transmission fluid mt6

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
I have read a few things about this but I didn't see anyone running a "performance" or aftermaeket fluid

Any suggestions, I wanna change it while its out if the car

BlackMamba03

forum member
Reaction score
Redline MTL or Royal Purple 75w90 gear oil. Most people have gone with Redline.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Is there a noticeable difference when swapping fluids?

Reaction score
Is there a noticeable difference when swapping fluids?

Everyone that swaps says they notice a night and day difference. The reason why i'm considering the MTG over MTL is because the viscosity at lower temperatures is not as low as the MTL. I'm afraid with the MTL it will produce more synchro whine over the MTG. Honestly though from what i've been told by unleashedbeast is any synthetic based fluid will be noticable over the petroleum based fluid that is stock.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder why they used petroleum based fluid from the factory?

I know Ive been hearing about this fluid swapping for a while now, I guess Ive just been waiting it out to see if there are long term effects before I try it.
Transmission tech is one area where I know Im out of my element.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
any synthetic based fluid will be noticable over the petroleum based fluid that is stock.

add the word "TRUE" to synthetic to make this statement 100% correct.

Interesting. I wonder why they used petroleum based fluid from the factory?

because it saves money, and the bean counters prefer money over top performance.

So mtl or mtg?

Why pay retail for Red Line MTL (14.99 quart) when you can buy Amsoil MTG (11.45 quart) @ dealer cost by signing up as a preferred customer?

Preferred Customer

Then you can buy there oil and oil filters at cost to save a bundle.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Here is a great example.

The T6060 transmission in the 2007+ Shelby GT500 is known for a clunky bum shifting from 1-2, especially in colder weather. The stock ATF (cheap) fluid that Ford uses just doesn't get the job done.

Most of us replaced our transmission fluid with Amsoil Synthetic ATF, and problem solved. It was 38*F in northwest Florida tonight. My car shifts just fine from the first cold start up. There is simply no comparison between petroleum and true synthetic base lubricants.

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
Everyone that swaps says they notice a night and day difference. The reason why i'm considering the MTG over MTL is because the viscosity at lower temperatures is not as low as the MTL. I'm afraid with the MTL it will produce more synchro whine over the MTG. Honestly though from what i've been told by unleashedbeast is any synthetic based fluid will be noticable over the petroleum based fluid that is stock.
whats the viscosity of the MTG vs the MTL in low temps?

i was thinking of switching in the spring, but i've noticed a whine in 1st-3rd gears. i might hold off and see if the whine gets worst, that way if the dealer has to tear into it they can't try and blame the fluid

m4reapr

Reaction score
heard a faint whine (whistle?) in 3rd and 4th (less) on the throttle, it was very faint but there
MTL 70w80 put in and the noise (if you can call it that) is gone, went away within 100 miles
putting the car in gear and the 1-2 shift were immediately easier to do, like as soon as the car was backed down the driveway

car came with the QS fluid (5/10 build), never did the DCT fluid tsb (too thin IMO)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Thank you!

So I can get amsoil cheaper?
Local parts store?

If you buy it locally, expect to pay retail prices for it. The only way to get it cheaper is to buy it through their preferred customer program. Then you can buy it at dealer/wholesale cost.

whats the viscosity of the MTG vs the MTL in low temps?

Amsoil MTG is more viscous of the two fluids. This is a good this assuming you are driving your car above 0*F. The internal gears will be quieter on MTG compared to Red Line MTL.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
never did the DCT fluid tsb (too thin IMO)

I recently did the DCT fluid tsb and I'm not impressed. Shifting is still notchy unless the temperature is 60+ degrees out. This month I took a 100+ mile road trip (in 40 degree weather) and the shifting was notchy the whole way. A local store carries Amsoil. I'm planning on trying that next.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back