Upper Dash Squeaks. Removal?

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
So after being in the sun and getting hot, the dash in my 2006 GT squeaks badly. It basically sounds like two pieces of styrofoam being rubbed together quickly over even the slightest rough road. If I put my hand on about the middle of the dash the squeaks stop. SO, can the upper dash pad be pulled? I am thinkin dynamat on the bottom of it should cure it. Or is it part of the entire dash?

wdkingery

@ home installer hero
Reaction score
there is a..

TSB for dash squeaks. i read it. it said they used crummy tape/forgot to use tape at all (just another day on the bus i guess) down where the a pillar comes into the dash. don't have to remove dash from what i understood. altho it sounds as if you are dealing with something slightly different.
just my .02

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue and under warranty the dealer fixed it. it was two plastic parts rubbing, they used a self adhesive foam tape to stop the noise.

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
Have you bothered looking through the service manual sticky for removal instructions?

You know, you posted a snotty reply in my other thread too. YES I read the sticky and I didn't see the dash removal unless I accidentally skipped over it, so if you have a link to the post, do something positive and put it up. FORUMS ARE THERE SO PEOPLE CAN ASK QUESTIONS. Thanks.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
You know, you posted a snotty reply in my other thread too. YES I read the sticky and I didn't see the dash removal unless I accidentally skipped over it, so if you have a link to the post, do something positive and put it up. FORUMS ARE THERE SO PEOPLE CAN ASK QUESTIONS. Thanks.

Heehe. Hawg= snotty

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

No... I posted a reply to your other post stating that the threads are old because there hasn't been anything new happen.

Here is your dash removal pdf that doesn't exist. There.. I did something positive. Ass quit hurting now?

Oh... and just so there is absolutely no misunderstanding what so ever.. yes, forums are for knowledge sharing, and asking questions. But they are also a resource bank and in many cases the knowledge you are seeking already exists and all that is necessary is to put forth approximately the same amount of effort to look for it as it took to ask and expect to be spoon fed. And that is me being nice... You haven't heard me be snotty yet.

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
OK STILL no one has answered my questions. The .pdf that you posted doesn't even come close to answering anything that I asked. The picture doesn't differentiate anything about the upper pad. READ my questions and find the answer using the search if it's so easy because if it was I wouldn't have started this thread!!!!!! OK let me try this again. For anyone who has removed their upper dash pad due to it squeaking, was it an easy job or does the whole dash have to come out?

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
I think it's even MORE funny that this guy asked the same thing I did: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1193&highlight=dash+removal
and you guys linked him to the same thread that you linked me to and he said the same thing that I did:
"Thanks! All though the diagram really didn't tell me how to remove anything there is a lot of other useful info on there. I hate to assume but I'm guessing the a pillar just pops out? Bookmarked!!!"

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IMO the upper dash will not need to be removed to fix your issue. if you take out the front panels you'll be able to get in under the top part to eliminate the squeak.

The circled part below?

dashb.jpg

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
yes the circled part is the part that I would like to get under. It seems like to me it clips in somewhere near the defroster vents but thats why I asked the question. Picture pre-87 fox and how the dash pad lifts off after removing screws. Is the part circled molded into the rest of the dash or will it lift off seperately?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That part is a really hard piece to remove. I know Alan @ SOS has some exerpience with it as they were doing R&D for for the dash mounted triple pod they make.

I dont recall where I've seen the details of removing that part... however I do recall its a big ass job

maybe this post will help some... not a answer tho...
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=307517&postcount=14

Last edited:

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
i had lots of sounds from the dash. I bought a window visor thing from autozone for 10$ and every time I stop in the sun i put it on. i havent heard a thing since.

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
i had lots of sounds from the dash. I bought a window visor thing from autozone for 10$ and every time I stop in the sun i put it on. i havent heard a thing since.

Yeah see I thought that too but even if I am parked in the shade, once I get rollin on a hot day it ends up doing it in the middle of the drive. Damnit.

SlideWRX

Reaction score

nitrod86gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'll bet it's molded as part of the superstructure of the dash, and might not come off individually. However, These two pdfs show removing the passenger side airbag, and the instrument cluster, which should allow access to where you need.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=538&d=1177889898
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=553&d=1177890509

The first post is drivers side airbag but I already saw the passenger side removal in the service manual sticky.

Back