stock e fan motor "high" side burned out.

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
Just a odd thing that happened to me, I had the high side of the fans burn out. very odd. the car overheated in traffic. I drove it home after it cooled off. I checked the fuses and relays. all good. the fan spun freely but did have the " the magic has left electronic part" smell to it. also after i pulled the fan assembly, I ran it on just 12 volts direct to the motor, motor spun freely, but the high side didn't work. ordered a new fan assembly. installed and it works great. just seems very odd that the high side of the fan burnt out. I suspect it was the thermistor section that failed that draws the high side, never had that happen.

Last edited:

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
You sure it wasn't the resistor that failed? Oddly the complete fan assembly with resistor is cheaper than the resistor alone so replacing the assembly makes more sense.

-Steve

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
yeah, I wouldn't think so either, but the fan section definitely had a burnt electronics smell to it. either way for a 100 bucks, i say meh, replace it all. the red wire from the thermistor section to the fan also looked like it got very hot as well.

Last edited:

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
When you say "thermistor" are you referring to the fan resistor?

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
yup, I also pulled those little metal clips off the fan shroud assembly before i chucked it, those are usually outrageously priced.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back