Stuck and frustrated.

RunnerInTheNight

forum member
Reaction score
So again my car overheated, last month, and I played with it and then lost my job due to a seasonal position and ran out of money.

Anyway... here is what I've replaced so far and the fans aren't spinning after running over ten minutes and you can feel the heat pour off the motor and the coolant starts to boil

Fan assembly
ECT (took me a month to figure out the clip thanks to an amazing neighbor)

Tested/Checked
Thermostat is solid
Relays are both good in the under hood fuse box
The cooling fan small fuse (green 40) under hood fuse box is solid
Fluid level was good but now a little low from the ECT replacement
All connections connected

I did move some grounds around but I re grounded right into the chassis and have done this before without a problem.

Any ideas? Help? :idea:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Your fan is not coming on, so that needs to be diagnosed.
The PCM controls the low and high speed through two different relays, by grounding one of the coils to energize the respective relay. If that is not occurring, the fan wont turn on. But, if the pcm is turning on the relays, the problem is in the high-current side of the circuit.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Cooling Fan.pdf

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check the connector that goes to your fan, it's prolly fried like mine was doing back in 2010. Wired it to run all the time and have no issues since

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check any burnt up wires or anything . The little box that has the red and black wires coming out of it. The black wire fired on mine . These wires go directly into the back of the fan.

uvyhaqaz.jpg

u3utadyj.jpg

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can kinda of see in the second pic of where the black wire used to come out of the little relay/black box.
You can see the little dot of copper for where the old wire came out of it

RunnerInTheNight

forum member
Reaction score
So I checked the PCM relays by replacing them with ones I knew worked and no spin, maybe it is the fan unit itself, boy that would be embarrassing. Take the whole unit out next time I can and hard wire and see if it spins. Ill still take suggestions though!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Without properly diagnosing things, you're just shotgunning when replacing things, hoping they'll work. Relays, I'd have done that too, since they are easy to swap and try.
The fan is not going to come on all the time, either.
Testing the fan by jumpering with a wire from the battery is reasonable, just use a big enough wire and do it carefully.

Remember you have 2 speeds on the fan, with high-speed being a direct link to the power, and low speed through a resistor at the plug on the fan. Although at the fan itself, there's only 2 wires, one for power, one for ground. Both go through the connector where the resister is located.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back