Coyote Catastrophic Failure

slagburn

forum member
Reaction score
The short block was 3600 shipped from an awesome forum member who works at a dealer and helped me a lot.

If you knew how much timing and the air fuel ratios of that tune you wouldn't say "stuff happens". This thread isn't about bashing that tuner, facts are facts. And people will make up their own minds anyway.

Thanks for reading I hope you learned some things, I know I did.

So what were the AFR's and timing with the hurt motor?

dragpac

forum member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your back together and running,good luck.now I get to start my rebuild I'm also going a Boss short block.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
Got a new slave cylinder yesterday and installed it along with the JPC clutch line kit.

Also borrowed a load leveler from a buddy, and had a friend help me drop it in this time.

ec9e41d5.jpg

20326253.jpg

Still had a little bit of trouble getting it to line up, but that was mostly because the motor mounts hit the studs and its hard to keep the trans in place. I put the cross member bolts back in the trans and did a little shoving and it went in about 150 times easier than the first time.

c635caf2.jpg

Got all the trans bolts tight, trans cross member, motor mounts (not easy with new headers) and all I need is a little clip and the clutch line will be all installed too.

Any other tips on this part? I have a leveler, new slave cyl, and I spent 3 hours unsuccessfully trying to mate these two parts.

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
Any other tips on this part? I have a leveler, new slave cyl, and I spent 3 hours unsuccessfully trying to mate these two parts.

Putting the trans crossmember bolts back in helped me the most because when I pushed on the motor it actually went back onto the trans instead of just moving the trans back. It's just a bitch. Did you turn the clutch discs with the alignment tool to line up the leading edge of the splines? Also you can put a socket on the crank bolt and turn the motor over (easier yet with no plugs in the motor) to help line up the clutch and trans.

Fishstyx

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this, Jon Lund tuned it.

Thinkin about buyin a '13 Boss, anybody wanna buy my car?

It made 653/539 on a very conservative tune in 91 degree weather. It runs great.

Jon is the man.

He's Dyno tuned my car twice. First was after installing the P1SC, Boss intake and long tubes and then again after an Alky Control 100% meth injection. I'm seeing 660 RWHP on 10lbs and 93octane and I've got 7000 miles on the car. Half of that is tracking on road courses (WOT for 30 minutes a session). The engine has never missed a beat but it is getting lose ( getting a lot of oil in the catch can when on the track). This is with stock '11 GT Coyote internals. Jon Lund is the Yoda of Coyote tuning IMO.

Anyway, congrats. This is a great thread and the car looks great. I just completed a similar engine pull/rebuild/install with a 347 pushrods crate motor in an 87 fox body race car and that kicked my ass. I can imagine that working with these new complex computer controlled motors is a dark art.

svt04cobra

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

svt04cobra

Reaction score
Have you seen any quantifiable results?

I personally don't have any results but do your own research. Since I was building my motor and it was out, it was a no brainier for me. Also I'm building my car for Big power. I have the best of the best so I didn't want to take any more chances after going through 2 coyote blocks in less then a year. :thumb2:

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
I personally don't have any results but do your own research. Since I was building my motor and it was out, it was a no brainier for me. Also I'm building my car for Big power. I have the best of the best so I didn't want to take any more chances after going through 2 coyote blocks in less then a year. :thumb2:

I just asked a question wanting to know if you can PROVE they work, I personally don't care as I do not plan on buying one, just trying to stay in the know and see how well these products work.

I guess you're right though, if it worked for the terminator it has to work for the coyote also right?

I guess soft hypothesis is just as good as hard data and quantifiable facts:thumb2:

philkilla

Crusher of skulls
Reaction score
Just spent the better part of an hour reading this thread.

Great write-up; glad you had success with your build.

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
I did too. I learned a few things and was reminded of something i already knew. The thing I was reminded of was the degree to which 2c5s can get out of line. OP has his baby blow up and whether it was his fault or not and I don't think it was; for 2c5s to aggressively jump the guy was completely uncalled for. He pulled that trolling nonsense on me on another forum and I wanted to fight him. I completely respect the OP for not going for the bait and keeping his cool. I would have lost it and the flame war would have begun. I am happy for the OP that everything is put back together and hope things go well for him. We play with these engines and sometimes bad things happen. I don't make any judgments until I here both sides of the story but I always empathize with a guy with a blown engine regardless of fault.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes. These heads have a similar issue as the 03/04 cobra heads do. Cooling to #8 is not the best. This mod helps. :thumb2:

Can you prove that though...
\/ that's a NO

yet u have MMR parts..... :crazy:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back