Thought i'd share my first blown clutch story

dimitrik8890

CHECK CHECK
Reaction score
So I had two tires to put on my car, temptation overcame me as i decided to burn the remaining 2 off. Going with the energy that was flowing through me. Did one sweet a$$ roast, everything was cool. The second one left me with a smoked clutch. Had it towed, ripped the tranny out and it was like a cat exploded in my tranny. saddest story of my life :( I feel kinda like a dumbass, but at the same time dont think that shoulda happened. Just sharing my story

johnny06gt

forum member
Reaction score
I tried to do a standstill burnout in 2nd gear on the street---the motor said go--but the clutch said no--but it just burnt it a little---and that energy flowing through me was beer!!

dimitrik8890

CHECK CHECK
Reaction score
yeah mine is smoked. im waiting to put my new one in monday when it comes in. dont hate but does neone have ne reviews for centerforce dual friction?

johnny06gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have a centerforce in the 94--never slipped once---and im right with u on the ?s for the centerforce for an s197 bcause the price is right--i might get one also

recordbreaker5

Blown 3V
Reaction score
i have this tingling feeling in my body saying that this thread is going to be moved because this shit isn't tech.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
Ya lol isn't tech i think this would be Mustang Chat but I have a centerforce in my car and ive been running over 450rwhp for like 2 yrs with this same clutch and it hasnt given me any problems with slipping. there was a ticking sound coming right from the clutch area that i never figured out because it went away so i said fuck it and still went to the track and ran an 11.90 @ 120. The first thing that went out was one of my rods like a month after haha. I like centerforce so far...

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I had the centerforce dual friction in my car before I installed the blower and hated every minute of it. Very stiff pedal and it chattered alot.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
So I had two tires to put on my car, temptation overcame me as i decided to burn the remaining 2 off. Going with the energy that was flowing through me. Did one sweet a$$ roast, everything was cool. The second one left me with a smoked clutch. Had it towed, ripped the tranny out and it was like a cat exploded in my tranny. saddest story of my life :( I feel kinda like a dumbass, but at the same time dont think that shoulda happened. Just sharing my story

that is exactly why i don't like doing a brake stand in my stick car, i'll do it any day in an auto lol

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Jeez I didnt know stangs could roast their clutch so quickly. Funny you bring up centerforce clutchs. I've always been surprised they arnt mentioned very often here. I have one in my vipertruck and its amazing. Its a 5k lbs truck and it holds like a sumbitch.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Moved to chat. Please read Hawgman's Rules

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
One Centerforce dual friction. One blown slave one month later. Went to Mcleod RST and no problems.

dimitrik8890

CHECK CHECK
Reaction score
dayyyyyuuuuuuummmmm. well ok some good some bad. it was my only choice as i was stressed for time. never doing a brakestand again. hope my clutch install goes ok

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
dayyyyyuuuuuuummmmm. well ok some good some bad. it was my only choice as i was stressed for time. never doing a brakestand again. hope my clutch install goes ok

The clutch itself was fine, drove great with a little heavier pedal. IMO the heavier pp springs resulted in early slave fail.

Anthony is the guy who knows what combination of slave and centerforce clutch go together. IIRC he tried the ram and mcleod slaves with different combinations of shims in both his and his son's car.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
One Centerforce dual friction. One blown slave one month later. Went to Mcleod RST and no problems.
I am assuming you didn't change the slave cylinder when you put the centerforce in. I had a slave cylinder fail because i didn't change it when i put the centerforce in but got it replaced under warranty and it has worked fine ever since.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
But next time i have to get a new clutch it will be the Mcleod like you're talking about I would like to try it out since all i have ever heard is good things about it!

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
Jeez I didnt know stangs could roast their clutch so quickly. Funny you bring up centerforce clutchs. I've always been surprised they arnt mentioned very often here. I have one in my vipertruck and its amazing. Its a 5k lbs truck and it holds like a sumbitch.

i have a friend with a maro and he had a centerforce clutch fall apart, i've seen plenty like it as well on other cars. from what i've persoanlly seen those clutches are absolute garbage. i just put a mcleod clutch in my today and i stalled my car cause the clutch was so light i can't even feel it catch through the pedal.

my mcleod came with a new slave cylinder as well it was about 700 bucks but well worth it.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I am assuming you didn't change the slave cylinder when you put the centerforce in. I had a slave cylinder fail because i didn't change it when i put the centerforce in but got it replaced under warranty and it has worked fine ever since.

I wish I would of thought of that. Warranty.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
I wish I would of thought of that. Warranty.
LOL yea warranty can save you some bucks. Even though my deductible was like 100 bucks it obviously was much more expensive overall. They even put my centerforce back in haha

Back