subframe connectors

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
I plan on installing a hitch on my 13 gt over the winter to allow my car to tow 2 jet skis (roughly 1500 lbs).

Would it be a good idea to install subframe connectors to help fight any kind of stretch or twitching of the body, and should I stiffen up my koni yellows? 3.55 mt82

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
Cars are damn stiff as is. Can jack up one corner and the other side lifts too. I wouldn't worry a bit about bending anything. I'd loosen the suspension up. Let the suspension do its job taking the bounce and jounces.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm more concerned that you would put a hitch on your mustang in the first place lol

claudermilk

Reaction score
I'm more concerned that you would put a hitch on your mustang in the first place lol
Hey now. I'm thinking about a hitch for my '13. For a tire trailer to make track days easier, and a nice spot to add a tow hook while on track.

FYI, I'm looking at the Curt 112101 at HitchAnything. Looks like it will work nicely & not stick out like a sore thumb on the street.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
If you're towing two skis, you're going to have to use a standard size receiver hitch. I've not seen one for our cars, only the smaller 1" size (or is it 1 1/2"?). In any case, make sure the receiver is strong enough to haul two 600 lb+ skis and a double trailer.

G.T

Reaction score
just attach the hitch to the rear axle and you're done!

claudermilk

Reaction score
The one I am looking at is 1 1/4". I think that's about all that is available, I doubt there is a 2" for the Mustang with it's small tow rating (it's only rated for 1000lbs). That Curt hitch shows as rated to 2000lbs & 200lbs tongue.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score

My car is my DD. I'm not going to pay extra money for a truck plus all the other cost just for jet skis when I know my stang can do it. If a small b2200 can do it I know a coyote can.

I haven't started looking at hitches just yet, I know I need a class 1 (not sure what that means yet) and the ones I see available for the s197 hold 2000 lbs and 200 lbs tongue weight which will work.

I'm going to go to a truck specialty shop and have them weld/bolt onto the back. Hopefully I can grab a hidden hitch...any tire recommendations ? I was looking at 275 conti extreme dw's

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
The one I am looking at is 1 1/4". I think that's about all that is available, I doubt there is a 2" for the Mustang with it's small tow rating (it's only rated for 1000lbs). That Curt hitch shows as rated to 2000lbs & 200lbs tongue.

Hopefully I will be able to share anything I find on the way...question ! Why does the mustang hhave a lower tow rating than any other ford vehicle? It's on part with the Taurus.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I've owed and raced skis for 12 years, and had lots of different tow/hitch configurations. I would never, ever tow a double trailer with a 1 1/4" hitch. My two cents, man - do what you want.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I plan on installing a hitch on my 13 gt over the winter to allow my car to tow 2 jet skis (roughly 1500 lbs).

So you're looking to tow a trailer set up that weighs about 1500lbs with a vehicle that's rated at 1000lbs? And that's with the stock suspension. I'm guessing with the Eibach springs you're no longer at stock height. I know there's no way we could tow anything with our Eibachs. We have to be careful over speed bumps will 4 people in the car.

Just because the engine has the power doesn't mean the rest of the vehicle can do it. My Mountaineer had enough power to pull my 21ft boat. But my Expedition tows it a lot better.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Theres a difference between power to tow it, and capable towering without breaking.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
I've owed and raced skis for 12 years, and had lots of different tow/hitch configurations. I would never, ever tow a double trailer with a 1 1/4" hitch. My two cents, man - do what you want.

+1! I own a Waverunner rental business and would never as well. Not to mention the tongue weight is going to severely sag your rear! A pair of 4 strokes on a nice double trailer is a decent load. I'm not sure what the rated towing is but I would assume it very very low if anything at all and I personally would advice against it. I would rent a wet slip or borrow a truck. Or buy an old s10 etc for $1500. Your prob going to spend close to $1000 and then proceed to bust your mustangs balls all summer! It's almost laughable to see the thread topic as "Subframe connectors" as that should be the last thing you should worry about.

Last edited:

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
So you're looking to tow a trailer set up that weighs about 1500lbs with a vehicle that's rated at 1000lbs? And that's with the stock suspension. I'm guessing with the Eibach springs you're no longer at stock height. I know there's no way we could tow anything with our Eibachs. We have to be careful over speed bumps will 4 people in the car.

Just because the engine has the power doesn't mean the rest of the vehicle can do it. My Mountaineer had enough power to pull my 21ft boat. But my Expedition tows it a lot better.

Bmr springs/koni yellow...the s197 is stiffer than small mazda and ranger trucks...I've seen s197's and vettes tow more. If I felt it unsafe in any way I wouldn't be doing it. I'm doing my research before I make my decision.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score

I'm here for advice

+1! I own a Waverunner rental business and would never as well. Not to mention the tongue weight is going to severely sag your rear! A pair of 4 strokes on a nice double trailer is a decent load. I'
+1! I own a Waverunner rental business and would never as well. Not to mention the tongue weight is going to severely sag your rear! A pair of 4 strokes on a nice double trailer is a decent load. I'm not sure what the rated towing is but I would assume it very very low if anything at all and I personally would advice against it. I would rent a wet slip or borrow a truck. Or buy an old s10 etc for $1500. Your prob going to spend close to $1000 and then proceed to bust your mustangs balls all summer! It's almost laughable to see the thread topic as "Subframe connectors" as that should be the last thing you should worry about.
m not sure what the rated towing is but I would assume it very very low if anything at all and I personally would advice against it. I would rent a wet slip or borrow a truck. Or buy an old s10 etc for $1500. Your prob going to spend close to $1000 and then proceed to bust your mustangs balls all summer! It's almost laughable to see the thread topic as "Subframe connectors" as that should be the last thing you should worry about.

it shouldn't be no more than 100 lbs tongue weight..I have had up to 200 lbs in my truck on stock suspension,

Last edited:

DOFORLIFE

forum member
Reaction score
I imagine the tow rating is low because of the cars ability to handle its load. You have to take into account your brakes, suspension, tires, and chassis. The motor can take it just fine but the transmission might not be designed to handle that sort of load along with the brakes, tires, and such. I think you should use your head and think it threw before committing to this. The car is rated at 1000 lbs towing for a reason and a mustang was not ever designed to do that to begin with. The car is not going to ride well and not gonna have the control and power to stop it's self with a trailer that weights almost half as much as the car does.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
I'm here for advice

it shouldn't be no more than 100 lbs tongue weight..I have had up to 200 lbs in my truck on stock suspension,

Good luck man. I'm not bashing by any means. Just have a lot of years of experience towing waverunners and I personally wouldn't do it with a stang. And even at 100lbs tongue weight I would still be very concerned with sag ESPECIALLY when your backing down the ramp where most of them have a fairly abrupt angle you have to overcome. Easy to go from flat parking lot to ramp slope in a truck, maybe not so much with the mustang? Good luck either way.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Neighbor had an IROC-Z that he would tow a small aluminum fishing boat with. He said he would never do that again. Towing trailers with a sports car is a huge no-no, especially ones that go beyond the manufacturer's limit. I see Vette's come to the track with hitches, but they only use them for tire racks that go on them, nothing else.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back