Street Touring Pony (STP) - It's here!

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
You can attempt to justify the class with exaggerations as much as you like, doesn't help it make any more sense as an addition to CAM. What about the other pony cars that won't be competitive against the newer Mustangs like fox bodies? What's next, ST old as fuck P? 40 run A7s?

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
And at nationals, people are not going to run 100 run Rivals, just like no one will be on anything but sticker or scrubbed in A7s if the pointy end of the spectrum is what you want to argue.

No matter what, people will cry when their car isn't uber competitive.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
You can attempt to justify the class with exaggerations as much as you like, doesn't help it make any more sense as an addition to CAM. What about the other pony cars that won't be competitive against the newer Mustangs like fox bodies? What's next, ST old as fuck P? 40 run A7s?

It's fine in addition to cam. The SCCA clearly doesn't have any interest in making cam a "real" class, and I suspect that the next couple years will see ESP fall to E92 M3's and such. FS this year is probably writing on the wall for that. So that leaves us with....FS. F Sucks. Fuck Street. Whatever you want to call it. Which is a BMW class now anyway. So....where do you run mustang in a "real" class in the next couple years? Without STP, the answer is "nowhere."

I'm not exaggerating on anything price wise. An ESP winning S197 is WAY more expensive than an STP winning car. Yes of course you buy new tires for nationals. That's a $1500 expenditure that's relevant to a very tiny population of SCCA autocrossers.

It's probably fine for fox bodies to fade. It hasn't been a relevant car for 25 years. The Ford Contour faded too. There's all the fun in CP or CAMC for people who insist on autocrossing a fox.

If we want to look at too many classes for old stuff....DP, EP, GP, FP, and the way too many modifieds.

Last edited:

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
And at nationals, people are not going to run 100 run Rivals, just like no one will be on anything but sticker or scrubbed in A7s if the pointy end of the spectrum is what you want to argue.

No matter what, people will cry when their car isn't uber competitive.

Bull shit they didn't. There were guys that tested the RE71R's from Nats and found new ones to actually be slower than 150 run ones... tread squirm. They counted the number of runs on the practice course it took before the tires were comparable time wise and it was around 20-30 runs before the 71R's were running the same times at well used 150 run RE71R's.

I have no doubt there were people who drove to the event on older Rival-S tires and ran them and then drove home on them. A lot of the F-Street guys came to the event on the tires they bought months prior to the event.

Also, 100 runs might work for the Rival-S but the Rival-S isn't close at all to the RE71R on the concrete at Lincoln... still about a half second slower than the RE71R and BFG has been doing A LOT of testing at Lincoln. I suspect the next "Rival" will be ridiculous. The RE71R is seeing 120-200 runs depending on the car and how it wears tires. That's ridiculously good. The people at those runs are getting class winning times at National Tours against good competition at those run numbers. Never mind all the other benefits street tires provide for a marginal hit in grip.

Speaking of, my F-Street 2015 Mustang with only the camber mod done up front (stock shocks/struts, swaybar, wheels, brakes, pads, fluids, etc) was pulling 1.1-1.2g lateral, 1.0-1.1g in braking and .7-.8g in acceleration on 275/35/19 RE71R's. That's DAMN impressive numbers for a street tire on a nearly completely stock car.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
So no one is shaving new street tires? Bullshit. I'm sure all the class winners at nationals were running really old tires. Of course you went and I didn't, I just highly doubt all the top tier guys showed up with old rubber when guys have shown up with a set of stickers for every run in the past. Tread squirm obviously is an issue, guys have been shaving tires for years.

Not sure why I am even arguing. Just hate adding classes to a sport that has way too many classes as it is.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Modern 200 TW Tires Have Lower Costs Per Run

Mark Aubele- we appreciate your passion for ESP, that's great (even if you don't run it seriously - by your own admission you are more of a hillclimb guy). But at the National level the "I just run on scrubs" game doesn't work in any SP class. Even in many regions you will get your ass handed to you "on scrubs" if a competitive SP car shows up on fresh tires. When it comes to Hoosiers in Solo, most of the top 5 guys at Nationals are running sticker sets. Each day.

DSC_4451-M.jpg

On first runs each day at Nationals you will see a lot of stickers on the tires, like above

And the rumors are true - we've seen guys in Stock class in the past use a sticker set for each run. Stock category is so much better off now that they have ditched the Hoosier crutch and gone to street tires - more people can afford to run in Street and the rush of competitors to that category is huge. Have the 200 treadwear tires gotten softer and faster? Of course. Are they anywhere near the R-compounds of 2 years ago? Not at all.

DSC_5867-M.jpg

We have built a dozen cars since 2004 for STU, STX and STS that people at Vorshlag have raced personally

I've run ST classes at 150+ autocross events over the past ten years, and SP classes at 100+ autocrosses in the last 25 years. I just co-drove on the RE71R in STX at a Regional and we are putting Rival-S tires on multiple customer cars for track and autocross. The Rival-S and RE71R are the two top contenders in Street Touring at the moment, but they are also very popular on endurance cars and track cars, due to their high grip and high wear vs R-compounds.

B61G2156-M.jpg

I have tracked the wear of these top ST tires and dozens of R-compound models, felt the grip driving in anger, and the latest crop of ST tires are not in the same league as even the old school V710 (which is many years past its prime). R-compounds are faster, and VERY fun to drive, but they are in a different class of wear.

DSC_8950-L.jpg

A stack of five 315 Rival-S tires almost equals the height of four ESP legal Hoosier A7s (335/345)

The tire costs ARE radically higher on Hoosiers vs even the newest Rival-S and RE71R. And I've burned through many dozens of sets of new Hoosiers and new 140+ treadwear street tires in competition over the years to know the difference.

DSC_4506-M.jpg

Mark Council's "costs per run" calculations here are pretty damn spot on. Expect to pay triple tire costs on competitive R-comps (that means A7s) vs Rival-S for STP (315mm Rival-S vs 275mm RE71R = BFG wins). The Hoosier drops off significantly after about 30-40 runs, then there is "rubber left" but its best left to Regional events.

ESP Ain't STP + Race Tires

11206858_10155577951845078_6093033125267735869_o-M.jpg

As for "STP is just ESP without the fun" (ie: on street tires), I think you should re-read the ST and SP rules, as there are massive differences in class rules/prep limits (which can add up to $30K+ in cost differences between a top prepped STP and ESP cars for the same S197 model). Other than the hood and rear wing, our 2011 GT (above) wasn't that far off what a winning ESP car should look like, as far as prep. Big dollar shocks, bone crushing spring rates, low and legal length splitter (lop 2" of length off that one above), wide fender flares to house 335/345mm Hoosier A7s, Torson T2-R, lightweight racing seats. That was roughly a $90,000 build...

DSC_4447-M.jpg

To be maxed out for ESP it still needed the A/C ripped out, no roll bar, no rear seat (Laguna Seca kit), wider wheels (18x13" rear), super-light autox only brakes, a forged bottom end Boss302 long block for higher revs, maybe a different intake/TB, 450+ whp, 10" rear spoiler (circa 1960!), an uber-light flywheel and triple disc clutch. And new tires 3-4 times per season. Money money money. I've run against 7 time ESP Champion Maddarash many times and he didn't mess around with using scrub tires or skimping on prep.

B61G6672-M.jpg

This 7.25" triple disc setup and its 14 pounds with the flywheel. The 5.5" units are lighter still

Driving a full prep SP car is a real chore. The clutch is the worst part - its an on/off switch and you will stall it often in the grid, and NEVER want to drive it anywhere else. It feels great on course (as my 7.25" triple does in our TTC Corvette), but its a nightmare to use anywhere else.

DSC_4528-M.jpg

I'm not trying to discourage people from building for ESP, but if you have goals outside of your local Region, they need to know the truth. This is an EXPENSIVE class to run in. We were figuring $75,000 to build our 2013 GT into an ESP winning car for 2013... then the SEB changed a bunch of rules and the cost:benefit ratio just didn't make sense. And since 2013 they've allowed in more and more "non-pony cars". Some of what they are allowing in makes no sense to the Old Guard, and people like Maddarash have left. The same has happened to F Street - with BMWs taking most of the top 10 at 2015 Nationals.

DSC_6363-M.jpg

When we had the car in STX and STU trim, Amy still daily drove her Mustang. It rode great

Alternatively, STP has very finite prep limits and is ONLY PONY CARS. The STP rules allow us to fix all of the suspension and tire flaws on these cars, it gives us headers + cold air + tuning, and has several competitive cars listed. There are no expensive fender flares needed, and the class max width 11" wheels fit under the S197, 4th gen F-body, and 3rd gen F-body. The S550 and 5th gen Camaro can easily fit the 18x10s (sorry Fox/SN95 guys, but your cars can't legally fit the 11" wide wheels). You can still do and should do good dampers/springs/camber adjustment ion STP, but running 1000# springs makes no sense on the lower grip street tires, so you really COULD still street drive an STP car (like on a 550/250 rate setup). No aero allowed, no uber-light flywheel/clutches, no update/backdate allowances, no custom intakes/EFI/fuel systems, no Hoosier tire bills.

B61G9564-M.jpg

Yes, the 315mm Rival-S is a bit spendy, but if you DON'T DAILY DRIVE ON THEM you will get a lot more competitive runs out of a set of those versus a Hoosier - figure 3-4 times as many runs. With 7.5/32" of tread depth and lots of big tread blocks, there's not a point in shaving the Rival-S, either.

DSC_8949-M.jpg

BFGoodrich Rival-S in 315/30/18 doesn't have enough tread void or tread depth to need shaving

Anyone that wants to join the SCCA STP Facebook group (people who are thinking of running, not trolls and haters) just click here. 170 members in the first day it was created.

cheers,

Last edited:

Whiskey11

Reaction score
So no one is shaving new street tires? Bullshit. I'm sure all the class winners at nationals were running really old tires. Of course you went and I didn't, I just highly doubt all the top tier guys showed up with old rubber when guys have shown up with a set of stickers for every run in the past. Tread squirm obviously is an issue, guys have been shaving tires for years.

Not sure why I am even arguing. Just hate adding classes to a sport that has way too many classes as it is.

People have been running and winning on non-shaved tires for 4-5 years now. And I struggle to think of, off the top of my head, more than maybe 3 people that shaved RE71R's or Rival S tires going into Nationals this year.

The RE71R's compound cycles in which is why it gets faster after 20-30 autocross runs. This was proven by several people in tire tests with shaved vs full... didn't matter where they started at, it was always faster after 20-30 runs than brand spanking new and times between shaved and "full" were within driver noise.

The new tires take heat better and don't chunk either so not much point in shaving aside from "feel".

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireResultsServlet?tab=ALL&width=315%2F&ratio=30&diameter=18&zipCode=#0

Someone explain the cost savings of STP for me again?

The only thing this class ends up being is ESP on street tires with less fun. Or CAM without the fun.

The equation is simple for muscle cars and autocross, as it relates to being competitive and your budget. What someone is willing to spend depends on if you just want to have fun, win locally, win regionally, or win nationally.

STP: Has a very finite cap as the rules reign in modding out of control. One could fully build for this class and only have an entry level ESP car.

ESP: All the mods from above, add Hoosiers, but now plan on flaring the car, adding giant wheels and stripping the car to reduce weight. Also plan on trailering the car and spending on what that entails. This could go on and on. One could fully build for this class and only have an entry level CAM car (per CAM rules)

CAM: All the mods from above, and then dream up what ever else: Ford GT engine swapped S197 with tube chassis and carbon fiber body, legal and $$$$$.

Shit this thing is a smaller splitter and 2wd away from being a legal CAM-T car:

Of course there are exceptions to all of this. I autocross in CAM currently, and do fairly well. I think I would have done OK at Nats too with the current CAM builds out there, but that doesn't mean some unicorn build isn't already on the way to be a class crusher. I know I don't have money to do it. I could also run in ESP currently and would do well (even on street tires as our region is soft in ESP). That doesn't mean I've got the right car for ESP, and definitely dont on the national level.

Some people like how capped the rules of street touring are as it creates very tight competition. Hell I can already see the ceiling as I've already got all the mods allowable for the class, so at this point I only need to spend money on tires, I'm OK with that.

Proper ESP builds and most certainly CAM are a race to the top of the spending tree, STP is not.

Last edited:

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Modern 200 TW Tires Have Lower Costs Per Run

Mark Aubele- we appreciate your passion for ESP, that's great (even if you don't run it seriously - by your own admission you are more of a hillclimb guy). But at the National level the "I just run on scrubs" game doesn't work in any SP class. Even in many regions you will get your ass handed to you "on scrubs" if a competitive SP car shows up on fresh tires. When it comes to Hoosiers in Solo, most of the top 5 guys at Nationals are running sticker sets. Each day.

I run ESP "seriously" (not a complete 100% full on build) in Hillclimbs until I move to SM or build another car, but no, I do not autocross the car nationally. Although the car does PAX very well in our local region against many guys who run national events (Steel Cities region), but that is like comparing apples to oranges. Not trying to compare local events to national, but I honestly think the car would be competitive at a Tour which I may do at some point, but I will not be dragging the car across the country to run a few autocross runs. With that attitude I admittedly shouldn't be commenting on the issue. I mostly autocross to get seat time.

And I didn't run on scrubs this year, I ran on A7s bought new, and from what I have seen they stay fast a lot longer than A6s. Have R6s for track days and TT.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
When they figure out the huge IRS advantage isn't huge, then the IRS guys have to go and buy another set of wheels. Make it 11s for all, 285s for the IRS cars. The handicap still exists with the tire limit and it is way easier to adjust later.

You saw this, right? http://solomatters.com/class_report_f-street_comparison

The IRS cars didn't put seconds on the solid axle car. The 1LE with it's 10/11 wheel combo was .4 faster than a Shelby GT with 300hp and a weak diff. on 8.5" wheels. An STP prepped coyote S197 with will swing that the other way right quick.

Would you discard factory 11" wheels to install 10" wheels on your 1LE?

Where were these guys when we wanted allowances for solid axle in STX?!?

I'm not even going to STP, but the logic doesn't make any sense to me, ranking right up there with the watts link debacle.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
This is probably the result of wanting wheel allowances for solid axle in STX.

I can see your point, but I disagree that it won't be an advantage for people who aren't national champion drivers.

Let's maybe give it a year under provisional status before crucifixion.

Thinkkker

Reaction score
My only problem is that I have to do a lot to take my car back to STP prep.....

I would need to remove the Watts, go back to stock or aftermarket Panhard
14.8.g.3. A Panhard rod may be added or replaced.

I think I am legal here
14.10.E. Catalytic converters: Any catalytic converters are allowed, but must attach
within 6” (152.4 mm) of the original unit. Multiple catalytic converters
may be replaced by a single unit. The inlet of the single replacement
converter may be located no further downstream than 6” (152.4
mm) along the piping flow path from the original exit of the final OE
converter. The extents of an OE converter are defined by the expansion
chamber in which the catalyst is contained, regardless of placement
within larger exhaust sections. Replacement converters must have a
minimum catalyst density of 100 cells per inch and minimum substrate
length of 3” (76.2 mm).

The biggest issue is the Diff in the car. Rather, that is legal, but I have 3.73's. Which means that I am illegal for the year model since only '08 Bullitts offer this. So, trade back and make a 3.55 rear gear STP car with a new panhard.

Fair is right on ESP and I drove badly, but I can tell you on Day 2 that it there was some definate car differences in that time. Namely 150hp difference. PLUS since we have another kiddo stopping in, I don't know that the wife will be to happy if I continue on get a 5.0 in the car.....

Whiskey11

Reaction score
My only problem is that I have to do a lot to take my car back to STP prep.....

I would need to remove the Watts, go back to stock or aftermarket Panhard
14.8.g.3. A Panhard rod may be added or replaced.

I think I am legal here
14.10.E. Catalytic converters: Any catalytic converters are allowed, but must attach
within 6” (152.4 mm) of the original unit. Multiple catalytic converters
may be replaced by a single unit. The inlet of the single replacement
converter may be located no further downstream than 6” (152.4
mm) along the piping flow path from the original exit of the final OE
converter. The extents of an OE converter are defined by the expansion
chamber in which the catalyst is contained, regardless of placement
within larger exhaust sections. Replacement converters must have a
minimum catalyst density of 100 cells per inch and minimum substrate
length of 3” (76.2 mm).

The biggest issue is the Diff in the car. Rather, that is legal, but I have 3.73's. Which means that I am illegal for the year model since only '08 Bullitts offer this. So, trade back and make a 3.55 rear gear STP car with a new panhard.

Fair is right on ESP and I drove badly, but I can tell you on Day 2 that it there was some definate car differences in that time. Namely 150hp difference. PLUS since we have another kiddo stopping in, I don't know that the wife will be to happy if I continue on get a 5.0 in the car.....

Watts is legal in ST. Same wording for SP in ST for 99% of the suspension allowances. Go check but I think the Bullitt is nothing more than an appearance package. I'm not sure there is anything on the car that isn't otherwise legal and the majority of the Bullitt could be comfort and convenienced away.

Thinkkker

Reaction score
In 06 the only gear option was 3.55. The 08 Bullitt came with 3.73, so not legal outside of update backdate.

So yea it's more than just appearrance.

And is the CDMP legal, that too.....

Last edited:

Whiskey11

Reaction score
In 06 the only gear option was 3.55. The 08 Bullitt came with 3.73, so not legal outside of update backdate.

So yea it's more than just appearrance.

And is the CDMP legal, that too.....

CMDP isn't legal. Up to but not including the throttle body.

IIRC the Bullitt package was 3.73's, different engine calibration (ECU is open), some slight suspension tweaks, and a few body panel things that could be C&C'd. I don't think there is much of anything "exclusive" to the Bullitt that isn't either legal or could be C&C'd in ST.

Here is what Motortrend is saying is different:
Different Shocks/Struts
Different Springs
Different Engine Tune
Strut Tower Brace
3.73 rear end
Heavier front crank damper (would have to change this, which... ok)
X-Pipe and different Mufflers
CAI
G-Force T/A Tires

Looks like you'd have to add the heavier front crank damper and possibly the front fascia to be "ST" legal "Bullitt" clone. Really... not much.

Thinkkker

Reaction score
I don't think there is much of anything "exclusive" to the Bullitt that isn't either legal or could be C&C'd in ST.

Right, but you cannot update backdate through years in ST. Correct? or did I miss a rules change. So, I cannot build a clone car unless I trade in mine to buy a '08.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Right, but you cannot update backdate through years in ST. Correct? or did I miss a rules change. So, I cannot build a clone car unless I trade in mine to buy a '08.

Correct. No UDBD until SP IIRC

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back