V8 Swap Cost

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you have the time, do it. It is your car and if you enjoy working on it, why not?
Cars in general are not a sound financial decision in any which way, shape, or form so do what you want to, that is part of being an enthusiast.
Why not turn an undesireable vehicle like a V6 mustang into something cool? Everything should be straight forward and it is just a case of swapping parts, it is not like you need a fab shop to pull this off.

forum member
Reaction score
There is some good advice here but I will add, you need new friends.

973086d1442267798-the-long-awaited-odurandurina-s-968-ls7-dyno-11998943_10203949119603259_6408673187180980998_n.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I know you get attached to cars, but a V8 swap is just a dumb, expensive idea. Keep the 4.0 as a daily driver and buy a GT.

Really? I have no regrets doing this swap. Sure there were a few bugs to be worked out, but they were far less than expected. I have the satisfaction of tracking a car I built, AND get to daily drive it.
Swap the damn thing if that is what you want to do!

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I think after all is said and done, a wreck will cost 2k. Then it’s a simple (relatively)process of moving things over.

A V8 swap (in your case it's a multi-system swap) is definitely a lot easier if you have a totaled but complete car as a parts donor. Not only would you have all the parts you'd need, but you'd also be able to see how everything fits together. You could even use the opportunity to add some aftermarket upgrades.
I'd start with stripping out the interior of the V6 and swapping in components from the GT, especially the all important wiring harnesses. Work methodically by logging every component that you remove and the order that you remove them. This will save you a lot of time when it comes to reassembly because you won't be scratching your head trying to figure out what goes in next.
As you remove V6 components that you're not going to reuse, you can clean them up and start selling them to recoup some cash. A lot of emphasis is placed on the financial cost of a swap project but your biggest cost is going to be time. Unless you have plenty of it and are prepared to sacrifice evenings and weekends, think carefully whether you really want to go down that road. Many projects don't reach completion because either life gets in the way, money runs out, health problems rear their ugly head, or the marriage breaks down.

Vandal

Reaction score
I wish I had friends that had motors to throw away. I did give my friend a 302 if built up for my Jeep. Work had me moving and I owed him for much more than the motor was worth.

Is the interior of the gt that much better? I can see the door speakers being a plus along with power seats.

From past experience the rear axle swap is easy, I’ve done both axles in my TJ and much more fab work was required for those. May regear the rear end while it’s out. I’ve also done that a time or two. Then it’s a motor swap and bolt up. Different exhaust and rear bumper. Some wiring and such. I’ve found 1 with same paint color. Damage doesn’t look too bad.

The work I’ve done on my V6 is a full detail, gt500 seats, and some tires. But it’s already got the spoiler delete and it’s mine. A comparable condition gt is 8-10k. Also I can do this with my kids that need to learn how to turn a wrench. :)

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
If your v6 car is PERFECT I would get a wrecked COMPLETE copart GT for swap but ONLY if you are planning to upgrade the components before the swap.

If the car is... meh.... I would sell and get a v8 car.

Vandal

Reaction score
It’s a solid car. Good interior and chassis.

Are the stock GT transmissions good or would a swap be something to plan for?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The stock 5R55 auto is not a great transmission. It is okay for N/A combinations and can be quite quick at the dragstrip but isn't known for its durability.

The manual TR3650 isn't the best shifting manual transmission but has been pretty durable for a gearbox rated for 375 ft/lbs of torque. It can handle a power adder on a stock motor with no problems. The weakest point is the 10 spline input shaft and the body mounted shifter makes it tough to shift at high RPMs.

The TR6060 from the GT500 is a huge upgrade, it shifts smoothly and can handle double the power of a TR3650.

For automatics, the 6R80 from the 2011 + mustangs is an awesome unit as well.

Vandal

Reaction score
The stock 5R55 auto is not a great transmission. It is okay for N/A combinations and can be quite quick at the dragstrip but isn't known for its durability.

The manual TR3650 isn't the best shifting manual transmission but has been pretty durable for a gearbox rated for 375 ft/lbs of torque. It can handle a power adder on a stock motor with no problems. The weakest point is the 10 spline input shaft and the body mounted shifter makes it tough to shift at high RPMs.

The TR6060 from the GT500 is a huge upgrade, it shifts smoothly and can handle double the power of a TR3650.

For automatics, the 6R80 from the 2011 + mustangs is an awesome unit as well.

Assuming these all bolt up to a 4.6. I’ll keep an eye out for a TR6060. Thank you!

Vandal

Reaction score
3e452b63757c9ad50fe6d075067ee6d0.jpg

Not perfect, but that’s the body style that I like.

What I’m seeing for V8 swap the 4.6 can be done for less than the purchase price of a coyote donor. Also the coyote with an automatic is desirable but a lot more trouble/money to get it working in the s197. The 4.6 is less engine, but that’s still more than I’ve needed so far. Should be fun.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The 4.6 is less engine than the Coyote but you can use the opportunity to add upgrades such as a CAI, charge motion delete plates, underdrive pulleys, and long tube headers while the engine is still on the stand. A 320rwhp engine in a 3500lb car is still a lot of fun trust me.

Vandal

Reaction score
The 4.6 is less engine than the Coyote but you can use the opportunity to add upgrades such as a CAI, charge motion delete plates, underdrive pulleys, and long tube headers while the engine is still on the stand. A 320rwhp engine in a 3500lb car is still a lot of fun trust me.

That’s my thought as well. Easy swap and power to be added while doing the swap.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back