Turbo Saleen final steps

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
I just took some pics and put them in my photo bucket account, sorry, my phone won't let me post pics. The compressor wheel spins freely, but it doesn't stay spinning for more than around 10 seconds after I kill the engine.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
The center section is steel and it's probably just turning the paint from the heat, I would imagine it's painted not coated. You will need about .040 restictor if it's a BB and, like Fuel, about .065 for a journal bearing.

Doesn't that kit have a screwy oil drain setup? Did it require you to punch the pan and run a drain line into it? I was thinking it had a different kind of drain setup.

Earl
Instructions have you tie in to the oil level sensor with a tee.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought I remembered something like that. Did you make the connection as straight through as possible? I mean does you drain line go into the pan without doing a 90* turn?

Earl

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
I thought I remembered something like that. Did you make the connection as straight through as possible? I mean does you drain line go into the pan without doing a 90* turn?

Earl

Yes, I straightened it out as much as possible with no 90s, its a smooth transition with no flat areas.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC turbonetics doesnt make a true full bb chra or if they do now its not standard. It's technicaly a hybrid. It uses a steel ball bearing catridge on the compressor side and still uses a journal floating sleeve bearing on the turbine side. Hence why when precision started making their bb units it was referred to as a dual ball bearing unit and cost more as it uses 2 bb catridges one on each side of the shaft in the chra. Comp to my knowldeg is the only one that employs a tripple ball bearing setup so one on each side and a third dedicated to handle thrust load.

In general 75% of the guys out there need some form of oil restrictor on a 3v setup due to the volume and pressure of the oil pump. Cold start is the worst time as oil pressure is at its highest and the oil ring seals in the turbo are thier loosest. So getting some smoking on cold start is more or less "normal" on a 3v. Now if your getting smoking on accel or deccel or after coming to a stop when your car is warmed up then you have excessive leakage and you will need a restrictor. Some guys get luckly and the feed and drain and crankcase ventilation is adequate and they have no smoking issues, but its not that common. I tell most guys to run it without it, and if it smokes excessively go to a .065 oil restrictor on the feed and make sure the crankcase is being ventilated well which keeps the drain from getting backed up.

Last edited:

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks again for the info Jeremy, I'll have my wife drive behind me and see what the car does after I gut the cats. Did any of you guys look at the pics? Dues that look normal? Click the link in my sig.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the turbo used? Looks like someone painted over a rusted center section and then the heat burned the paint back off.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I'll see how it does and go from there. Do you know if I can have this turbo rebuilt with better parts fur a quicker response, etc?

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Started it up this morning to check, no smoke, idled fine, ran good. I'll start my monthly week off this Friday, so the cats are coming out! Lito is excellent, told him I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to send him another log and he just says "take your time"... He's no tooner and a great guy to do business with.

javdog07c/s

forum member
Reaction score
just read the full thread, so what is the latest, i have a Turbonetics kit that i will have installed by RET(racers edge tuning). after reading all this i cant wait to have the work done..

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Not much has changed, the weather had sucked here since xmas, it has finally started to get better so I'm supposed to gut them tomorrow but we'll see. I don't drive it often but when I do it's allot of fun. I'm trying to plan and decide what's next, forged bottom end and turn up the boost, full build or go a different route. That may all change when I gut the cats and get the final tune, you'll love it, but eventually, you'll want more, lol.

javdog07c/s

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks bro, I will keep following this thread on the upgrades to your bad asss Saleen..

OneQwkStang

Improving the Breed
Reaction score
Still no videos???? This car does not run, thread is all lies......Vids or Im telling the truth. lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back