Tulsa Shootout - Rules and Classes Discussion

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
i haven't read every post, but perhaps a stick only bracket class would be fun. no electronics with the exception of perhaps a launch rev limiter. it could be set up any number of ways, the main idea would be a manually shifted clutched car...no clutchless shifting allowed...just a thought. if it's already been mentioned, nevermind.

Uuuummm....no. Launch limiter is legal in bracket class anyway. So, unless you can get Tremec or one of the clutch companies to sponsor a "stick-only" bracket class then you're in the "one-class fits all" bracket class. :thumb:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
No. S197 only goes down the track. Otherwise, you'll end up with the aforementioned "family mini-van."

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Paul so let me ask this question .

I have two power adders. Turbo + Nitrous , but I still haven't used the nitrous once going down the track . My use now on the Nitrous is set up on a window switch ONLY for spool up when having to go up on a Pro Tree.

Because my converter set up is still very streetable if I were to try and build boost to launch at 10 to 12 psi's I wouldn't be able to do it with a Pro Tree .
If I were to line up 1st and start building boost someone could easily fry me at the line with my 4R70W if they were uncurtious. I would have to abort the run if temps come up too high while I wait for them.
With the nitrous I floor it with my finger on the TB it sprays nitrous and turns off at 3700 Im in full 10 to 12 psi's almost instanly . Without it Im dead at the line .
Now if my converter was much looser more like a race car set up then Id be ok .
So what class would I be in ?
Are they going to let people run if they have no roll bars for 11.49 or quicker?
Just want to be sure befo I start spending more money. Haahhaaha:beer:

Pete

US-1

Banned
Reaction score

I have two power adders. Turbo + Nitrous , but I still haven't used the nitrous once going down the track . My use now on the Nitrous is set up on a window switch ONLY for spool up when having to go up on a Pro Tree.

Because my converter set up is still very streetable if I were to try and build boost to launch at 10 to 12 psi's I wouldn't be able to do it with a Pro Tree .
If I were to line up 1st and start building boost someone could easily fry me at the line with my 4R70W if they were uncurtious. I would have to abort the run if temps come up too high while I wait for them.
With the nitrous I floor it with my finger on the TB it sprays nitrous and turns off at 3700 Im in full 10 to 12 psi's almost instanly . Without it Im dead at the line .
So what class would I be in ?​

Outlaw

Are they going to let people run if they have no roll bars for 11.49 or quicker?
No. You have a nine second car and no bar. Either you're suicidal, cheap, or stupid, Pete. Put a bar in it.​

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

So what class would I be in ?
Just want to be sure befo I start spending more money. Haahhaaha:beer:

Pete

While I have seen tracks look the other way if you run an 11.40 or so, there is no way (any track I know of) that would let you run without even a bar in the low 10s, high 9s. I thought you had a roll bar? Also, keep in mind once you are in the 9s, you need a TON more stuff to meet safety requirements. Based on that I probably would stick around 10.0 like you were in True Street. How did you run 10.0s in true street without a bar?

As far as the other thing, I would wait for the other car to stage. I don't think we are going to have a courtesy staging rule, but even if we did, just let the other car double bulb first.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Man, I would love to enforce courtesy stagging, but I don't know that we will have enough experianced drivers.

Pete, seriously... get a roll bar man. 6 point with swing-outs would be a good setup. you should have a DS loop, blow proof bell housing, and a bunch of other things. Get the NHRA rule book, or at least find a partial online copy somewhere. All BS aside, these things could mean the difference between dying in a crash vs. walking away with no or superficial injuries.

Shit, Paul, didn't you have your roll bar save your life when you were t-boned by a truck on the streets? That's one of the reasons I want a 6 point even though I am not that fast.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
No--not in the bracket racing--I was saying for TNT and call outs?

*ahem*

S197 Forum Shootout

Hence.....S197 cars. Trying to promote this to magazines this winter is going to be a major bitch if we start letting other cars (especially a goddamn Corvette) onto the track.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No. You have a nine second car and no bar. Either you're suicidal, cheap, or stupid, Pete. Put a bar in it.[/LEFT]

hmmmm... never thought I was any of those..... :thud:

And Paul.... I know of one track.............

I really want to make it to this event, I doubt that I'll bet a car there with me. Maybe I'll catch a ride with Billy or fly out for the weekend.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
I just would hate to see this turn into a complicated deal. All these classes, restrictions, rules, etc. I know there are alot of people who "race" their cars on this site, but in actuality there are only a few who RACE their cars here.

Too me the carrot is going to have a kick ass time, seeing a bunch of kick ass cars, meeting a bunch of kick ass people, and yeah get to make some passes. To me thats worth the expense and the 12+ hour drive.

Want a reason to give away stuff, how about some of these ideas?
Farthest travelled
quickest ET
quickest 60ft
best burnout
best looking car
fan's choice

Just some ideas (Im sure there are plenty of others)

I'd prefer just to have bracket racing. Car must run at least a 13.99 Gives everyone a chance, and exposes those who dont (or never) race to racing.

If the big boys want to have their own. Do a quick 8 (or 12,16 depending on count). Can be set by qualifying, maybe a little entrance money can be paid on the spot. or some type of dash for cash. Heads up run what you brung.

Want to entice some of our vendors here? Let them bring a car for free, plus let them setup a booth with some product. They get to do that if they donate a minimum amount prize (50, 100, whatever).

I think if we do it this way it will keep the cost down. Basically my fee goes to just helping to pay track fees, not track fees + prize money, trophies etc. Also I think it will attract more of the casual racer.

I coming regardless of what is decided for the kick ass reasons I stated above. It will just depend on what is decided on how much racing or TNT I do. (meaning Im not going to change the build of my car just to fit in a class for this)

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Outlaw

No. You have a nine second car and no bar. Either you're suicidal, cheap, or stupid, Pete. Put a bar in it.[/LEFT]

Haahahahaha, definately none of the above , Ill put a 8 point in it and run 10.0s well most of the time at least.

. How did you run 10.0s in true street without a bar?/QUOTE]

I dont know , honestly I thought they were going to kick me out when I went 9.98 in Testing Friday before the True Street Event . They never said anything , but Sunday they came by the trailer and said I wouldn't be allowed to run in the Spring Break Shootout 16 go figure after 3 days of making at least 8 runs in the 10.0s.
Im going to put 8 point in with removeable door bars . Just haven't gone around it yet trying to finish my Fox Body.

Pete

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
*ahem*

S197 Forum Shootout

Hence.....S197 cars. Trying to promote this to magazines this winter is going to be a major bitch if we start letting other cars (especially a goddamn Corvette) onto the track.

Ok as long as you have a master plan....

(meaning Im not going to change the build of my car just to fit in a class for this)

You don't have to. We already have a bracket class and a TNT. These two classes will allow anyone with a S197 to participate.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Have we set a date on the event yet, or is that still up in the air. Regardless of classes I still plan on attending just to run and have a good time.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
We are shooting for April 16-17, but that is not slated until we book with the track.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well....how about this?

N/A: Licensed/Insured/Registered (any of these insure legality due to various state regulations), no paper or dealer tags. Primarily for street driven S197 Mustangs. No body-in-white cars or stripped/gutted cars allowed. Factory ECU required. Heads Up, .400 Pro Tree

Engine: Any engine modifications allowed. Full exhaust required, catalytic converters optional. Exhaust must exit no further than 12" of the rear end housing. If equipped with electric cutouts...you better not open the damn things or your ass is out of here! NO POWER ADDERS ALLOWED. Any nitrous lines must be capped at the solenoids. Factory ECU required. No aftermarket engine management allowed.

Transmission: Factory 5R55S may be replaced with 4R70W, C4, TH400. No transbrake allowed during competition. Factory 3650 manual may be replaced with any factory style Tremec upgrade transmission. No Toploader/Borg Warner/Jerico/G-Force style transmissions. No aftermarket clutchless transmissions allowed (Jerico, G-Force, Lenco, Jeffco, etc)

Rear: Factory 8.8 rear allowed. Any upgrades to housing/gears/axles allowed. May be narrowed but cannot relocate factory suspension mounting points. Any brakes allowed. Factory rear may be replaced with heavier duty replacement (ie: 9" Ford) but MUST retain all factory suspension points.

Front Suspension: Factory front suspension required, may be upgraded with aftermarket tubular K-member/A-arms along with coil-over struts. Any brakes allowed.

Rear Suspension: Rear suspension must remain factory style. Aftermarket upper and lower arms allowed but must attach to factory chassis points. Upper arm mounting may be aftermarket but must attach in factory location. Lower arm relocation brackets allowed.

Wheels/Tires: Aftermarket wheels allowed. Radial, Drag Radial, DOT Bias Ply, and race slicks allowed.

Interior: Full factory interior required. Rear seat may be deleted but area must be covered by commonly available "rear seat delete" package. Full factory instrumentation and dash layout required. Aftermarket gauges allowed.

Ok First time I had a chance to go over the whole thread... When I set out to the rockingham race I had a 12.0 car and I was going for the NA class regardless... back then Art, my self , chad, John were all 12.0-12.5, The only car that had us covered by leaps and bounds was Ron with his red beast. Now that I run low 11's I see what everyone is saying how it's going to be hard to run the NA class.. Unfortenly I built my car for the ultimate NA street car lol I want to come and have fun and this class was basicly ment for me before I even did this set up.

Right now Ron, my self and Art will be that faster NA cars along with Mike castro if he shows up. If I have to add weight or run my drag radials instead of my current set up I will to accomodate the et's. The rules above posted by SD is exactly how my car is. I drive my car on the street (had it out all weekend) weight reduction but still everything in tact. I have to put a 6 point cage before the event.

Now.... If the new 5.0's are running in the NA class then we will see alot more low 11's high 10's from JPC's, lethal and a few other shops.

Basicly I am Down for what ever.. as long as it's the all motor class im going after it. I will be joining the bracket class aswell :thumb:

Like Chad and kimmer said... Let's just have a fun day of racing. If I can run at 3200 lbs on my slicks I will be running some stupid et's and I would love to set a record in front of the S197 crowd :evillaugh:

Ron im comin for you buddy!

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back