Throttle Body Disassembly and Reassembling?

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I want to get my tb powder coated to match my valve covers:clap:, but I have never taken one apart before and am wondering if there is a write up on it somewhere. I searched for it but didn't find anything and don't want to take it apart and mess it up.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Somebody? Anybody? I have it off the car and am thinking about tearing into it! Would like to get it sent out right away if it is possible to teardown.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The tps just comes off, goes on one way IIRC.
The stepper motor is a little more tricky.

There's a thread somewhere...

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the vid. Very helpful. Is it necessary to do the voltage test if it is the same tb going right back on the car?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
If you moved the TPS I think you do.
Not 100% on that.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
So if i just remove the electronics only off of it, get it coated and then put them right back on it should be fine? Are the gear metal? Non of the gears or blades and what not should have to come out, correct?

Maybe this isn't worth it?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I would assume so, the set screw there in the vid opens or closes the blades, and with that it turns the TPS, if you just took everything off and put it back I don't think you can get it wrong.

Do you have to strip it to powder coat the outside? maybe just paint it instead?

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Just need to get off the electronics for blasting and the heat i believe. I don't plan on removing the gears, blades, shaft, or the set screw that adjust the closed position.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I think you'll be OK just remember how everything came apart, take picture even,

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
okay, so the gears in there are plastic and won't come out without the shaft coming out. what should i do now, just put it back together....

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
If you look at 1:06 in the vid, the only way to put the TPS on wrong is if it's 180 degrees from where it started. you can't mess it up that bad.... and obviously you won't turn the TPS while it's off the TB

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
This is what I am down to now...

Picture088.jpg

Picture087.jpg

Picture086-1.jpg

Picture085-1.jpg

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Okay, so I think I am just going to reassemble it now. I got it tore down to this and it looks like there is a bearing pressed into each end that has a rubber center that I can't get out and I don't think it will hold up to the heat. What do you think?

Picture092.jpg

Picture090.jpg

Picture091.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
It's attached to your engine all it's life, I think it will survive.
what temp does powder coating get to?

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
400* Maybe I will just send it out and see how it holds up. Its only a stock tb and they are pretty easy to find!

Now if only someone made a metal intake cover so I could make that match also...

Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong and not being a pessimist, but I perceive trouble Fuel. If any of the powdercoating gets in the way of any of the actuation of the throttle body or the procedure distorts any of the tolerances, I smell trouble.

BUT, they are cheap. LOL

I personally would put the cost of powdercoating towards the FRPP polished 62mm beauty. LOL!

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong and not being a pessimist, but I perceive trouble Fuel. If any of the powdercoating gets in the way of any of the actuation of the throttle body or the procedure distorts any of the tolerances, I smell trouble.

BUT, they are cheap. LOL

I personally would put the cost of powdercoating towards the FRPP polished 62mm beauty. LOL!
I powder coat DSM throttle bodies all the time, never had an issue with tolerances or distortion. Since the plastic gears are removed I am confident this will turn out A-OK :)
The bearings should be fine.

Oh and the cost of powder coating wouldnt even begin to put a dent in the price of an FRPP T/B

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I powder coat DSM throttle bodies all the time, never had an issue with tolerances or distortion. Since the plastic gears are removed I am confident this will turn out A-OK :)
The bearings should be fine.

This I didn't know and I'm relieved he should be ok

fallenauthority said:
Oh and the cost of powder coating wouldnt even begin to put a dent in the price of an FRPP T/B

This I did know, but it's still a beauty! LOL!!!

I wanna see pics when finished because I want to do something with my stock throttle body. It's plain UUUUUuuugly!!!!!!! So you may get mine if this comes out as well as I hope!:beer:

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
This I didn't know and I'm relieved he should be ok

This I did know, but it's still a beauty! LOL!!!

I wanna see pics when finished because I want to do something with my stock throttle body. It's plain UUUUUuuugly!!!!!!! So you may get mine if this comes out as well as I hope!:beer:
Good! Glad to hear it :)
I am hoping it will turn out ok as well. Because I know a certain somebody with an ugly stock TB as well.......me :oops:
He volunteered to be a guinea pig lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back