Tulsa Shootout - Rules and Classes Discussion

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea, but there are some low 12, high 11 sec cars that are not street driven and would be no contest in an outlaw class.

I am thinking of guys with straight up gutted cars that weight 3000 lbs with a driver, and open headers. They can't drive anywhere but on the track, vs. guys with cars like John can drive it to Tulsa, race, and drive it home.

I personally want to keep it as simple as possible with as few rules and classes as possible. BUT, I am playing devil's advocate to get convo going. :beer:

Once again, the above runs 12s and Matt runs 11s. The cars are driven on the street. I know a car or two that runs in 12-13
sec range and is not street legal but what is the point? It's kind of embarasing when the guy who beats you in a heads up shootout runs an 11.0 and drives it home. I just think that those guys have to run in outlaw or re-evaluate the direction they are going on their cars, at least for the time being.

12.09.... that typo is important to those of us whove been running 12.0x :angry1:for a year now :asshat:
:beerdrink: :lol:

isnt that right, John... :poke:

:lol:

It was a double typo because I meant 12.10. :lol:

Last edited:

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My apologies again. I'll be posting up that easy 11.xx slip in two weeks...Chad, that will make you feel much better...:poke2::poke2:

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL! I forgot about the spring "mixup". Dumbest thing I've done on the car in a long time!

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Yeah, i'm not for having a ton of classes. This is more of a get together than a race in my eyes. I just wanted us all to get together and have a good couple days of racing. Hell, my car runs between 12.15 and 11.87 on my 20's, so odds of me winning shit is nothing. I'm just coming for the hell of it and having fun! One bracket racing division is the easiest way for everyone to have a chance and it would be for true daily driver cars, but i'll get my ass kicked regardless because i'm about as inconsistent as they come with my stick and street tires. We've got a while to figure everything out, but it's definitely going to be a s197forum event only. People can always grudge race for some money or bragging rights..lol

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Don't feel too bad, I had to install my tr6060 3 times in 2 days. The first time I put the cluth in backwards. I couldn't figure out why no matter how much I bleed the system, it would never release the disc. The third time was because the pilot bearing fell out while putting it back in the second time.

Of course I got nothing but laughs from the guys at the shop.

Last edited:

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This event is my vacation. I am going to meet you guys, drink beer, raise some hell, and have a fun day racing..I am driving from Connecticut, so I will have fun no matter what, win or lose. :thumb: I like the idea of a bracket deal though..

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Okay, we only have 3 months to raise enough money to pay for the event. If we don't pay for the track buy Jan 3, 2011, we will not be able to hit our April race date.

Do you guys want to discuss this some more tonight and tomorrow and post the registration thread tomorrow night? Or can we say what's list below is good, and lets go for it.

This is what we have for recommended rules as it stands now.

Pending Rules…

All Classes / General (includes bracket)
You have to pass track tech inspection. Use the NHRA rules as a guide. In doubt, call the track and ask. All cars MUST be original OEM door slammer Ford Chassis’. No Tubed Chassis. Fiber hood and trunk lids okay.

Event organizers and track staff have final say on safety issues and class assignment. Remember, it’s for fun, so play nice.

Bracket
Run whatcha brung, sportsman ladder, 0.500 Full Tree

NA Shootout
Stock computer, 3V or 4V modular motor (stroker motors ok), any transmission, stock style suspension (coil overs ok), interior stock appearing including, but not limited to factory dash, carpet (aftermarket seats ok, rear seat delete ok). Slicks ok, trans brake ok, no electronics, sportsman ladder, heads up 0.400 Pro Tree.

Power Adder Shootout
Stock computer, 3V or 4V modular motor (stroker motors ok), limit of one (1) power adder, any transmission, stock style suspension (coil overs ok), interior stock appearing including, but not limited to factory dash, carpet (aftermarket seats ok, rear seat delete ok). Slicks ok, trans brake ok, no electronics, sportsman ladder, heads up 0.400 Pro Tree.

Full Race Outlaw
Any Engine, any engine management system, multiple power adders, any transmission, stock style suspension (coil overs ok), interior stock appearing including, but not limited to factory dash, carpet (aftermarket seats ok, rear seat delete ok). Slicks ok, trans brake ok, no electronics, sportsman ladder, heads up 0.400 Pro Tree.

Note - Aftermarket computer (i.e. MSD FAST and similar), regardless of the rest of the setup, you’re in Full Race Outlaw.

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A couple quick clarifications:

1) if you are entered in any of the three shootout classes, you can also enter the bracket class--in other words you can run two classes if one of them is the bracket class

2) I know that there are some members on here that have other then S197 mustangs. They can particpate to, but under TNT.

3) TNT should be added just to let people know that if you want to come out to meet everyone and just to have fun, then TNT is for you.

Finally, I think we have a good starting point, but I want to hear from more people that plan on coming out.

I think the track we picked was a great choice. Centrally located, camping allowed, RV hookups, concessions will be open, scales will be open, they have race gas (104 unleaded, 110, 112, and methanol) at the track and at a pump (how cool is that?)

Lets see if we can get the classes nailed down in the next few days and get the paypal sign up ready. Weather permitting, I think this will be a great get-together.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Well....how about this?

N/A: Licensed/Insured/Registered (any of these insure legality due to various state regulations), no paper or dealer tags. Primarily for street driven S197 Mustangs. No body-in-white cars or stripped/gutted cars allowed. Factory ECU required. Heads Up, .400 Pro Tree

Engine: Any engine modifications allowed. Full exhaust required, catalytic converters optional. Exhaust must exit no further than 12" of the rear end housing. If equipped with electric cutouts...you better not open the damn things or your ass is out of here! NO POWER ADDERS ALLOWED. Any nitrous lines must be capped at the solenoids. Factory ECU required. No aftermarket engine management allowed.

Transmission: Factory 5R55S may be replaced with 4R70W, C4, TH400. No transbrake allowed during competition. Factory 3650 manual may be replaced with any factory style Tremec upgrade transmission. No Toploader/Borg Warner/Jerico/G-Force style transmissions. No aftermarket clutchless transmissions allowed (Jerico, G-Force, Lenco, Jeffco, etc)

Rear: Factory 8.8 rear allowed. Any upgrades to housing/gears/axles allowed. May be narrowed but cannot relocate factory suspension mounting points. Any brakes allowed. Factory rear may be replaced with heavier duty replacement (ie: 9" Ford) but MUST retain all factory suspension points.

Front Suspension: Factory front suspension required, may be upgraded with aftermarket tubular K-member/A-arms along with coil-over struts. Any brakes allowed.

Rear Suspension: Rear suspension must remain factory style. Aftermarket upper and lower arms allowed but must attach to factory chassis points. Upper arm mounting may be aftermarket but must attach in factory location. Lower arm relocation brackets allowed.

Wheels/Tires: Aftermarket wheels allowed. Radial, Drag Radial, DOT Bias Ply, and race slicks allowed.

Interior: Full factory interior required. Rear seat may be deleted but area must be covered by commonly available "rear seat delete" package. Full factory instrumentation and dash layout required. Aftermarket gauges allowed.

Power Adder: Licensed/Insured/Registered (any of these insure legality due to various state regulations), no paper or dealer tags. Primarily for street driven S197 Mustangs. No body-in-white cars or stripped/gutted cars allowed. Factory ECU required. Heads Up, .400 Pro Tree

Engine: Any engine modifications allowed. Full exhaust required, catalytic converters optional. Exhaust must exit no further than 12" of the rear end housing. If equipped with electric cutouts...you better not open the damn things or your ass is out of here! Any supercharger allowed. Any nitrous system allowed. Single and twin turbo systems allowed but must send exhaust through full exhaust system. No open downpipes allowed. No dual power adders allowed. No mixing nitrous with blowers or turbos. No turbos blowing into blowers. Factory ECU required. No aftermarket engine management systems allowed.

Transmission: Factory 5R55S may be replaced with 4R70W, C4, TH400. No transbrake allowed during competition. Factory 3650 manual may be replaced with any factory style Tremec upgrade transmission. No Toploader/Borg Warner/Jerico/G-Force style transmissions. No aftermarket clutchless transmissions allowed (Jerico, G-Force, Lenco, Jeffco, etc)

Rear: Factory 8.8 rear allowed. Any upgrades to housing/gears/axles allowed. May be narrowed but cannot relocate factory suspension mounting points. Any brakes allowed. Factory rear may be replaced with heavier duty replacement (ie: 9" Ford) but MUST retain all factory suspension points.

Front Suspension: Factory front suspension required, may be upgraded with aftermarket tubular K-member/A-arms along with coil-over struts. Any brakes allowed.

Rear Suspension: Rear suspension must remain factory style. Aftermarket upper and lower arms allowed but must attach to factory chassis points. Upper arm mounting may be aftermarket but must attach in factory location. Lower arm relocation brackets allowed.

Wheels/Tires: Aftermarket wheels allowed. Radial, Drag Radial, DOT Bias Ply, and race slicks allowed.

Interior: Full factory interior required. Rear seat may be deleted but area must be covered by commonly available "rear seat delete" package. Full factory instrumentation and dash layout required. Aftermarket gauges allowed.

Outlaw: Run whatcha' brung and hope ya' brung enough! Aftermarket engine management allowed, any Ford engine allowed, any transmission allowed, any suspension allowed, any rear end allowed, any wheels/tires allowed. Must retain original Ford S197 chassis. No tube chassis or backhalf chassis allowed. (Consider anything up to NMRA SSO to be legal) Heads Up, .400 Pro Tree

Exhibition: Outlaw 10.5, Pro Mod, Pro Stock, ADRL XTF/XPS/PM, etc, etc.

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think, while much more specific, it still retains the basic idea that we wanted. Question however---would more then 1 power adder be allowed in the power adder class under your proposed rules?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
No. Single power adder only. No mixing nitrous with blowers or turbos and no turbos blowing into superchargers.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
A couple quick clarifications:

1) if you are entered in any of the three shootout classes, you can also enter the bracket class--in other words you can run two classes if one of them is the bracket class

I think that is a good idea. I also think we should specify that once time trials begin, regardless of what class(es) you are in, you can no longer T&T until you are eliminated from those classes.

What do you guys think about that?

2) I know that there are some members on here that have other then S197 mustangs. They can particpate to, but under TNT.

3) TNT should be added just to let people know that if you want to come out to meet everyone and just to have fun, then TNT is for you.

We can add all that to the registration posting for sure.

Finally, I think we have a good starting point, but I want to hear from more people that plan on coming out.

I think the track we picked was a great choice. Centrally located, camping allowed, RV hookups, concessions will be open, scales will be open, they have race gas (104 unleaded, 110, 112, and methanol) at the track and at a pump (how cool is that?)

Lets see if we can get the classes nailed down in the next few days and get the paypal sign up ready. Weather permitting, I think this will be a great get-together.

Sounds good...

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i haven't read every post, but perhaps a stick only bracket class would be fun. no electronics with the exception of perhaps a launch rev limiter. it could be set up any number of ways, the main idea would be a manually shifted clutched car...no clutchless shifting allowed...just a thought. if it's already been mentioned, nevermind.

Back