swflastang05's build thread

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
No I have not but there's a good possibility I might, not that I ship my engine across the country (since I don't, the machine shop I've been using is 15 mins from my house) but rather to ask him about running a boss block, and if he would be willing to do the machine work for the mains. I've not be able to speak with L&M, but I do acknowledge there's a blizzard there today so I'll cut him some slack!

The guy is awesome. Does and builds record setting engines in many different race venues. And he is not too far. Not snowing here in South Florida

travelers

Reaction score
The guy is awesome. Does and builds record setting engines in many different race venues. And he is not too far. Not snowing here in South Florida

The so called Blizzard was a bust. I only got about 8". about 6"snow and " frozen rain. I was at work at 8:00 with no problem (4wheel drive hahah) I'm only about half hour from L&M. I've talked to them a while back.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score

Cool thanks, I may call him for my machine work. He's about 2.5 hours from me.

The so called Blizzard was a bust. I only got about 8". about 6"snow and " frozen rain. I was at work at 8:00 with no problem (4wheel drive hahah) I'm only about half hour from L&M. I've talked to them a while back.

I finally got a hold of L&M today, he said there was 6" of frozen ice covering the ground there.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I finally was able to speak with Michael today, we had a very lengthy, technical discussion, he actually just about over loaded my brain with information! He's never seen a block fail like this one! My luck..So as far as what failed, he didn't have any real concrete initial reason, he's very confident it was due to extreme combustion pressure and temperature, it's just not certain what caused that condition. He feels the head gasket failed first, then the block. He did say there is no way the hard decel had anything to do with this, during decel there is no ignition at all and no pressure, it's a big vacuum at that time. He said the failure probably occurred around the 660 or 1000' mark and I just didn't notice until the finish line @ 1320'. He feels the cooling system may have failed somehow resulting in the head overheating and causing the gasket to fail. He said this is not likely to be tune related (as I knew since Manuel handles that for me :).) There's several things I need to look at and get back with him including measuring the head studs, he said it is possible they could have stretched, especially since I've used them several times before. Also they should thread all the way into the block easily by hand, and mine are a real PITA to bottom out, I actually get nervous my allen head socket might break they're in the block so tight, this shouldn't be.

In any case I decided to use an aluminum block again, this is my last one though so it's gotta last! New pistons are ordered, other stuff will be soon so I can get this thing back together. ID received my injectors today, I should hear back from them shortly to see if there are any issues with my injectors. At this point, I hope there is, so I have something solid to blame this on. It could be too high IAT, loss of coolant, or a million other things. I also learned my -8an fuel line is too small, -10an will be installed this time.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
Those head studs are spotted at the scene of the crime again huh... I assume your getting a new set of ARP studs or are you going a different route?

Last edited:

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
It could be too high IAT

Not sure if you recorded the ait's at anytime but I have a d1 and my temps were over 190* (on a 60* day) at the end of my runs last October. I'm now going water to air this year to control the temps.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If your head studs were that tight and that difficult to thread into the block then that may very well be the area of failure. I agree with the suggestion above to replace them.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
...studs should basically go in by hand, there is no tension on them during installation. :( :(

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I always chase the threads on my studs first. Everytime I assemble.The studs never go in all the way, or are hard to turn, unless I do.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I ended up measuring the OD of the studs today and found they are .001 narrower at the top of the threads than at the bottom, indicating they are stretched. So I ordered a brand new set this afternoon, not taking any chances on that. Now the next pressing question WTF did they stretch! No doubt from the extreme combustion pressure and temp. but again why did that happen. Still waiting to hear back from ID.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Not sure if you recorded the ait's at anytime but I have a d1 and my temps were over 190* (on a 60* day) at the end of my runs last October. I'm now going water to air this year to control the temps.

What type of air to water system are you going to run? I've seen a couple kits out there.

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
I went with the JPC kit (intercooler and ice box). Installing next week (waiting on fittings and hoses) and then have a track rental on 3/31 to test it out. JPC told me to expect ait's around 90*-100*

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I went with the JPC kit (intercooler and ice box). Installing next week (waiting on fittings and hoses) and then have a track rental on 3/31 to test it out. JPC told me to expect ait's around 90*-100*

I would be very interested to see this after you install it, and the resulting IAT's. Where are you placing the ice box?

Every day is a new answer...........Any more $$$$$$$$$. Have to love our hobies!

Yep for sure, it's a good thing I enjoy building my car as much as driving it, otherwise I would have thrown in the towel long ago. Thinking of what I can improve over the previous build, and seeing the results of my work when it's finished. This is also how I decompress from a long day or long week at work, somehow it works for me.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
More good news, when disassembling my heads the other day I noticed some issues I previously had not noticed including a couple cracks in the #7 chamber, melted grove in the #8 plug hole, and deep gouges in the deck @ #8 where the gasket pushed into the water jacket. This could probably be welded then decked, machined and new seats installed, but I have a spare set of heads (thanks Dylan!), I'm leaning toward porting up my spare left side head and using it instead. Heck I think I'm going to open up both of them some more while I'm at it, probably a lot more, nothing wrong with better airflow..

There is a possibility this failure could be related to pump e85. I do the water test every time before I pour into the tank and it's always 82%. But there are other variables that cannot be checked with a water test. From now on I will be running only VP c85 while I'm leaning hard on the motor at the track. Probably stay with pump e85 for cruising on the street but definitely c85 for the track.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I may be interested in that one left over stock right side head thats not worth anything now with out its mate... LOL

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
More good news, when disassembling my heads the other day I noticed some issues I previously had not noticed including a couple cracks in the #7 chamber, melted grove in the #8 plug hole, and deep gouges in the deck @ #8 where the gasket pushed into the water jacket. This could probably be welded then decked, machined and new seats installed, but I have a spare set of heads (thanks Dylan!), I'm leaning toward porting up my spare left side head and using it instead. Heck I think I'm going to open up both of them some more while I'm at it, probably a lot more, nothing wrong with better airflow..

There is a possibility this failure could be related to pump e85. I do the water test every time before I pour into the tank and it's always 82%. But there are other variables that cannot be checked with a water test. From now on I will be running only VP c85 while I'm leaning hard on the motor at the track. Probably stay with pump e85 for cruising on the street but definitely c85 for the track.

Sure looks like detonation or lean. Things got hot, look at the shinny pits. What is your fuel system again?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back