Typical shop cost to forge motor?

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
You wont find many MMR fans here.

Are you doing the work yourself? With the R&R and any machine work, you might still be better off buying an Aluminator and selling your stock motor to recover some cost.

Mach3011

Reaction score
Why is that?

I will be having a shop do it, not sure I trust myself enough. Do you know the typical sale price of the motor? I suppose you sell it on ebay?

TW1NTRB0

forum member
Reaction score
If you're not aiming at big power then an Aluminator is a great option since you can sell your stock motor to recoup some cash like stated above or keep it for a spare. An Aluminator can be done at home in the driveway if needed. I would not buy an MMR motor and I would shy away from any company that has that much negative attached to their name, it's just not worth the risk. I would also look local as you could probably find a similar deal from a local builder with Coyote experience.

Mach3011

Reaction score
If you're not aiming at big power then an Aluminator is a great option since you can sell your stock motor to recoup some cash like stated above or keep it for a spare. An Aluminator can be done at home in the driveway if needed. I would not buy an MMR motor and I would shy away from any company that has that much negative attached to their name, it's just not worth the risk. I would also look local as you could probably find a similar deal from a local builder with Coyote experience.

Noted, this is great info. Did not know MMR had such a bad rep. I am still in the initial phases of all the research.

Do you know what the typical range would be for forging if I found a local shop? I have emailed a few but waiting on responses.

Does anyone know the install cost of an Aluminator? I am not sure that's a job I would tackle myself.

Just trying to get some cost mapping laid out and can't seem to find typical ranges anywhere.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
location has a huge part in labor costs.....

R&R - ~ 1200-1800 depending on location.

also search the site, this topic has been covered many times and don't post questions like this in tech. Thank you.

also Fuck MMR!

Last edited:

Mach3011

Reaction score
location has a huge part in labor costs.....

R&R - ~ 1200-1800 depending on location.

also search the site, this topic has been covered many times and don't post questions like this in tech. Thank you.

also Fuck MMR!

Noted, must have used poor search terms I'll try again.

Also, why all the hate on MMR? (I know nothing about them.)

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
search mmr on this forum and you'll see a long list of pissed off ex customers. i never have nor never will do anything with mmr due to the problems they have.

tnsaleen

forum member
Reaction score
As stated, location will play a big part in labor costs. I am in middle TN and the shop that is doing all the machine work for my short block is about $750. That's balanced, bearings clearanced, machining, magnafluxing, the whole thing.

My builder quoted me $500 to assemble the short block. That's rechecking the bearings, file fit the rings, and so on. So right now, I am at $1250 for labor and machine work on the shortblock. Add the fasteners, rods, pistons, block, crank, bearings and such and I am around $3100. I did upgrade the wrist pins as well, found a used 03-04 cobra crank, and a low mile NVH block.

mach828

forum member
Reaction score
That rotating assembly doesn't even have MMR parts. They are ARP, Manley, and Ford.

Most of the MMR issues are relating to their labor (engine assembly) or their own parts.

Mach3011

Reaction score
That rotating assembly doesn't even have MMR parts. They are ARP, Manley, and Ford.

Most of the MMR issues are relating to their labor (engine assembly) or their own parts.

So it would make more sense to just get parts straight from Manley then as I will have it all installed and done locally. Any comment on Livernois?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I read that, I mean more in the sense of pre-assembled versus not.

I see, so short block vs. long block.

Well that will depend on your labor costs. the long block install will be less time than a short block swap.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Where do you live?

I built a pretty solid lower end on my car for much less than what most companies are going to charge you. Blake Holcomb hooked it up

Back