swflastang05's build thread

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
Man you have a great attitude towards this. Best of luck on the next build. I have learned quite a bit from your posts, especially this thread and the ARP head studs

Last edited:

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I like your decision on new pistons, rods checked and injectors checked. Now for the big question weight vs. strength...

Yep, Soon as I get to speak with L&M I'll be able to make a better decision and which block to go with this time. I anticipate he will tell me to use the alum block again though.

Coming back harder better stronger. :ryu:
Hell yea lol

Man you have a great attitude towards this. Best of luck on the next build. I have learnt quite a bit from your posts, especially this thread and the ARP head studs

It's all part of the experience, you know the sequence, something like build it, race it, break it, build it again! It sucks going through all the motors but I learn something new each time and can improve, and go a little faster and be a little stronger, hopefully.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, Soon as I get to speak with L&M I'll be able to make a better decision and which block to go with this time. I anticipate he will tell me to use the alum block again though.

Hell yea lol

It's all part of the experience, you know the sequence, something like build it, race it, break it, build it again! It sucks going through all the motors but I learn something new each time and can improve, and go a little faster and be a little stronger, hopefully.

Wow, never saw a block broke like that, but if yer' gunna' break it, GO BIG ..

I'd go back to an aluminum block, Oil intrusion on cyl #5 and hitting it with a 300 shot of gas caused mine to lift the drive side head, twice and it survived.

I saw your post about the blow by you were seeing and I'd surmise the rings lifted and dumped oil on that side.

As far as new piston/rings.. I was talked into running the new MAHLE 1mm top/bottom/2mm oil ring pack with a custom Diamond flat top piston for a 11:1 cr motor while I'm waiting on my sleeved big bore block .. :disgust:

I have to say I.m impressed with these rings, after 3,000 miles they pull more vacuum, have less blow by, cost less than Total Steel AP rings I had been using ... It also took less than 80in-lbs to rotate the assembled short block .. that's free HP there ..

Good luck with the new build ...

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score

They count the side bolt, not the side by side bolts, You'd need to drill and tap for the extra bolt pair ..

m5lp_0809_04_z%2b324_c_i_boss_5_0%2bundersized_block.jpg

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
They count the side bolt, not the side by side bolts, You'd need to drill and tap for the extra bolt pair ..

m5lp_0809_04_z%2b324_c_i_boss_5_0%2bundersized_block.jpg

That is true on the count, but its not quite that simple though, there is a void under the main where the additional stud needs to go. You have to make custom mains for it. It also requires machining the block.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
That is true on the count, but its not quite that simple though, there is a void under the main where the additional stud needs to go. You have to make custom mains for it. It also requires machining the block.

That's why I'm having my aluminum block sleeved rather than use the Boss block, It'll be cheaper an easier in the end than machining the FRPP block ..

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
How much boost due you plan to run on it, and whos sleeves?

I'm planning a turbo build around a Turbonetics 7875, @20+, plus whatever spray it takes [likely 400hp worth] to trap 165+ to shutdown these stripped out grudge cars around here,, I'm tired of getting my ass kicked by em'.

The block has been sleeved with the Darton Coyote sleeves, the issue I'm having with it is the Cometic gasket was made for the iron Boss block and doesn't have the raised bosses around the water passages like the standard bore Cometic, the Coyote gasket also has the raised embossing so it seals .

I've talked to Cometic about getting a standard bore gasket cut out to 3.700" but they won't do it.

Soooo, the machine shop is pulling the sleeves, re-decking the block and going to reinstall the sleeve with .001" left above the block deck so that should allow the gasket to seal.

If that doesn't work I'll use a dremel and auger out a stock bore gasket myself. And if that still don't werk, we'll plug the passages and drill holes to match the gasket.

These Coyote sleeves will not move, they have a large lip that keeps them locked in place.

Cost was 950 for the sleeves, 750 to install.

Sleeves going in ..

Sorry for the thread jack .,.

Attachments

• 4-6L_Darton_Sleeves_Going_In.jpg
    4-6L_Darton_Sleeves_Going_In.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 23

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I'm planning a turbo build around a Turbonetics 7875, @20+, plus whatever spray it takes [likely 400hp worth] to trap 165+ to shutdown these stripped out grudge cars around here,, I'm tired of getting my ass kicked by em'.

The block has been sleeved with the Darton Coyote sleeves, the issue I'm having with it is the Cometic gasket was made for the iron Boss block and doesn't have the raised bosses around the water passages like the standard bore Cometic, the Coyote gasket also has the raised embossing so it seals .

I've talked to Cometic about getting a standard bore gasket cut out to 3.700" but they won't do it.

Soooo, the machine shop is pulling the sleeves, re-decking the block and going to reinstall the sleeve with .001" left above the block deck so that should allow the gasket to seal.

If that doesn't work I'll use a dremel and auger out a stock bore gasket myself. And if that still don't werk, we'll plug the passages and drill holes to match the gasket.

These Coyote sleeves will not move, they have a large lip that keeps them locked in place.

Cost was 950 for the sleeves, 750 to install.

Sleeves going in ..

Sorry for the thread jack .,.

Interesting, who is doing this machine work for you?

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting, who is doing this machine work for you?

TKM Performance in Denton NC .

Kevin has sleeved a bunch of Coyote motors .. but mine was his 1st 4.6 and I did not realize the difference between the Cometic big bore gasket and the standard bore .

But now that we've seen it,, re-decking my sleeves should fix it.

http://tkmperformance.com/services/

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Have you called Tim at MPR? He is in Boynton Beach Florida and will gladly get you situated. Don't have to ship your engine all over the country. He builds just as much reliable Horsepower on Mod Motors than anyone.

561-588-0188

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
TKM Performance in Denton NC

If you go to the TKM website, there's a picture of Resurrection on there. This is a mudder that my company (as in... I work there... not MINE), Piedmont Hoist and Crane, sponsors. TKM does some extremely wicked motors, and they understand mild to wild. Hemis and mod motors. You don't have to ship your motor all over the country, but there's a reason some people do.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Have you called Tim at MPR? He is in Boynton Beach Florida and will gladly get you situated. Don't have to ship your engine all over the country. He builds just as much reliable Horsepower on Mod Motors than anyone.

561-588-0188

No I have not but there's a good possibility I might, not that I ship my engine across the country (since I don't, the machine shop I've been using is 15 mins from my house) but rather to ask him about running a boss block, and if he would be willing to do the machine work for the mains. I've not be able to speak with L&M, but I do acknowledge there's a blizzard there today so I'll cut him some slack!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back