Tire Size/ Wheel Offset Advice

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I figured this would be the place to ask because it seems that the AutoX guys run 285 square a lot. Here is the deal, my 2012 Brembo Vert needs new shoes. The car is a fair weather daily with mufflers, a 1" drop and a PHB. Meeeellloowwww for what I'm used to. But I have been known to push it around on the back roads from time to time. My wife drives it more than me (she's a bit of a nut).

The cheapest I can get into stock size rubber is $725 for some HRTZIII's. Not bad but they are.........stock.:yuck: I don't want to spend $725 on stock.

I can get into a set of Hankook V12's 275/35-19 for $993. Cool because they are less stock, but damn, they are almost a grand!

Then in my warped way I started to think abut a wheel/tire package. I'm thinking of the American Muscle AMR's 20x10 with a 48mm offset all the way round. They would be shod with 285/30-20's INVO's. On a 10" rim they are 11.34" wide and 26.73" tall.

I'm pretty sure that the AMR's/285's will fit. They absolutely will in the rear. I'm wondering if I'll have any issues up front with rubbing? More in the OD than the width. I do have CC plates on the car so I can dial a little camber in if I need too.

I know, I know, 20's! INVO's?!?! It's just a cruiser really. It will never go anywhere near "race car". I have other stuff for that.:thumb2:

Thanks for you input

jraskell

Reaction score
I run 18x10 Forgestars with a 42mm offset both front and rear. Only interference is the center caps on the front wheels. Wheel bearing cap sticks out too far to use them:

front-capless_zpsmovdxd2p.png

Doesn't bother me any, but I'm sure it would bother some people.

The AMR's have a 48mm offset. I seriously doubt there's enough clearance up front for that kind of offset. I'm pushing pretty close to the strut up front with a 42mm offset.

Last edited:

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
I run 18x10 Forgestars with a 42mm offset both front and rear. Only interference is the center caps on the front wheels. Wheel bearing cap sticks out too far to use them:

front-capless_zpsmovdxd2p.png

Doesn't bother me any, but I'm sure it would bother some people.

The AMR's have a 48mm offset. I seriously doubt there's enough clearance up front for that kind of offset. I'm pushing pretty close to the strut up front with a 42mm offset.

You can get deeper center caps that will clear the hubs.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My 18x10 AMRs have 285 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar on them

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
My 18x10 AMRs have 285 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar on them

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

You are missing the KEY detail on that and that is the side wall aspect ratio. 285/??/18... kinda critical:

285/35/18 RS3V2 on SVE Drifts (18x10 ET43):

SLIGHT, and I do mean extremely SLIGHT, rubbing of the inner fender liner at full lock. They rarely touch each other and if I actually got off my ass and replaced the missing pins holding the liner up it probably wouldn't rub at all. Also, -3.0º of camber, 0 toe and +7.8º of caster.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Skip the F1's. They suck. Bad.

Wore out in a summer, and had less grip than any other tire I've used in a 275+ width.
Nitto 555, maybe? Do you want 19's or 20's? I run a 275/35R19 NT05 up front, and it is plenty of grip, but also smoked in one summer.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Skip the F1's. They suck. Bad.
Yeah, they are horrible. My wife destroyed the stock set. She smashed the fronts, LOL.

Nitto 555, maybe? Do you want 19's or 20's? I run a 275/35R19 NT05 up front, and it is plenty of grip, but also smoked in one summer.

I really want to go with 20's. They look better and the car is really just a fair weather daily. The race car is for race car stuff.

Maybe 555's. I agree the NT05's are meh. I had some on the race car. Not enough grip for how fast they wore out, they absolutely suck in the rain and the tread pattern makes them look skinny. I like the INVO's a lot. We had them on our 2010 shop car. Plenty of traction for spirited street driving, fantastic in the rain, real quiet and quite smooth. The tread is sorta goofy, but I can get over that.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking to try out the Toyo T1 Sport in 285/30-20 on a set of 20x10 +48 AMR's here within the next month. My wheels should arrive in about a week and then it's just a matter of getting the tires and getting them mounted.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Sumitomo HRTZ III's now. They get great reviews and are pretty inexpensive. Any of you have any input?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back