Switched from E85 to 91 for road trip

lito

forum member
Reaction score

As the fuel...

From what I'm told the sensors are typically within 1-2%. Friends that measured it both ways are typically spot on. I may have a splash of normal gas in still so that could drop it 2-3% but right now sitting at 72-73%, and everyone else I know running e85 says all the stations here in the winter are ~70-75% then it goes back up to 82-84% during the summer.

Spec'd error is 5%.

And I forgot, do you know these sensor actually measure gasoline and not ethanol?

Last edited:

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Nope, I have no idea how they actually work but is not specific gravity, never searched but seen some tests online a while ago and they seem inaccurate and weird, saw a guy playing with different known fuels, combinations, etc. It reads plain tap water as E100, lol.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Nope, I have no idea how they actually work but is not specific gravity, never searched but seen some tests online a while ago and they seem inaccurate and weird, saw a guy playing with different known fuels, combinations, etc. It reads plain tap water as E100, lol.

Well I wouldn't expect it to read water...

Local place sells e98, $6.19 a gallon. Going to pick some up to blend the stations blend up to 85.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't expect it to read water...

Local place sells e98, $6.19 a gallon. Going to pick some up to blend the stations blend up to 85.

FWIW a blend of E50 is supposed to be detonation proof. I haven't been able to test the theory. It was the conclusion of a white paper type article I read when doing research on ethanol.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Good to know, but still going to bring it up to e85ish this weekend for 1/2 mile race. Rather have it be on the high end than low end.

For Phoenix people, Torco sells e98 in AJ, and UMS in Mesa has e98. Both ~$6 a gallon. Torco also has t85 which is 85% blended with unleaded 100 octane race gas.

Back