transmission fluid mt6

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
This will be my first oil change for the car so I guess it depends on how tight the factory has the filter.

I believe the factory-installed filter is a different size from the Motorcraft FL500S filter, so even if you had a wrench, it wouldn't fit. The factory filter is bigger - it's longer for sure and I think it's fatter too.

Hold the phone! Why are we talking about oil filters on the transmission oil thread?

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
This will be my first oil change for the car so I guess it depends on how tight the factory has the filter.

It's actually extremely easy to get off. They're not screwed on tight.

Hold the phone! Why are we talking about oil filters on the transmission oil thread?

Was just thinking that.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
I believe the factory-installed filter is a different size from the Motorcraft FL500S filter, so even if you had a wrench, it wouldn't fit. The factory filter is bigger - it's longer for sure and I think it's fatter too.

Here is a picture comparing the OEM Coyote/Roadrunner filter to the aftermarket 500 and 820.

207b56b5.jpg

c242e9bd.jpg

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting! I was pretty sure that the factory filter I took off my GT last August was bigger than the FL500S that I put on. I'll take a look to see if it's still in the garage awaiting recycling.

I already have a Boss oil cooler and I'm going to install a sandwich plate for oil temp and pressure sensors, so I've been thinking of using the AC Delco UPF48R filter from the ZR1. It's about the same size as the OEM filter in the picture, maybe a little shorter.

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
I've started having the notchy shifting as described in my 2013. Idk if its bc of the cold or bc of mechanical issues but does everyone seem to be satisfied with the amsoil mtg solving the shifting issues? Anyone with a 2013 in particular?

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
Can you clarify which is the appropriate transmission fluid for MT82? I was told MTG is the correct fluid by my Amsoil dealer...

MTG was recommended for high-temp application (HPDE, Texas summer). Transmission is slower to shift in cold mornings and winters, but shifts fine after a few miles...

Don't use MTG, use MTF.

Last edited:

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
I want the dealership to put in a different fluid but they say they can't find anything wrong and all the tsb appear to be for 11-12. Anybody have a tsb they can find?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
MTG was recommended by Amsoil BEFORE Ford changed the recommendation to DCT fluid (a very light synchromesh). Now, Amsoil has no formal recommendation as to avoid issues with the MT82 all together.

However, it's been proven MTF (Amsoil Synchromesh) works well in this transmission, allowing for better shifts than any other fluid.

Grabber2012

Reaction score
I want the dealership to put in a different fluid but they say they can't find anything wrong and all the tsb appear to be for 11-12. Anybody have a tsb they can find?

After owning mine for a couple years now, it just seems to be the nature of the transmission. Unleashed beast I think I talked to you on svt performance and I got the synchromesh from your recommendation along with going for the 5w-30 SS for the coyote, it really isn't that bad if you just buy the 6month membership fixing to re-up again on both fluids before it runs out. I can also say from going by the oil sensor the life is lasting a lot longer with this oil. How often should you change tranny fluid?

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Supposedly, the new XL-18 is supposed to cure the shifting issues like cold shift and the notchieness.....I may try that if the dealer cant fix my issues or switch to the amsoil recommended. I think the XL-18 might be more of a band aid then anything else.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
I use MTG and love it. Like mentioned, in high temp climates it's perfect. If it's under ~50* out then it has to warm up for a few miles before shifting butter smooth again.

I've sold a good bit of MTG, prob 2 dozen changes worth and have only had 1 person not like it, who lived more north and bought it against my recommendation.

However I'd be willing to try MTF in the future.

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
I use MTG and love it. Like mentioned, in high temp climates it's perfect. If it's under ~50* out then it has to warm up for a few miles before shifting butter smooth again.

I've sold a good bit of MTG, prob 2 dozen changes worth and have only had 1 person not like it, who lived more north and bought it against my recommendation.

Im probably going to try the mtf bc I've seen temps as low as 19 degrees this year and it shifts bad on 1st to 2nd. Since there doesn't appear to be a recommendation by amsoil does that mean its still 100% compatible with the mt82. I don't want it to destroy anything

luillo

forum member
Reaction score

Where can I find these MTG? I look in a soil and they list two different 5w30 and 75w90

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
I'm using the redline MTL and it does pretty good, better than the ford revised fluid that was in it before, though when cold I do still get gear clash mainly in second.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
I'm using the redline MTL and it does pretty good, better than the ford revised fluid that was in it before, though when cold I do still get gear clash mainly in second.

that is my main problem 2nd and 3rd gear, even if I try very slowly. I will try the Amsoil oil and drive it in summer to check if is any improvement.
if it still grinding or crunchy I will rule for synchronizers bad again.

kona302

forum member
Reaction score
Put the MTF in today, feels better a bit smoother. We will see tomorrows cold temperatures and how it does at cold start.

update 2-19-15
Its been cold but not below freezing. Shifts smoother, just a little different. I did get a 5th gear grind going from 3rd to 5th. havent got it again and that was with normal driving.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back