Suggest me a tire setup

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
I hate to post one of these vague threads, but really would like to hear some opinions. I got a deal on 18x10 SVE drifts (square setup) locally and need to find tires for the wheels. This is my first square setup and running a 10 inch wheel up front so I'm a little 'lost' on what to do in regards to tire size.

My car is a 2012 GT, suspension mods are koni yellows & steeda ultra lites.

My car is not my daily driver, however I drive it frequently on days off, road trips, etc. I also auto-x occasionally. Never drag race (not looking for a drag tire).

What tire setup would be a nice all around fit for the occasional auto-x that won't rub or give me any issues. What sizes do you guys recommend for an 18x10 setup?

Also I'm open to tire suggestions, I'm heavily leaning towards RS3's but am open to suggestions if someone has them. I ran hankook V12's on my last mustang and wasn't super impressed with them.

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Continental DW's. I have them in 255/45 on my Bullitt all around and my GF runs them at 275/40 all around on her RTR's. We absolutely love those tires.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
For autox, skip those conti's. I'd go 275/40/18 Bridgestone RE11.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Get a Nitto 555 or BFG KDW. Good all around tire that's sporty enough to handle well. Don't burn off sticky tires by driving boring commutes to the grocery store on them.

Both are available in 285/40's, so the height and width will be right.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
For autox, skip those conti's. I'd go 275/40/18 Bridgestone RE11.

275 on a 10 inch wheel? Seems a little narrow?

Get a Nitto 555 or BFG KDW. Good all around tire that's sporty enough to handle well. Don't burn off sticky tires by driving boring commutes to the grocery store on them.

Both are available in 285/40's, so the height and width will be right.

Thanks for the suggestions.

That's been my dilemma with this, as much as I want to have a badass auto-x setup I rarely ever go anyways, so I guess I want a good 'all around' tire and a setup that fits the wheels nice and looks great, and will at least be capable of running the occasional auto-x event.

What are opinions on width? Seems like the common opinion is run 285's all the way around, anyone think I should run a wider tire on the back? Like 305's or something?

Gotten so many opinions on this I think I've gotten to the point where I'm overthinking it... I'm sure we've all been there ... lol

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
275 on a 10 is great for handling applications. 305 is way too big.

All nittos suck for autocross.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
275 on a 10 is great for handling applications. 305 is way too big.

All nittos suck for autocross.

Yea I just don't want the tire to look stretched. Maybe I'm just asking for too much here but I want a good balance of looks and performance. I was running 275's on my old 9 inch wheels on my last mustang. 285s would probably be the route I'm going to go.

Appreciate the input on 305's by the way, helps put that argument to rest :beer:

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running 285/40 Michelin A/S 3s all around on my car and love them. The dry and wet grip on these tires is phenomenal. They also handle the corners on my "spirited drives" a whole lot better than the 275/40 MT Street Comps I had.

Another option to look at.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I just don't want the tire to look stretched. Maybe I'm just asking for too much here but I want a good balance of looks and performance. I was running 275's on my old 9 inch wheels on my last mustang. 285s would probably be the route I'm going to go.

Appreciate the input on 305's by the way, helps put that argument to rest :beer:

Ha...well stretched is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

A 285 works great on a 10 as well. 295...depends on the tire. Some are too big (Rivals) and other fit ok (NT05) but try and find a picture first.

This is all from a track/autox p.o.v. I know the straight line and show'n'shine people can be sloppier with fitment and get away with it...but lateral g's are a hell of a thing.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
Here is my 18x10 square setup. Bridgestone re760 sport 275/40 front 295/35 rear, love them in wet and dry and great cornering. Affordable cost also.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Yea I just don't want the tire to look stretched.
I suppose you could define 275's on 10's as being stretched, but it's by only a small amount (1/2" up from the measuring width of 9.5"). Visually, it would be just enough to make the car look a little more serious about cornering without being blatant about it.

The lawn chair and crying dolls set might not care for the look, but then again they might not be a good primary source of information for anything involving handling and hard cornering anyway.

Norm

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
These are 19x10 rear and 19x9 front, with 275-35 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires. I've just ordered replacements, Super Sports, 275-35 front and 285-35 rear.

Mustang5.0MissionBayLRV_8817.jpg

Mustang5.0MissionBayRFV_8824.jpg

The fronts are 26.6" tall, rears 26.9. Mr Tire Rack tells me the 295-35s are OK on 10-inch rims, and they are 27.1", same as stock.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I am running a 18X10" square set up with Conti ExtremeContact DW in 285/40/18, and I love them.

However, I recently won a set of BFG Comp 2's at the autocross school during Mustang Week, and will be trying them out next in a 275/40/18.

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
I don't autocross but I definitely love my RE760s for spirited daily driving. On my second set now. Had NT555s, Goodyear supercars, HTRZ-IIs, and a few others and the RE760s are definitely the best all around and best bang for you buck in my opinion.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back