the cause of #8

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
One thing I didn't mention in my last post was about volume. As is stated, Ford or any other manufacturer is pretty adept at syphoring the proper numbers for fuel rail size for pressure and volume needs. I think this whole line of questioning in regard to fuel rail size or capacity is an interesting concept but, not a factor in fuel supply to the injectors. A faulty injector...well, that's altogether a different story.

Last edited:

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
If it was a fuel rail issue many a procharged or vortech powered 5.0 would have exploded by now.

The stock rails feed in the center of the front crossover right over the TB, so if there was a fuel volume/pressure issue both rear cylinders (4 and 8) should have equal issues unless there is some kind of internal restriction in the rail on the LH side.

The Roush/FRPP blower feeds the rails at the LH front (#5 injector) and the crossover is in the rear, so if there was fuel supply issues the RH front cylinder (#1) would be taking the hit with the TVS/Whipple since its all the way on the other end of the feed.

Unless there is a flaw in the rail itself that is killing the flow to the #8 injector thats not the issue, especially on near stock cars with a tune.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
DIDJA know that Ford introduced a new fuel saving strategy for these cars
HTH

Mike

ya sure its called lets put a POS transmission in the car so the customer has to drive it like a focus and then it will sit in the shop most of its life.. lol

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ya sure its called lets put a POS transmission in the car so the customer has to drive it like a focus and then it will sit in the shop most of its life.. lol

LMAO.

Actually Ford calls it: Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off (ADFSO)

19cobra99

Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be an asshole but I find it amusing how many experts their are on this topic. Granted there are a lot of opinions and theories, some even fit, but how many of you have had a #8 failure or actually know someone that has? Probably none, but yet so many know are quick to pass judgement on what caused the failure, a bad tune, he was running lower octane fuel, etc. etc. etc. My car did fail. I denied that I had a tune at first because Ford has trolls on these sites and like anyone else here, I took my car to the dealership. I make my living working on Mustangs so I do know a little about detonation, good gas, bad gas, too much timing etc. My car failed driving slow, approaching a red light and as soon as it turned green putting it in second and just accelerating. Then the light came on and the rest was history. By the way the car still ran good, just a little miss on light load and idle. I can add a little to a comment someone made in this thread that Ford does know. While talking to the engineer Ford sent out to see my car, he stated that the stock tune has a margin of correction in it. He mentioned that the "design" (and he did say it wasn't a flaw) of the intake manifold and the heat of #8 requires a specific correction. From what I remember he said something along the lines of 3 degrees of a timing window and that the tuners weren't taking this into account when writing tunes. After dealing with a lot of BS with Ford, and I mean a lot I decided to pull the car apart. I measured the end gap of the top ring and to my "old school standards" .006 is a little too tight for comfort. I don't know why my car broke but I know the tuner has tuned many many many other cars just like mine and yours and hasn't had any problems, but mine did. My piston failed on the outside wall of the block, look at the piston and give me your opinions.
IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...I find it amusing how many experts their are on this topic....

[RANT] Just remember this too--and this goes for several of you who gave me and others shit trying to help you. Just because some of us don't have 5.0s and have 4.6s doesn't mean we don't know jack shit about these cars, and we don't appreciate some of the attitudes we get sometimes when we fucking try to help out. Ford doesn't know everything either. They can't even help me figure out how to reprogram my goddamn moonroof on my new 2011 MKS to open fully when letting the windows down like it did on my less fancier 2007 MKZ!

That said, take everything on here I have tried to help with a grain of salt. If it helps great, if it doesn't I apologize. I can gurantee you this--no one wants to see these cars break like this and we all want to help figure out the problem. You can take that to the bank.

Tech is knowledge and ideas put together to make something happen or to understand a problem. You will not find a better technical area that where you are right now.

Some of you may or may not know me, but I am one fuckin helluva problem solver, if I do say so myself. I do it for a living. I help make over 100 million 45 nanometer transistors work on a piece of silicon smaller than your thumbnail. The very first thing I do in problem solving is NEVER assume it can't be X. You are just asking to be bit in the ass if you do! Look into all ideas and see which ones fit the scenario best; there may be a combination of causes instead of a single silver bullet root cause. BTW, system problems don't have single root causes. Now I have said my piece, so...[/RANT]

I'd be looking into this "green technology" that Ford has put into play with the Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off (ADFSO), because from what I have read on this issue, it sounds like a lot of them are blowing when you lift off the gas.

There is a section of code in the PCM that controlls this ADFSO and I wonder if the tuners are not aware of this. That is why I made the comment: Ever see a circle track race car toast a piston when it runs out of fuel? The fucking piston(s) melt and break because they have no gasoline to cool them!

I remember an old Ford car I had back in the 80s that had a "throttle body injection" system on it. When you would rev it up you could see the fuel spray obviously. However when you let off the gas and let the engine decel, it didn't completely turn off the gas. It would spit ever so slightly in pulses to prevent total fuel starvation.

HTH

Mike

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be an asshole but I find it amusing how many experts their are on this topic. Granted there are a lot of opinions and theories, some even fit, but how many of you have had a #8 failure or actually know someone that has? Probably none, but yet so many know are quick to pass judgement on what caused the failure, a bad tune, he was running lower octane fuel, etc. etc. etc. My car did fail. I denied that I had a tune at first because Ford has trolls on these sites and like anyone else here, I took my car to the dealership. I make my living working on Mustangs so I do know a little about detonation, good gas, bad gas, too much timing etc. My car failed driving slow, approaching a red light and as soon as it turned green putting it in second and just accelerating. Then the light came on and the rest was history. By the way the car still ran good, just a little miss on light load and idle. I can add a little to a comment someone made in this thread that Ford does know. While talking to the engineer Ford sent out to see my car, he stated that the stock tune has a margin of correction in it. He mentioned that the "design" (and he did say it wasn't a flaw) of the intake manifold and the heat of #8 requires a specific correction. From what I remember he said something along the lines of 3 degrees of a timing window and that the tuners weren't taking this into account when writing tunes. After dealing with a lot of BS with Ford, and I mean a lot I decided to pull the car apart. I measured the end gap of the top ring and to my "old school standards" .006 is a little too tight for comfort. I don't know why my car broke but I know the tuner has tuned many many many other cars just like mine and yours and hasn't had any problems, but mine did. My piston failed on the outside wall of the block, look at the piston and give me your opinions.
IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

Aren't you a liar ?

19cobra99

Reaction score
Aren't you a liar ?
why cuz I tried to get my car fixed under warranty??? OK there buddy:asskiss3:. I'll bet whatever that you'd take you car to warranty if it failed while just driving. If you're at a track and beating the piss out of the car and something breaks, oh well shit happens. But to just be on your regular commute and to have an issue, yeah you'd be at the dealership.

DCS

Reaction score
why cuz I tried to get my car fixed under warranty???
Didn't you start off the story about your #8 by telling everyone on every Mustang site you could find that you didn't tune?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Last edited:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

Finally someone who has actually had this failure and has stated the truth as to what is actually happening with the dreaded #8 failure. I've been saying this for weeks now and nobody wanted to listen to the facts. The engineer I spoke to told me the exact same thing about the factory calibration and the built in correction factor.

DCS

Reaction score
Finally someone who has actually had this failure and has stated the truth as to what is actually happening with the dreaded #8 failure.
Which time? The guy has had at least 2 different stories on what happened. Swore that the first story about not ever having a tune was the truth for quite a while on several different sites, if I remember correctly.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
ADFSO is a lot like what GM has been using with DFCO? If so, I remember data logging a lot of GM's and they'd lean spike like crazy during DFCO.

19cobra99

Reaction score
Which time? The guy has had at least 2 different stories on what happened. Swore that the first story about not ever having a tune was the truth for quite a while on several different sites, if I remember correctly.

I guess you couldn't read it in my earlier post but, here it goes again, I only said "no" tune because: There are trolls from FORD looking at all the shit we write, and my car was still at the dealership. Wow some people are idiots:idea:. After all was said and done, I did "come clean" on another forum and explained the same thing I'm saying here. Just a little proof that Ford has eyes everywhere. Here is a picture of a page stapled to my work order, it is off a forum post from Sniper Tuning, where I was asking for help with my new Dell laptop. I couldn't get the driver for the interface to install and I asked for help and this conversation was "copied and pasted" and put in with my paper work. The engineer told me that they had "admittance" of a tune.

pic1.jpg

19cobra99

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the pistons as they came out. My car: mt6 and 3.31's, mods to my car, Mag 3in exhaust with stock h and cats, Steeda intake and a mild tune. I say mild (402rwhp) only because the turner has gotten more hp on other cars than mine, and those cars are fine.
323dbb25.jpg

8d2a85aa.jpg

6a6fc2e0.jpg

f3dc754d.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back