SR Lowering springs, are GT500 strut mounts a MUST?

bird_dog0347

Reaction score
So I picked up a set of the SR lowering springs for cheap, unused off CL today. I was checking the AM website and it claims to use them on my '14 GT I need the GT500 strut mounts. Is this true even if I re-use the stock struts for now? Can anyone explain why they say it's a must? I'm pretty sure the FMS K springs say the same thing...

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I reused my stock mounts. I am one of like four people to ever have their upper mounts not explode upon disassembly.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
A search would have a answered your question. What do you think is affected when lowering a vehicle... camber.

bird_dog0347

Reaction score
A search would have a answered your question. What do you think is affected when lowering a vehicle... camber.

I did search and found that most people bought camber bolts, which don't say the GT500 strut mounts are required from what I've seen, and they typically did not need them with these springs. Also the GT500 mounts aren't caster/camber plates so I don't think that really would solve what you're saying is the issue... camber.

That said, I only don't want to buy it right now as I do want to add a nice set of C/C plates in the future when I get the struts/shocks that I want but I'd like to lower it now and take advantage of the springs that I have already. Really I'm asking WHY do some springs say you must replace the mounts and others don't? Is it a design difference or a lawyer/liability issue?

Mustangfan

forum member
Reaction score
It's simple, the stockers are basically one time use. Many that reuse them run into issues, with noises and other problems. I would at the minimum get the GT500 mounts, or if you can save up for a while go with the Steeda HD mounts.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
The GT500 struts only work with 05-10 struts. The stock struts fall apart when you take them off.

You'll need more parts other than those springs (which are cheaply made) to lower the car properly. Adjustable panhard bar, adjustable upper contol arm and mount, and lower control arm relocation brackets just to name a few.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I did search and found that most people bought camber bolts, which don't say the GT500 strut mounts are required from what I've seen, and they typically did not need them with these springs. Also the GT500 mounts aren't caster/camber plates so I don't think that really would solve what you're saying is the issue... camber.

That said, I only don't want to buy it right now as I do want to add a nice set of C/C plates in the future when I get the struts/shocks that I want but I'd like to lower it now and take advantage of the springs that I have already. Really I'm asking WHY do some springs say you must replace the mounts and others don't? Is it a design difference or a lawyer/liability issue?

You obviously need to read some more than. GT500 mounts can and have kept camber in factory spec on lowered cars. You can read and figure out how it's possible.

bird_dog0347

Reaction score
The GT500 struts only work with 05-10 struts. The stock struts fall apart when you take them off.

You'll need more parts other than those springs (which are cheaply made) to lower the car properly. Adjustable panhard bar, adjustable upper contol arm and mount, and lower control arm relocation brackets just to name a few.

Ok, another point I forgot to make earlier. I have stock struts on my '14 for now (yes, I'm fully aware that to properly control the spring I need better dampers) and the GT500 strut mounts say they are only for 05-10 struts which makes me even more curious why I'd use them with my stock 14 struts.

You obviously need to read some more than. GT500 mounts can and have kept camber in factory spec on lowered cars. You can read and figure out how it's possible.

I'm FULLY aware of how to do it properly, I'm just not FULLY funded to do it 100% right off the bat. My money is going into my 92 notch with a 04 IRS so I know a little something about suspension. Hell, I've spent more on suspension on my race bike than I did on the engine performance. This is my daily and I just want to get rid of the 4x4 look and was questioning why the AM website says I have to use the 05-10 struts and strut mounts and yet of the 100+ reviews most people do not do that.

Soooo... let me rephrase my original question to ask the people who have the SR lowering springs did you also replace the struts and strut mounts or did you re-use the stock ones on your 11-14 mustang?

Mustangfan

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, another point I forgot to make earlier. I have stock struts on my '14 for now (yes, I'm fully aware that to properly control the spring I need better dampers) and the GT500 strut mounts say they are only for 05-10 struts which makes me even more curious why I'd use them with my stock 14 struts.

I'm FULLY aware of how to do it properly, I'm just not FULLY funded to do it 100% right off the bat. My money is going into my 92 notch with a 04 IRS so I know a little something about suspension. Hell, I've spent more on suspension on my race bike than I did on the engine performance. This is my daily and I just want to get rid of the 4x4 look and was questioning why the AM website says I have to use the 05-10 struts and strut mounts and yet of the 100+ reviews most people do not do that.

Soooo... let me rephrase my original question to ask the people who have the SR lowering springs did you also replace the struts and strut mounts or did you re-use the stock ones on your 11-14 mustang?

Lowering your car on the stock shocks can affect your ride quality. The shocks are just to soft, and you will eventually hate the ride. If your going to go ahead and put in springs, get some quality shock/struts. The koni non adjustable are very affordable and offer a good performance inprovement. I would suggest the adjustable mounts, it really helps get the alignment into spec. No need for lower control arms, or UCA. Start with the shocks, sturts and the mounts. If your rear axle is out of spec then you only need a adjustable panhard bar. Not a big expense..

rduc

Reaction score
I just put springs on mine so I could get rid of the 4×4 look. It is perfect ,handles better and you'll love the look

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I never said for you to use the GT500 mounts with your stock struts. I was merely pointing out another option.

The GT500 mounts are superior in strength compared to the stock ones that fall apart when you sneeze on them and when installed with the arrows pointed in you'll gain back the camber you lost thus not need camber plates or camber bolts. It's a win win.

Do you think you're just going to throw springs on and nothing else? You''l at the very least need a panhard bar to center the body of the car that will shift with springs.

bird_dog0347

Reaction score
Ok, forget I asked. Since most of the answers were to questions I did not ask and not answers to the one question I did ask (are the strut mounts a MUST, and if so why?) I'll just assume you all know eleventy billion times more about suspension than I do and that I should just shut up.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Ryan is being somewhat of an ass, sorry. He's short and doesn't get much pussy so he gets grumpy at times.

As far as the GT500 mounts, most aftermarket struts don't come in the identical configuration of the 2010-2014 Mustang, so you need to use the 2005-2009 style upper strut mount in order for them to fit. If you are going to buy new upper mounts for your new struts then it only makes sense to buy the GT500 mounts. The stock mounts are marketed as 'one use only' so you might be able to reuse them but if they begin to make noise or fall apart you have to pull everything apart again to change them.

Similar to swapping out your throwout bearing when swapping a clutch. It may be bad, it may still be good, but it's a lot of work to get to it so you are better off installing a new one while you have it apart.

bird_dog0347

Reaction score
I reused my stock mounts. I am one of like four people to ever have their upper mounts not explode upon disassembly.

first post to answer my question, thank you for that.

It's simple, the stockers are basically one time use. Many that reuse them run into issues, with noises and other problems. I would at the minimum get the GT500 mounts, or if you can save up for a while go with the Steeda HD mounts.

Thank you for expanding on what was said earlier, and helping to explain why it's recommended to replace them without being an ass about it.

I just put springs on mine so I could get rid of the 4×4 look. It is perfect ,handles better and you'll love the look

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So you didn't replace struts/mounts/anything? Did you go with the SR springs? Did you even bother to replace the PHB (which I'm well aware that I'll need to center the axle after lowering the car)?

bird_dog0347

Reaction score
Ryan is being somewhat of an ass, sorry. He's short and doesn't get much pussy so he gets grumpy at times.

As far as the GT500 mounts, most aftermarket struts don't come in the identical configuration of the 2010-2014 Mustang, so you need to use the 2005-2009 style upper strut mount in order for them to fit. If you are going to buy new upper mounts for your new struts then it only makes sense to buy the GT500 mounts. The stock mounts are marketed as 'one use only' so you might be able to reuse them but if they begin to make noise or fall apart you have to pull everything apart again to change them.

Similar to swapping out your throwout bearing when swapping a clutch. It may be bad, it may still be good, but it's a lot of work to get to it so you are better off installing a new one while you have it apart.

Normally I'd agree with you but in this case it's not just another $100... it's that PLUS different struts. If I'm going to do that, I might as well save for the ones I want (Koni SA) which really brings the price up. If I can do it in stages then I'll be a happy camper and my 92 notch can get most of my budget which is the goal anyways.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
In that case maybe just leave it alone until you can get the struts you want and do it right. Like my old man used to say "I can't see it from the driver's seat."

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have SR springs on a '12 GT with OE strut mounts. No issues at all. Turning the mounts (where they bolt to the car) 180 degrees can correct the camber. I've taken the strut mounts off twice without issue. Just be careful not to let them come apart and you'll be good.

My car looked much better lowered but didn't drive too good being the only suspension mod on the car. I frequent some pretty hairy backroads and the car was an absolute handful before making other changes in the suspension. The rear would also bottom out on the OE shocks.

The rear was off center so I got an adjustable panhard bar. Not long after that a rear shock blew (from being lowered) so I got Koni Strt's. These totally transformed the car! IMO, it should be the first mod or at least installed with lowering springs. The OE shocks suck balls.

Even with the improved handling from the Koni's the car still had a tendency to bottom in the rear and squat a ton on take off. That's when I ordered BMR's relocation brackets for the rear lower control arms. MUCH better! Believe it or not the car doesn't bottom and some clunking was relieved. I think with the rear squatting so far it would put the pinion in a bind. I was looking at an adjustable upper control arm thinking I needed that for the pinion angle but once the relocation brkts went on the problems I was having were gone.

For now I'm pretty satisfied with my setup. Eventually I'd like to get some better springs and Bilstein shocks. Maybe an adj upper control arm too.

I do need to add that my Koni struts (not the shocks) make a groaning sound. A few others have had this issue too. Makes me wish I just saved up and got the Bilsteins I really wanted.

If you do JUST springs don't expect to keep it that way long.

bird_dog0347

Reaction score
I have SR springs on a '12 GT with OE strut mounts. No issues at all. Turning the mounts (where they bolt to the car) 180 degrees can correct the camber. I've taken the strut mounts off twice without issue. Just be careful not to let them come apart and you'll be good.

My car looked much better lowered but didn't drive too good being the only suspension mod on the car. I frequent some pretty hairy backroads and the car was an absolute handful before making other changes in the suspension. The rear would also bottom out on the OE shocks.

The rear was off center so I got an adjustable panhard bar. Not long after that a rear shock blew (from being lowered) so I got Koni Strt's. These totally transformed the car! IMO, it should be the first mod or at least installed with lowering springs. The OE shocks suck balls.

Even with the improved handling from the Koni's the car still had a tendency to bottom in the rear and squat a ton on take off. That's when I ordered BMR's relocation brackets for the rear lower control arms. MUCH better! Believe it or not the car doesn't bottom and some clunking was relieved. I think with the rear squatting so far it would put the pinion in a bind. I was looking at an adjustable upper control arm thinking I needed that for the pinion angle but once the relocation brkts went on the problems I was having were gone.

For now I'm pretty satisfied with my setup. Eventually I'd like to get some better springs and Bilstein shocks. Maybe an adj upper control arm too.

I do need to add that my Koni struts (not the shocks) make a groaning sound. A few others have had this issue too. Makes me wish I just saved up and got the Bilsteins I really wanted.

If you do JUST springs don't expect to keep it that way long.

This is the kinda feedback I was looking for. Thanks!

And yes, I do know it will need better dampers and it is in the plans for the spring I just don't have it in the budget at the moment.

FRPP springs here with OEM strut mounts also. No issues in the last 28k miles.

So it sounds like it can be done if caution is taken during dis-assembly and reassembly?

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
This is the kinda feedback I was looking for. Thanks!

And yes, I do know it will need better dampers and it is in the plans for the spring I just don't have it in the budget at the moment.

So it sounds like it can be done if caution is taken during dis-assembly and reassembly?

I took caution when I did mine. Just take your time and watch what is going on.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back