VMP TVS install (pics)

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
I figured that there would be no better way to start the new year than installing my new VMP TVS blower. Snapped a few pics with my cell phone along the way.....

Here's what I started with.....
start.jpg

First step is to remove the CAI, throttle body and elbow on the blower. Also slip the blower belt off
stockblower.jpg

Then disconnect the vac lines on the back of the blower, EGR, and remove the 4 bolts on the fuel rail to get it out of the way, and finally the 10 bolts that hold the blower down. Then simply lift the blower off the engine
intercooler.jpg

Top view of the stock blower and the TVS blower
StockvsTVS.jpg

Here is the bottom view of the stock blower on the left and the TVS on the right. There are 2 dowel pins in the bottom of the stock blower you will want to transfer to the TVS.
blowerbottom.jpg

Then, simply set the new blower back in place of the stock unit. Bolt it down, hook up the EGR and vac lines on the rear, and reinstall the belt.
TVSinstalled.jpg

I know that some of you that have never attempted a blower swap before are probably saying "NO WAY its that simple". Well, before today, I had never done a blower swap either.... I had a friend of mine helping me, and we are both fairly good turning wrenches (on all my cars and on his 1600HP turbo monster). From start to finish, the whole process took about an hour, and that was working at a pretty slack pace. It was incredibly simple and straight forward, almost like Ford KNEW that people were going to be doing this lol.

Anyway, I cant say enough about the fit & finish of the VMP unit. Absolutely perfect... It slides right into place with absolutely ZERO modifications, which is one of the reasons I selected the VMP TVS in the first place. I dont want to mess with changing motor mounts, clearance issues on the firewall, etc... Nice job VMP!! Now the next step will be to get the injectors modified, and bolt up the new ported elbow TB and JLT Big Air CAI, then head to the dyno, and finally go the track.

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
Thanks man. Yeah, VMP has been a great company to deal with. Very helpful in the selection of the parts I needed to support the blower. Cant say enough good things about them.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Are you planning on upgrading the H/E and/or reservoir, or anything else with the TVS?

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
Are you planning on upgrading the H/E and/or reservoir, or anything else with the TVS?

I already have the dual fan AFCO Heat Exchanger, and I recently added the bigger Canton aluminum reservoir. I will be sending the stock injectors to VMP tomorrow to get them modified to flow 72 lbs/hr. When they ship them back to me, I will also be installing the port matched elbow (which comes with the blower), Ford Racing twin 65mm TB, and the 127mm JLT Big Air CAI. I am hopeful it will make in the neighborhood of 700rwhp with the 10% lower and O/R exhaust already on the car.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
If you're hoping to be in the neighborhood of 700rwhp, better look at getting a Kenne Belle dual boost-a-pump as well. On the dyno my car put down 683rwhp, because it started running lean above 5,600rpm. After the BAP I running north of 700.

Also, and this is in NO way against VMP (good company), but Ford/Eaton is responsible for the fit and finish of the TVS. VMP added a cnc port job and swapped the nose assembly. I have the Whipple 2.9L on my car, and there were ZERO fitment issues with it either! No firewall modification, and did not have to lower the engine...and it is also offered by Ford. I'm not trying to be a advocate for Whipple, I'm just trying to provide accurate information!

In all honesty, I would be more concerned with modifying my injectors than swapping engine mounts. Correctly lowering the engine will also lower the car's center of gravity, improving handling and reducing body roll. But the idea of having someone take a drill to my injectors doesn't sit well with me. They feed blood to your engine... I opted to buy a set of injectors that we're designed and created specifically to flow 72lbs and fit the GT500. They were more expensive, but also gave me more piece of mind.

Last edited:

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
If you're hoping to be in the neighborhood of 700rwhp, better look at getting a Kenne Belle dual boost-a-pump as well. On the dyno my car put down 683rwhp, because it started running lean above 5,600rpm. After the BAP I running north of 700.

Also, and this is in NO way against VMP (good company), but Ford/Eaton is responsible for the fit and finish of the TVS. VMP added a cnc port job and swapped the nose assembly. I have the Whipple 2.9L on my car, and there were ZERO fitment issues with it either! No firewall modification, and did not have to lower the engine...and it is also offered by Ford. I'm not trying to be a advocate for Whipple, I'm just trying to provide accurate information!

In all honesty, I would be more concerned with modifying my injectors than swapping engine mounts. Correctly lowering the engine will also lower the car's center of gravity, improving handling and reducing body roll. But the idea of having someone take a drill to my injectors doesn't sit well with me. They feed blood to your engine... I opted to buy a set of injectors that we're designed and created specifically to flow 72lbs and fit the GT500. They were more expensive, but also gave me more piece of mind.

Thats why I am planning on doing a dyno session and some data logging before I see any track action. Wanna make sure the fuel delivery is up to par, and see what the A/F ratio is to ensure the tune is spot on.

I looked at all the different choices for blowers, and considered each. I was really on the fence between a Whipple and the VMP TVS.. what pushed me toward the TVS was the rather stock appearance, and the impressive torque numbers they make down low. The price was just an extra bonus, and the interchangable pulley system will also be a plus (although I have never changed the pulley on a Whipple so I couldn't tell you how long it takes). I think that both are great blowers, but for what I wanted to do I think the VMP TVS was just the better choice for my car.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
I hear you! Wasnt trying to bash VMP in any way...I think they did an awesome job with the TVS. Like you, I looked at numerous different options before purchasing. When I purchased the Whipple, VMP didn't have their TVS on the market yet. My choice was between Whipple ($3,500), KB ($4,500+), or FRPP TVS ($4,995!!). The Whipple had the best bang-for-the-buck at the time... As for low end torque...I currently have over 550rwtq by 2250rpm.... :D

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
I hear you! Wasnt trying to bash VMP in any way...I think they did an awesome job with the TVS. Like you, I looked at numerous different options before purchasing. When I purchased the Whipple, VMP didn't have their TVS on the market yet. My choice was between Whipple ($3,500), KB ($4,500+), or FRPP TVS ($4,995!!). The Whipple had the best bang-for-the-buck at the time... As for low end torque...I currently have over 550rwtq by 2250rpm.... :D

Your car definately makes some great power. What are the other mods that you have done in support of the blower other than the injectors and KB boost-a-pump?

Congrats VMP is a great company how much power you going for now?

I am hoping to make a touch over 700hp at the rear wheels, but that will remain to be seen until it goes to the dyno. It all depends on how aggressive the tune would have to be, and I don't want to get "greedy" and end up hurting the engine just for the sake of making a number. Currently the car made 553rwhp with the stock blower, so I am totally confident that 650+ will be easily accomplished.... But 700 would be REALLY nice

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have VMP's elbow too right?

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
Yep. It comes with the blower as a package. The elbow and three different pulleys (2.5" pictured, 2.75", & 3").

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
It doesn't take much to support just the blower....I have a L&M twin 66mm TB, Whipple CAI, 72lb injectors, and KB dual BAP...also have an aluminum DS. Read a lot of debate on what the stock DS could or couldn't handle, but in the end I figured it would be a good investment. A few weeks after getting everything on a member of the local mustang club had his car in our local (preferred) performance shop getting his tranny swapped...long story short, he had to get a different DS, so I got his for $400.

I also have a lot of other upgrades to help overall efficiency as well. I have the afco dual fan HE, larger reservoirs, and JLT oil catch cans. <- I noticed I was getting large amounts of oil in the SC! Overall though, it took me about a year from installing the SC to putting on the DS. My job doesn't pay enough to get everything at once.

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
It doesn't take much to support just the blower....I have a L&M twin 66mm TB, Whipple CAI, 72lb injectors, and KB dual BAP...also have an aluminum DS. Read a lot of debate on what the stock DS could or couldn't handle, but in the end I figured it would be a good investment. A few weeks after getting everything on a member of the local mustang club had his car in our local (preferred) performance shop getting his tranny swapped...long story short, he had to get a different DS, so I got his for $400.

I also have a lot of other upgrades to help overall efficiency as well. I have the afco dual fan HE, larger reservoirs, and JLT oil catch cans. <- I noticed I was getting large amounts of oil in the SC! Overall though, it took me about a year from installing the SC to putting on the DS. My job doesn't pay enough to get everything at once.

You sound like you are in the same boat I'm in. Just doing a little bit at a time. I have done the dual fan H/E, 10% lower, and bigger reservoir over the past year all in preparation for the blower. Now I have finally scraped up enough to do the blower/TB/injectors/CAI, the driveshaft will be next on my list. Only thing that sucks is I'm too scared to take it to the track and beat on it till I get it put in. I guess patience is indeed a virtue... I just wish it was a virtue I had more of:mad2:

iRoush

Roush God
Reaction score
Awesome!!! Looks like everyone around me are getting better blowers. I thought I was cool with a snakebite blower. Lmao!!!

Yea, you will need the dual BAP. Buddy of mine (Boozshey) was maxing his pumps. The BAP has him running good again!

Sent from my iPhone using TappyTalk while driving at 125MPH. Please excuse any typos.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Are you guys having issues getting it to idle properly with the L&M TB?

I know Lund is not a fan of them and has been recommending FRPP TB's lately.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back