thp turbo kit over the years

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
ive been running the thp kit since 2009 and ive been happy with it. ive made a few changes over the course of the years, and figured id post some of my results since there isnt a whole lot of thp info out there on this site or in general.

im having trouble with photobucket uploading my initial graph. i keep getting an error on both photobucket and the s197 uploader. id be happy to email it to someone so i can get this info out there. i just dont know how to convert the file to whats neccasary.

anyway less than 5,000 miles on the car at the time. thp kit, twin gt supercar pumps, SD 60s injectors, 8 psi spring, wastegate vented to the atmosphere. that was really about it. at the time i was running the oem 3.73s (bullitt) the car put down 459/464 and the car had a really nice flat torque curve.

a few years later i made a few changes, and worked a few bugs out of the kit. i did some suspension work, CMDP, changed the 3.73s out for 3.31s, wrapped the hotside piping, and a slightly bigger air filter, and a spec 3+ clutch. the tune was touched up on the dyno for the small changes. the peek numbers didnt change much but the curve of the power certainly changed. the car also went quicker at the track which did surprise me.

lastly, the car underwent a tr6060 swap from a 2011 gt500. rst clutch, catch can was removed in favor of breather/vent tube, 20 inch wheels in place of 18s, gt500 fuel system in place of the FGT pumps, and a 10 psi spring with a billet wheel compressor. (ive been using the same turbo this whole time, but in the past it was a cast wheel turbo, the turbo im using is a Garrett T4/61MM turbo A/R.70 (EC-1 M24) exhaust .94) that resulted in the following

the billet wheel i feel made a huge difference, and its not all hype like i thought it would be. i really like this kit, and the way the car puts the power out makes it a blast to drive.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I feel the same. I noticed a huge difference when I went from master power cast 70mm to a precision 67billet....huge! Then when I went from the 67 billet journal to my comp 67 billet oil-less ball bearing I had another huge difference!

I'm liking my THP kit also, a lot of quality parts and the coating seems to be holding up great!

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Your Bullitt, especially the pic with the drag wheels on is one of my favorite cars! Sorry to hijack the thread lol.

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
I feel the same. I noticed a huge difference when I went from master power cast 70mm to a precision 67billet....huge! Then when I went from the 67 billet journal to my comp 67 billet oil-less ball bearing I had another huge difference!

I'm liking my THP kit also, a lot of quality parts and the coating seems to be holding up great!
the comp turbos intrigue me, but i had a lot on my plate this year with the car, and jim over at thp highly recommended i stick with the turbo he sent with the kit, and upgrade to the billet cartridge. maybe someday down the line ill give comp a shot, id just like to see some more longevity feedback on their turbos before committing to them.

Your Bullitt, especially the pic with the drag wheels on is one of my favorite cars! Sorry to hijack the thread lol.
ha, i think youre thinking of my buddy jeff, he had a paxton supercharged bullitt. he just sold that car. while i do have a bullitt, in the past i ran flat black 18in forged roush wheels. ive since moved onto their hyper black 20s.

Post your info in here please. The more, the better!

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115557

i believe its a 3 in down pipe, 2.5 up pipe. one eyed willy, care to confirm?

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the comp turbos intrigue me, but i had a lot on my plate this year with the car, and jim over at thp highly recommended i stick with the turbo he sent with the kit, and upgrade to the billet cartridge. maybe someday down the line ill give comp a shot, id just like to see some more longevity feedback on their turbos before committing to them.

I would recommend staying far, far, away from the Comp oil less turbos for your setup. Comp has now decided, due to the fact that the bearings will not stay in them, that the oil less turbos are only for a remote mount setup, like S&H's Stealth kit. The oil less bearing system just can't handle the heat in an engine compartment. I went through 3 sets of the oil less turbos before I finally had Comp replace them with oil fed housings.

To be fair to Comp, they would fix them under warranty but I was still out the shipping both ways. I had over $600 just in shipping charges over the years and was basically without the car for for over 2 years.

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
I would recommend staying far, far, away from the Comp oil less turbos for your setup. Comp has now decided, due to the fact that the bearings will not stay in them, that the oil less turbos are only for a remote mount setup, like S&H's Stealth kit. The oil less bearing system just can't handle the heat in an engine compartment. I went through 3 sets of the oil less turbos before I finally had Comp replace them with oil fed housings.

To be fair to Comp, they would fix them under warranty but I was still out the shipping both ways. I had over $600 just in shipping charges over the years and was basically without the car for for over 2 years.

That's what I was afraid of. New technology and learning where its best suited. Basically, I didn't want to be a guinea pig and over complicate things trying to under complicate things. In my head it makes sense. Sorry to see you have so many troubles but that feedback is highly valuable.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score

how did you know it was going bad, ive had mine for over a year with no issues.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I could hear the bearings making noise when I would shut down the engine. I would receive the turbos back from Comp put about 500 break in miles on them, with no boost and they would be fine. As soon as I would start getting into boost and making power they would start to fail in less than 500 miles.

Bobby

turbo gt about to go fast
Reaction score
just out side of charlotte north carolina
I talked to joe the owner last week and they have fixed the problem they were having when they went to the billet center section made just for water. Also they newest ones coming out now have grease fittings so you can grease them your self. Shouldnt be a problem any more.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I talked to joe the owner last week and they have fixed the problem they were having when they went to the billet center section made just for water. Also they newest ones coming out now have grease fittings so you can grease them your self. Shouldnt be a problem any more.

bobby,should i be talking to anyone about mine, obviously it sounds like a design flaw and i really don't want to be left hanging when the time comes and it does have a issue.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back