Street Touring Pony (STP) - It's here!

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Per the last FasTrack:
The SEB and STAC would like to propose the following class, designated STP, for inclusion as a Supplemental class for
all National level Solo events and optional inclusion in Regional events beginning 1/1/2016. The allowances will mirror
those in the Street Touring category, with the following additions:
Tires:
STP, Independent Rear Suspension: 285 mm maximum width
STP, Live Axle Rear Suspension: 315 mm maximum width
Wheels:
STP, Independent Rear Suspension: 10” Maximum Width
STP, Live Axle Rear Suspension: 11” Maximum Width
Eligible Vehicles:
Chevrolet, Camaro (2010 - 2014) (SS) (V6) (excluding 1LE)
Chevrolet, Camaro (1993 - 2002) (SS, Z28, V6)
Dodge, Challenger (2008 - 2015) (N/A)
Dodge, Charger (2006 - 2015) (N/A)
Ford, Mustang (2005 - 2014) (GT, V6)
Ford, Mustang (1994 - 2004) (GT, V6)
American RWD V8 powered sedans, must be naturally aspirated with a wheelbase greater than 100” and a listed
curb weight greater than 3200#, NOC (not eligible for national level competition)
The STAC and SEB would like member feedback on this new class proposal. In addition specific feedback is requested
on the potential inclusion of ‘80s Mustangs/Camaros.

Discuss.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
AWESOME. Just saw this and have been posting it all over facebook.

Now that diff covers, diff bushings, LCA's, and LCA relo brackets are open, this really is the "correct" street tire mustang class.

I bet the 285/315 IRS/SRA rule could come under fire...I would probably make a formula with weight, power, and tire width, but that wouldn't be easy at all. At first glance, and given the tires out there, the sizes look good.

BUT who's to say the 275 RE71R isn't just faster than everything else anyway? Get those 315 Rival S's while you can folks.

Submitted my letter of support....write yours!!!!

Last edited:

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score
FINALLY!

I will submit a support letter soon.

One thing, if the 1993-2002 Camaro is to be allowed (initially), the shared-platform Firebirds and Trans Ams should be as well.

Also, they forgot the GTO (I have friends who drive them, although not the most competitive car, STP is where it belongs).

What do you guys think about including some of the 80's cars?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
The GTO will make it in under the NOC, along with S550's, some foxes, and third gen camaros, and pretty much all the classic ones too as long as they meet the weight.

I don't think the older cars will kill the class...the universally archaic suspension designs and the low power compared to the modern cars, and the 3200# min weight (without driver apparently?) will keep it even IMO.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
NOC means not eligible for national competition. I'm writing in about the 2015 mustang issue and 1le since both are leduh additions that wont be dominant because of the tire limitations.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Thought it was Not Otherwise Classified.

But yes they do have the "not national eligible" stipulation in the STP proposal. I think the 1LE's definitely need to be allowed, given they get some non-stock wheels and put 285's on them.

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Not scared of a 1le outside of F-street. Bring them on. This is the class that'll actually get me to keep my car. Won't lie. I was ready to ditch it in favor of a c5z but now that I could have a place to be competitive on street tires I'm in.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
What's the power limit for this class?

No limit. Regular street touring rules. So exhaust, tunes, CAI are permitted. No induction changes, must retain cats, cant change intake manifold. Can't really touch shortblock or heads.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Thought it was Not Otherwise Classified.

But yes they do have the "not national eligible" stipulation in the STP proposal. I think the 1LE's definitely need to be allowed, given they get some non-stock wheels and put 285's on them.

It does stand for Not Otherwise Classified but it means the cars wont be eligible for national competition. None of the NOC eligible cars are legal for National Competition in any class so that's a bit of a rub. My letter will include classification for the S550 and the 1LE since short of gearing changes, the 1LE is still a 3800lb pig and I don't think it'll be faster in ST trim than an ST S550 or ST S197.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
It does stand for Not Otherwise Classified but it means the cars wont be eligible for national competition. None of the NOC eligible cars are legal for National Competition in any class so that's a bit of a rub. My letter will include classification for the S550 and the 1LE since short of gearing changes, the 1LE is still a 3800lb pig and I don't think it'll be faster in ST trim than an ST S550 or ST S197.

I said as much in my letter.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I am in the minority. Way too many classes as it is. Should just keep the pony cars where they are and allow more tire or something. They can't make a class for every car and every situation.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
I guess I am in the minority. Way too many classes as it is. Should just keep the pony cars where they are and allow more tire or something. They can't make a class for every car and every situation.

Rumble Rumble Rumble "Unintended Consequences" rumble rumble rumble...

that was the excuse I was given against wider wheels/tires in STU or STX for Pony Cars.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score

Normally I would agree 100%, but late model pony cars are too popular to ignore.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Normally I would agree 100%, but late model pony cars are too popular to ignore.

Very true, but isn't that what CAM and ESP is for? I guess I just don't understand wanting to run street tires. The pony cars are certainly not a good fit in the current street touring classes as the rules are written.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Very true, but isn't that what CAM and ESP is for? I guess I just don't understand wanting to run street tires. The pony cars are certainly not a good fit in the current street touring classes as the rules are written.

CAM is dumb. No real rules...the class won't survive, and shouldn't survive now that we have a real class for most of the cars CAM targets. I could see the persistence of CAMT, and maybe CAMS if they let vettes and vipers back in, but CAMC needs to get axed.

Don't understand street tires??? Why not??? No tire changing at events, smaller tire budget, easier to drive, need I go on?

ESP is a good class...it's the good race tire class...now there is a good street tire class too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back