The OFFICIAL Dread53 Wiring Thread (Way, Way Long)

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I’ve been getting some requests for information regarding how I did my wiring and whether there was a thread about it. Well, here’s the thread. It’s a long one, so proceed at your own risk!

First and foremost – Prepare! Second – take your time. If you’re in a hurry you will mess this up in a big way. Don’t even think about something like this without the wiring manual for your specific vehicle.

This is how I started, by going through the wiring manual and tracking every wire in the harness from end to end. I identified where splices were for common wires and planned which ones would need to be cut and rerouted. You need to know the pin location of every wire in every connector unless you just want to splice it downstream. I’m too anal to even think about that, but you can do it any way you think will live. The process I use for pinning the wire is illustrated below: You open to lower crimp on the connector and bend the wire back and forth until it creates a stress fracture at the crimp and breaks off clean. This is much cleaner than trying to cut it with snips. Insert the wire and crimp it at the lower crimp. THIS IS NOT A STRONG CRIMP, but it will hold the wire and give you a solid base for the soldered joint.

Spreadsheet.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

The next step is to label every connector and unwrap the harness. This is where you identify the wires that are separated into the transmission harness and run separately around the engine. These wires were long enough, after removing the common and IMRC wires, that I could rewrap and run them along the frame to the back of the engine.

DSC00194.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

I started to rewire at the coils and injectors. Every coil and injector has a separate signal wire and each bank of each system runs a common power wire. The photo shows how I spaced the wiring at the same intervals as the coils / injectors and bundled them towards the front of the engine. For those of you with a shift light, this is the place to add that sensing wire. I did mine after the fact and ran off #4 coil, into the transmission portion of the harness.

DSC00198.jpg

At this point I’ve reinstalled the blower with injectors and air tube to locate the fuel sensor, ETC and MAF. Those harnesses have been tied into everything else going across the front of the engine and tape wrapping is in place. I tape wrap everything the full length of the harness and then install convoluted tubing.

DSC00203.jpg

I’ve removed the air tube and finished this side of the harness. What you see is the complete harness for that side of the engine. I’ve also rerouted the harness that goes over the brake booster to under it. It is long enough to do that without cutting.

DSC00204.jpg

This mess where the tape ends is the driver side harness before it meets up with the passenger side. It includes everything around the throttle body and the alternator, with the exception of the main power lead. That I ran separately. The rest of the stuff draped over the valve cover is what’s coming out of the fuse box.

DSC00205.jpg

This is getting pretty close to complete, as the entire engine harness is now tied together and run to the frame rail. I’ve already split off everything going to the fuse box and have a lot of the harness back in the CPM plug at the bottom of the photo. The rest of these all go to the CPM.

DSC00206.jpg

These are the completed shots from both sides of the engine. Of note is the routing around the front of the cylinder head.

DSC00209.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

This is a pretty quick brush around a job that took me nine 12-16 hour days to complete, including the tubing and battery relocation. This was also specific to my Saleen blower, so other applications will vary, but it should give anyone considering this kind of project some insight into what will be involved.

As a final note, this is the wiring that was left over after I completed the project.

DSC00218.jpg

Boozshey

Reaction score
FINALLY!!! After so long!!!

I will be doing mine in Jan-Feb I will post it up also...

Jason

forum member
Reaction score
I'm done!!! Wow that sucked. But worth it. Now I just have to put everything back togeather. Thanks for all the help Dread. I'll post pics in a couple days. Just waiting for pulleys to show up, I figured I'd do this since my car is down waiting for parts anyway. I didn't go nearly into the depth that Dread did but I'm satisfied with what I did. Would have done more if I pulled the s/c off.

Next is the tube bending for the vac lines. Not gunna bother with the fuel lines.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
why did you do the rewire? did you have a gremlin or was it to clean up the whole engine bay? im guessing the cleanup because it looks great

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Easily the cleanest S197 engine bay in the world!

Boozshey

Reaction score
Easily the cleanest S197 engine bay in the world!

Not to take any props away from him, cause he beat me to the punch by a long shot, but give me a month... I will give him some competition.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Holy Mother of GOD!!!! you have to be and electrical Engineer.........If I saw that I would RUN!!!!!!!! LOL

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ok who wants to do this for me? lol if i undertake this task the car will never move again until i bought myself a replacement harness lol

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mechanical Engineer (ex Ford Tech) and just plain anal about details. Thanks for the props everyone.

Jason, quit messing around and get the pics up!

Booze, competion is the force that's drives us all, so make me jealous.

Bird, I've got a spare harness in my garage and will have the engine out in a bit to do a stroker........

C-Liz-Go

Resident Realtor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I can't sleep at night, this is the stuff that relaxes me.....zzzzzzz. LOL!

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice job, I don't have the patience to do something like that. Besides that, I hate wiring! Where did you move it to?

Jason

forum member
Reaction score
Here's a little teaser Dread. It's where I was at about 3 hours ago. Hopefully I'll be done by tomorrow.That bundle on the far left, I have enough wire to where I can put it against the firewall.
DSCF1049-1.jpg

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kudos to all you crazy bastards. I'm never one to shy away from projects, turn my own wrenches, blah blah, but you couldn't pay me to do this one!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back