Spark Plug Experts, how do these plugs look to you? Possible #8 issue

Bad500chris

Reaction score
^^ they are not popping up on the boards as often thats for sure, seems it was some what isolated to older tunes, most tuners are up to speed on what these motors like and dont like tune wise

This is correct, most of the tuners are on board with the new motors. Not increasing timing as much as they used to.

2011BaseGT

forum member
Reaction score
Looking at going to the 93 Bama Performance tune. I've been running the 91 performance tune and wanted to make sure my #8 plug looked ok.

Reviving this thread...

How do these look? I think a tad bit lean, but probably ok. Car has 20k

This is #8
photo13.jpg

and, this is #8 next to #5 in the socket.
photo31.jpg

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Looking at going to the 93 Bama Performance tune. I've been running the 91 performance tune and wanted to make sure my #8 plug looked ok.

Reviving this thread...

This is #8
photo13.jpg

photo31.jpg

They look fine, no worries there.

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score

Reviving this thread...

This is #8
photo13.jpg

photo31.jpg

The only true way to read a plug is to cut the threads off and read the fuel ring at the bottom of the porcelain. Ill show you why. Its hard to read your timing marks being that the plugs have been daily drive a bit but timing might be a little backed off. You might be able to put more timing in it.

AR3933-terry-wise-plug3.jpg

rich1.jpg

Obviously the bottom had a little detonation but this is the reason that you should cut the threads off to read the fuel ring. On the top of the porcelain its not to bad but the true fuel ring revels that its actually a little to rich. Especially the top picture.

2011BaseGT

forum member
Reaction score
So you want to go from a 91 to a 93 tune and endanger your motor for, what, 3 horsepower?

The "endanger" part would be up for debate, but yes. I wanted to see if I can lower my ET at all. If not, I'll roll back to my previous tune.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Back from the nether regions

Just wanted to show my plugs at 24,859 miles. 2011 Mustang GT with JLT intake and Jon Lund tunes. I also have the JLT oil separator. Plugs are looking better since I installed the oil separator at 10k miles.

The first one is #7:

SP7.jpg

This is #8:

SP8.jpg

I examined all plugs with a lighted magnifier. No signs of detonation. I did a WOT pull in 4th to red line and shut down the motor. These are the original plugs and the second time they've been out of the car for me to check. I cleaned them all up, checked the gap and reinstalled. Car runs awesome! I run my Jon Lund Cammed tune most of the time.

I am going to go ahead and put new plugs in though. Even though these appear to show a slightly rich condition, my WOT A/F is right at 12.2-12.2 with 24° of timing sometimes dipping to 23.5°.

SRTthis

Reaction score
The only true way to read a plug is to cut the threads off and read the fuel ring at the bottom of the porcelain. Ill show you why. Its hard to read your timing marks being that the plugs have been daily drive a bit but timing might be a little backed off. You might be able to put more timing in it.

AR3933-terry-wise-plug3.jpg

rich1.jpg

Obviously the bottom had a little detonation but this is the reason that you should cut the threads off to read the fuel ring. On the top of the porcelain its not to bad but the true fuel ring revels that its actually a little to rich. Especially the top picture.

dont bother... i posted something like this around page 5 and not many wanted to believe me

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back