Strano Perfromance MT-82 Shift Improvement kit

heeltoe

Reaction score
The clutch line restriction slows down the clutch engagement if the pedal is sidestepped. It reduces torsional shock on the drivetrain components all the way from the tires to the harmonic damper. All BMW manual transmission cars have a restrictor fitting in the clutch line except for the "M" cars, which don't.

Is anyone game for getting this thread back on topic?

The Steeda bracket looks a lot like the JHR bracket. Maybe I should buy one so I can compare them...

from my experience M Cars do have the restrictor

icckart

Reaction score
Just about every tune out there disables skip shift so no real need to disconnect it.

How funny! So you ASSUME everyone is going to get a tune, and thus it's not a problem? Guess you've not read the new TSB Ford issued, alerting dealers to look for signs of a tune and then submit the paperwork to void the owners warranty.

I'm not getting a tune AND the simple procedure associated with pulling a connector has eliminated an annoyance. I suspect (from reading MANY post on MT82 issues) some percentage of owners are attributing the skip-shift lockout to an MT82 problem - natural enough mistake if 1) you don't know how skip shift works, and 2) you listen to all the MT82 doom-and-gloom hype. That's largely why, after several 100's of posts (and "made" status) I've switched forums - too much "the sky is falling" MT82 BS - over "there".

icckart

Reaction score
Is anyone game for getting this thread back on topic?

So is the ONLY thing that's "on topic" any type of discussion of Sam's kit? If so, what is there to discuss? I didn't intend to hijack his thread, but rather to point out some info members here might not know (since it's on another forum), which is directly related to a MT82 "fix" kit concept. Just a different theory of how to POSSIBLY (no proof yet) help improve shifting.

The Steeda bracket looks a lot like the JHR bracket. Maybe I should buy one so I can compare them...
Adam JHR wrote that "other" vendors copied their design. He didn't elaborate. Does the Steeda design have a split bushing (one nice feature of the JHR design when it comes to installation)?

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
How funny! So you ASSUME everyone is going to get a tune, and thus it's not a problem? Guess you've not read the new TSB Ford issued, alerting dealers to look for signs of a tune and then submit the paperwork to void the owners warranty.

I'm not getting a tune AND the simple procedure associated with pulling a connector has eliminated an annoyance. I suspect (from reading MANY post on MT82 issues) some percentage of owners are attributing the skip-shift lockout to an MT82 problem - natural enough mistake if 1) you don't know how skip shift works, and 2) you listen to all the MT82 doom-and-gloom hype. That's largely why, after several 100's of posts (and "made" status) I've switched forums - too much "the sky is falling" MT82 BS - over "there".

You do realize if you change shifters or add the bracket that Ford can void your transmission warranty don't you??

Last edited:

icckart

Reaction score
Agreed.. besides that's not any issue with how the shifter itself works unless you are getting into the skip-shift in the first place. It's either active or it's not regardless of it being hooked up.

I respectfully disagree. Skip-shift effectively locks out 2nd and 3rd (and yes, I do know all the details of exactly WHEN it's active - speed, TPS, RPM). I wonder of SOME owners are mistaking the skip-shift lockout for "real" MT82 is F'd up lockout problems. Yes I understand you'd have to be pretty - uhm, non-mechanically inclined (and probably not reading this thread anyway) to make that mistake. Still, is it POSSIBLE that the solenoid at least partially contributes to a shifter alignment problem??? After all, it IS a mechanical system that moves something internally (I don't know the details - never read them posted)...

My point is: It doesn't COST anything to pull a connector! Maybe it doesn't have an effect, but hey, it's easy and free to try...

icckart

Reaction score
You do realize if you change shifters or add the bracket that Ford can void you transmission warranty don't you??

Indeed - BUT... If I go in for any warranty work I fully intend to re-connect skip-shift AND replace the OEM bracket so there are no visible signs. There's been much debate (and little real info) about how/whether a dealer tech. can detect/suspect a tune WAS present, even if you re-flash to stock.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
from my experience M Cars do have the restrictor

My E39 M5 didn't and neither did my E92 M3. Others, well, if you say so.

The trick was that BMW had a straight-through version of the fitting that looked identical on the outside to the restrictor fitting. So every car was fitted with something that looked like a "restrictor fitting" on the clutch slave cylinder, but some of the fittings didn't actually restrict anything.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Good little read, i will aim this towards my buddy that has a 2011 5.0 with the MT-82.

heeltoe

Reaction score
My E39 M5 didn't and neither did my E92 M3. Others, well, if you say so.

The trick was that BMW had a straight-through version of the fitting that looked identical on the outside to the restrictor fitting. So every car was fitted with something that looked like a "restrictor fitting" on the clutch slave cylinder, but some of the fittings didn't actually restrict anything.

I had an E36 M3 S3 that had it. talk about a car that needed a shifter kit..lol

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
It works just fine in my car, and it's staying in my car until I see some reason it shouldn't--like my shifting get not better, but worse. I honestly think it's because they don't want to be blamed for any MT82 issues.

But, I changed the kit to remove the MTL so you guys can do what you want. New price: $319.99 for the Steeda Tri-Ax and Shifter bushing/bracket.

Reaction score
It works just fine in my car, and it's staying in my car until I see some reason it shouldn't--like my shifting get not better, but worse. I honestly think it's because they don't want to be blamed for any MT82 issues.

But, I changed the kit to remove the MTL so you guys can do what you want. New price: $319.99 for the Steeda Tri-Ax and Shifter bushing/bracket.

I just thought you should know so you didn't run into any issues. I think redline doesn't want to get caught in the mess either.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
just converted over to the MTL last night, first thing in the morning (even on very warm mornings) I would get the 1-2 syncro nibble with the stock fluid, with the MTL I did not get it this morning, the trans is very smooth and quiet

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back