Mark, I have the Strano adjustable bar as well and have no clearance issues with the bar set on soft. There's an inch or so from the bar to the pipe and the link isn't even close to the pipe. I have Borla cans and the inlet is inboard on the muffler. Where are the inlets on your exhaust (Vince too)?

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda carries the correct diameter bushings for the bar opening, 25mm for the BMR bar if I'm not mistaken. You can try these if you like and see if the BMR bushing fits.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Correct.

We simply cannot acquire every exhaust system, driveshaft, shifter, headers, etc to ensure our parts fit cleanly.

When we develop parts, we typically take an OEM equipped vehicle and use that for development.

In your case Vince, unfortunately the exhaust you have takes up more space on the fore side of the mufflers than what jives with our links.

That being said...due to a few people that run into this, we are looking into making a fix. We really do not like to have to tell people to get something else, to make our products work.

As for the comment above about the shocker not seeing our parts fit - the amount of S197 product that we build and ship out of our doors is staggering. We ship out over 10,000 individual products each year, and that number is growing a rapid rate. With that kind of volume, we are sure to see minor issues here and there. It is the nature of the beast.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back