Upper Strut Mount

StageMe

Reaction score
Has anyone changed these out? If so how bad of a job was it? Also what all was required to change? Any info would be greatly appreciated

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
on a 2005+ Mustang? Not too hard.

You'll need:

Rent/Buy External Spring Compressor (~$40 Autozone/Kragens to Rent)
New Strut Mounts
Torque Wrench (capable of 150ft/lbs)
Hand tools (ie 1/2" drive with metric set, 3/8" drive...)

When I changed out my upper strut mounts for some J&M Camber Plates I believe it was a matter of taking off 8 attatchments: 2 at the knuckle (connecting spindle to strut), 4 for the strut-mount-to-body screws, 1 for the brake line on the strut, and 1 for the sway bar link. Once the knuckle bolts are removed you just support the spindle with some blocks, and then it's just a matter of removing the strut-mount-to-body screws and dropping the strut out.

Once out, use the spring compressor to compress the spring enough to take tension off the upper strut mount. Then you removed the piston nut on top of the strut mount, replace the strut mount, and put everything back together.

Here's a link to show you how to put camber plates on (same idea). Use the torques provided:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-4bolt-caster-camber-plate-05-09-install.html

Have fun!

StageMe

Reaction score
Thanks man I appreciate it... Doesnt sound bad at all I am going to get my new strut mounts on order and take care of them

StageMe

Reaction score
Yeah Im getting new wheels and tires anyway so I thought I would do them both at the same time.

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
Realignment afterward required?

Unless you change the geometry of the cars suspension (ie. lowering), you should not need a realignment. The front ends on these cars are fixed from the factory, and no alignment is needed unless you damage something, or change the stock ride height. But, of course... it is always good to just throw it on a rack and have it checked. Most alignment/tire shops wil do that for free.

And if you do decide to lower it, you will need a set of camber adjustment bolts from RealSpeed, or BMR, or a set of caster/camber plates from Maximum Motorsports, or J&M to bring the car back into camber and caster spec.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back