Coyote Catastrophic Failure

claudermilk

Reaction score
Been reading the last part of this thread. Congrats. It is a very satisfying feeling to hear it fire up the first time. I've only dealt with the much simpler older Windsor engine, I can't imagine how much tougher the Coyote is to deal with.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
I actually read that the more aggresive friction material of the RXT helps it bite better and reduces the chatter/shudder during break in. I think after some miles and some getting used to it will go away/minimize.

Pedal effort feels like a civic lol

same here. The loaner boxster I'm in feels so heavy.

Im going to go from sub 200 hp and a heavy clutch to over 400 at the wheels and a superlight clutch. It will be days before I get the car under control, lol.

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
I only made it about halfway through the thread before skipping to the end, so sorry if it has already been said or done. Make sure you have the crank relearn procedure done.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I only made it about halfway through the thread before skipping to the end, so sorry if it has already been said or done. Make sure you have the crank relearn procedure done.

I said this to him on the phone a few weeks back, hope he did it.

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score

I said this to him on the phone a few weeks back, hope he did it.

Have a resource for this? I never did anything with it and the ford service manual said nothing about it. Car turns over fine and starts right up.

How do you do it?

Congrats Wild Bill!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

Thanks!

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
You can try going down the road and holding the rpms above 4000 for about 5 seconds. If it's like mine and needs a crank relearn you'll get a misfire code. Mine went into failsafe for about 30 seconds then came out of it. Holding the rpms above 4000 for a few seconds was the only way I could get the code to come up. I knew something was wrong though cause my A/F was staying stoich under WOT which made the car feel slugish. Other then that issue car drove great with no codes.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
damn, I think I just did the same thing with my slave cylinder, we had to move the car, and by instinct alone I touched the clutch. Retarded.

How much did yours run? I see Tousley has them at $135.

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
damn, I think I just did the same thing with my slave cylinder, we had to move the car, and by instinct alone I touched the clutch. Retarded.

How much did yours run? I see Tousley has them at $135.

Damn that sucks. I ordered it from the local dealer for 190 because I wanted to put my motor back in. Unlikely you'll beat that price from Tousley.

I don't think I need the crank relearn. I've never gotten limp mode and my car starts and runs fine.

The cam codes I was getting were P0015 and P0011 (I think lol) for exhaust cam being retarded too far and intake cam being advanced too far. While some people told me I probably had the cams in wrong I wasn't buying it because I triple checked everything and the car would clean up so fast after running for a few seconds. I found one other guy who had torqued his cam caps out of sequence on a 3v and got the same codes. After a retorque they were gone.

I did the same thing, borrowed a fancy digital snap on torque wrench and took my valve cover off and re did them (I had previously retorqued each bolt to 53 in-lb before turning the 45 degrees instead of just leaving them alone after the first sequence) and the codes are now gone. A few different shops found this hard to believe, but it appears to have worked. So for anybody who takes your cams out be careful when torquing the caps, I may have distorted them or just clamped the cam journal too tightly and when the VCT tried to return the cam it stuck a little.

Got my AC charged yesterday and hope to make a dyno appointment soon, this mornings code/stumble free log was sent to the tuner this morning.

Feels good to drive it again...

b66f8a85.jpg

2b62ea91.jpg

slagburn

forum member
Reaction score
Good to know on the cam caps, I bet you're stoked to be driving again!

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Re-torquing the cam caps is a common attempt by Ford when trying to fix an engine tick on these new 5.0s. They did it on mine, as well as a few others.

So, it doesn't surprise me that the torque must be perfect in order to avoid issues.

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
Re-torquing the cam caps is a common attempt by Ford when trying to fix an engine tick on these new 5.0s. They did it on mine, as well as a few others.

So, it doesn't surprise me that the torque must be perfect in order to avoid issues.

Wow! I didn't know that was something they did to fix the tick, thats good to know.

Logs are going good. Car has about 200 miles on it since the new motor, clutch is getting better every day but still has a little chatter, and the muffs still smoke like a fucking train if a drive awhile and stop to let it idle, or even get stopped at a red light.

I don't think I can handle it anymore, I even took them off and tried to rinse them out with brake parts cleaner and kerosene and it didn't do shit.

I don't want crazy loud, but I'd like to free up a little flow because of the blower. Probably gonna go with roush axlebacks, how do they compare to the gt500's? I don't want drone.

Bout to go search...

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know that was something they did to fix the tick, thats good to know.

Logs are going good. Car has about 200 miles on it since the new motor, clutch is getting better every day but still has a little chatter, and the muffs still smoke like a fucking train if a drive awhile and stop to let it idle, or even get stopped at a red light.

I don't think I can handle it anymore, I even took them off and tried to rinse them out with brake parts cleaner and kerosene and it didn't do shit.

I don't want crazy loud, but I'd like to free up a little flow because of the blower. Probably gonna go with roush axlebacks, how do they compare to the gt500's? I don't want drone.

Bout to go search...

I ran the Roush axle backs with the long tubes and x pipe for a while. It was incredibly loud!! If you like extremely loud cars, you will like them.

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
I ran the Roush axle backs with the long tubes and x pipe for a while. It was incredibly loud!! If you like extremely loud cars, you will like them.

:/ not really

I'd be ok with crazy loud if it sounded crazy good too. I think this car is loud as fuck but sounds good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXPoAVKhVHs&feature=relmfu

Any other non chambered muffs that aren't stupid loud? Probably not....

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score

Bout to go search...

Not sure if this is part of the issue or not but I do know that kerosene is oil based and you may have that burning off also

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is part of the issue or not but I do know that kerosene is oil based and you may have that burning off also

It's both. It was actually gunk engine flush, which im pretty sure is just kerosene.

The mufflers dont get hot enough to burn the oil while driving, for some reason when i let the car idle they start to smoke. Bad. Even at a red light, already got pulled over for it once lol.

I don't really have time to let them soak in something, which would probably clean them out. I doubt anybody would want to buy them...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back