Steel wheels for snow

Reaction score
I'm looking to find a steel wheel to mount a set of snow tires this winter. I'd like to buy the generic black steel wheel that is meant for this job. Does anyone know of a specific company that offers a wheel with the correct offset and lug pattern for our vehicles?

N

navbtcret

I got a set of steel rims and with snow tires already mounted on them from the Tire Rack in 2006. They are black and I bought some cheap hub caps from auto zone to put on them in the winter.

Reaction score
I got a set of steel rims and with snow tires already mounted on them from the Tire Rack in 2006. They are black and I bought some cheap hub caps from auto zone to put on them in the winter.

I just spoke with TireRack. It looks like they don't offer any steel wheels because none of them would clear the calipers, at least on the GT model.

Does that contradict your experience? From the sounds of it, they offered steel wheels in the past.

N

navbtcret

I just spoke with TireRack. It looks like they don't offer any steel wheels because none of them would clear the calipers, at least on the GT model.

Does that contradict your experience? From the sounds of it, they offered steel wheels in the past.

The ones I have cleared the calipers no problem. Like I said I bought them in 2006 though, the first winter I owned the car.

DJ Staid

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure about steel wheels and etc, but in our area there is a guy on Craigslist selling some stock rims with Blizzaks on there... all 4 for like $650.

Not sure if that is something you would want to even look into, but I figured I would let ya know. I am still trying to figure out what my plan is for the winter since the stang in my DD.

SonicBlur

]V[EGADET]-[
Reaction score
Wood Dale/Schaumburg, Illinois. Near Chicago
Damn, I can't believe it's time to start worrying about this!! Why do I have to live in Chicago for the winter! It sucks so much ass here. I have a set of Mille Miglia wheels with Blizzaks from my 2000 Audi S4 but I don't think 16" wheels will fit over my GT brakes. I guess I have to sell them and buy tires and put them on my GT wheels. I'm replacing these wheels with something cooler for next summer anyway.

-Mike

DJ Staid

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, I can't believe it's time to start worrying about this!! Why do I have to live in Chicago for the winter! It sucks so much ass here.

Yea the fun part is I just got my car too. This summer in D-town has been crappy... so I have not really been able to enjoy the car to it's fullest and now it is gonna start to get cold...

I told my Fiance that we need to move somewhere I can have my top down year round!

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea the fun part is I just got my car too. This summer in D-town has been crappy... so I have not really been able to enjoy the car to it's fullest and now it is gonna start to get cold...

I told my Fiance that we need to move somewhere I can have my top down year round!

Texas!!!!

Qtr Horse

Reaction score
I'm looking to find a steel wheel to mount a set of snow tires this winter. I'd like to buy the generic black steel wheel that is meant for this job. Does anyone know of a specific company that offers a wheel with the correct offset and lug pattern for our vehicles?

I'm in the Detroit area. I have a set of 18" argent Bullitt Ford accessory wheels mounted with 235/50/18 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's for sale. Only 3000 miles on these. Excellent condition. Was going to put them up on Craigslist this weekend. Asking $900. Let me know if you are interested and I can get you some pictures.

Wheel.JPG

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Winter+Sport+3D

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a set of stock 17" wheels off of eBay for $150 plus shipping last year to use with snow tires. Many times you can find stock wheels for cheap. I got a set of 18" factory wheels and tires in near showroom condition for $350 off of eBay recently too. Spend some time and shop aorund and you'll find a good deal for wheels to use with snow tires.

KoolerSL2

Serve and Protect
Reaction score
ive seen several sets of stock 17' wheels on craigslist here recently for $199.
sonic check in the chi town craigslist thats where i saw them.
just the wheels no tires.
thats what i would do for some winter wheels.
tennessee i dont have to deal with snow very often.

Reaction score
I'm in the Detroit area. I have a set of 18" argent Bullitt Ford accessory wheels mounted with 235/50/18 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's for sale. Only 3000 miles on these. Excellent condition. Was going to put them up on Craigslist this weekend. Asking $900. Let me know if you are interested and I can get you some pictures.

View attachment 9020

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Winter+Sport+3D

My budget only calls for snow tires, and not rims. In the future, if you decide to part with the tires only, PM me.

Back