The 2015 Mustang, Forged Internals.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Darren, I don't think there are any substantial engine changes this year, Ford usually focuses on either engine improvements or body improvements and rarely attacks both in the same model year. That said, Justin at VMP has told me that he is getting 625-650 reliably out of these engines with his 2.3 TVS setup.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Darren, I don't think there are any substantial engine changes this year, Ford usually focuses on either engine improvements or body improvements and rarely attacks both in the same model year. That said, Justin at VMP has told me that he is getting 625-650 reliably out of these engines with his 2.3 TVS setup.

Thanks Brian. Just trying to keep up with this topic since I'll be keeping and driving this car for awhile.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Doesn't Lethal have a '15 GT with over 800 rwhp?

I've seen a bunch of the new '15s with over 650 rwhp.
That might be the place to stop for a reliable long-lasting combo though ...

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Gabe, I was talking about the stock engine without upgrading any internal parts, just slapping on a blower. Amazing considering how much I had to do in order to get that much power out of my 4.6 3V.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Gabe, I was talking about the stock engine without upgrading any internal parts, just slapping on a blower. Amazing considering how much I had to do in order to get that much power out of my 4.6 3V.

But I'm trying to get a grasp on the "forged" internals and what kind of power these motors can take. I was under the impression they were revised "Roadrunner" engines???????

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Block has a new part number and the drawing on fordparts.com indicates it has a new and reinforced block. The drawing shows additional cylinder reinforcements similar to the design of the 4.6 block when compared to the '11-'14 5.0 block.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Since this thread is old does anybody know about how much power these '15 GT motors can handle straight from the factory other than the speculation in this thread??? I'd like some updated info.

Considering this is basically a Boss motor, I have seen anywhere from 8-850 be a safe power figure for the Boss internals. It would hold to reason that the 2015 should be able to hold about that power which is more than what we have seen with the 11-14 motors.

Off topic, but I do recall Dave Pericak Saying that they would like to eliminate the need for an aftermarket so this might be Ford's way of trying to have the motors hold the power that 98% of Mustang owners would ever want to throw at it. Although this is all a moot point since all Darren will do is a couple of bolt ons while wishing he had money for a Whipple as we have seen since the 3V days.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
They also use the Boss connecting rods and a forged piston, is this not true?

I was under the impression they were basically a forged bottom-end ...

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
They also use the Boss connecting rods and a forged piston, is this not true?

I was under the impression they were basically a forged bottom-end ...

The Pistons aren't forged but a revised hyperutectic piston. That being said, aside from the #8 issue when is the last time you saw some serious damage to a piston not caused by detonation?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2hyjuyc.jpg

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the potential this motor has without having to rebuild the block for when I do put a power adder on it. The "fragility" of the '13's bottom end continued to haunt me and prevent adding more power to it.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Darren I would say the 15 is on par with the boss engine at least as far as the bottom end. I have had a 13 boss shortblock in my car for 2 years pushing 700 to the tires. I've been good. The internals do have to go up and down to be put under stress to break though.....so I'd say your good for north of 1000 hp.

REDS197

Reaction score
The rods are just like the Boss. The pistons are similar to 11-14 only the ring land is moved down some and additional webbing has been added for strength. The pistons also have valve reliefs for 13mm lift cams. A Ford engineer at Sema said the pistons are stronger than 11-14. I don't think 700 is a crazy number.

The 15 is missing torque. My 13 TVS made 40 ft lbs more torque but 50 less HP. Do billet oil pump AND timing gear.The 15 timing gear is not as robust as the 11-14.

The 15 heads outflow Boss heads. My car pulls to 7900.

Last edited:

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
With the rods and crank on the 15 being forged I'd call the cutoff 750rwhp. Won't live forever of course but I'm going to assume it will last about as long as a 650rwhp 11-14 which can be years and years. Of course it's just speculation until they've been ran at that power for a while, way too soon to tell.

I'd still do oil pump gears if you're going to rev above 7k, and before you do any FI or hard launching at all with a drag tire I'd change the half shafts.

And yes someone has pushed close to 900rwhp for a pull on the dyno on the 15 without it breaking. Brave guy.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
The rods are just like the Boss. The pistons are similar to 11-14 only the ring land is moved down some and additional webbing has been added for strength. The pistons also have valve reliefs for 13mm lift cams. A Ford engineer at Sema said the pistons are stronger than 11-14. I don't think 700 is a crazy number.

The 15 is missing torque. My 13 TVS made 40 ft lbs more torque but 50 less HP. Do billet oil pump AND timing gear.The 15 timing gear is not as robust as the 11-14.

The 15 heads outflow Boss heads. My car pulls to 7900.

Like Red said, If you are doing oil pump gears then you should down the crankshaft sprocket as well. You have to take it off anyway so for $250 you might as well replace it to make sure it doesn't crack. Just cheap insurance IMO.

I got mine from MPR Racing in Florida this way you have another option outside of MMR for the sprocket.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I was thinking about the oil pump gears. Why wouldn't FORD spend a little extra to upgrade the oil pump gears from the factory?? Obvious answer is cutting cost, but just like Harley Davidson did in 2003 by moving away from the Timken crank bearings and using Chinese crap, the cranks in the Harleys have been crap ever since.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Curtis, is your's an AUTO? Just wondering if these '15's are running crazy lean from the factory? Seems like a lot of surging when just cruising and the freakin engine bay seems to get 10000000x's hotter than my '13. Like the EPA demands have forced a much leaner AFR out of the manufacturers. Just observing, I'm sure it's all the same.

REDS197

Reaction score
Mine is a stick. I would say the temps are similar.

Get the Lund and Nguage. All the hesitation and flat spots are gone.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back