What 3V motor do I have

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have black COP boots in my 07. They changed them in mid 07 which is the 08 model year.

My 08 came with the older style spark plug heads and black boots. It was made in late 2007. When I changed to the FRPP heads with the new spark plugs all that was required cop wise was to change the boots to the brown ones.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ford changed the head and spark plug design in mid to late 2008, not 2007.. Prior to Nov 2008, all 08 models still had the black COP boots with the old style heads/plugs..

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Ford changed the head and spark plug design in mid to late 2008, not 2007.. Prior to Nov 2008, all 08 models still had the black COP boots with the old style heads/plugs..

It was changed during the 2008 model year but it happened in late 2007. I missed it by 3 weeks in the build date. Of course I had no idea when I bought the car.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
It was changed during the 2008 model year but it happened in late 2007. I missed it by 3 weeks in the build date. Of course I had no idea when I bought the car.

From my understanding, the early/mid 2008 models still had the black COP boots with the old style heads/spark plugs.. The late 2008 models beginning in either October or November came with the brown COP boots with the revised heads/spark plugs :shrug:

Bruce ! Forgot to mention.. Check your door tag for build date, that'll confirm when Ford switched over to the new heads/plugs with brown COP boots..

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
From my understanding, the early/mid 2008 models still had the black COP boots with the old style heads/spark plugs.. The late 2008 models beginning in either October or November came with the brown COP boots with the revised heads/spark plugs :shrug:

Bruce ! Forgot to mention.. Check your door tag for build date, that'll confirm when Ford switched over to the new heads/plugs with brown COP boots..

Absolutely correct. The changeover for the 2008 model year happened in late 2007. Mine was made in Sept 2007 (it's a 2008) and it came with black boots and the earlier spark plug design. It's since had cnc heads with the newer style of plug put on during a motor build.

babyivan

Reaction score
Interesting thread. This is my first post as a new member, woohoo.

Can I ask, the later revised heads are better? I tried googling this, but nothing came up. My only guess is that it has something to do with the lousy amount of threads they have and spitting out plugs if not torqued correctly (I had an 06 Vic previously).

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The heads are not better, the plug design is, they don't get "spit out" they get stuck

babyivan

Reaction score
The heads are not better, the plug design is, they don't get "spit out" they get stuck

Ah, I see. That would be awful to get a plug stuck.

Edit: just read the 7 page sticky on this (late to the game I know). I just bought my car, I hope the plugs were changed at some point. I will order the Lisle tool before I even attempt a plug change.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. The changeover for the 2008 model year happened in late 2007. Mine was made in Sept 2007 (it's a 2008) and it came with black boots and the earlier spark plug design. It's since had cnc heads with the newer style of plug put on during a motor build.

Damn ! So you missed the revised head and plug design by just 2 months.. Bet you were glad when you finally got rid of them for the cnc heads and revised 12mm one piece plugs lol. I should pretty much do the same as well :)

Interesting thread. This is my first post as a new member, woohoo.

Can I ask, the later revised heads are better? I tried googling this, but nothing came up. My only guess is that it has something to do with the lousy amount of threads they have and spitting out plugs if not torqued correctly (I had an 06 Vic previously).

First ! Welcome aboard.. As mentioned, it's not so much the revised heads are that much better, but it was the dreaded 16mm high-threaded 2 piece design spark plugs that were so inferior.. The plugs were well known for breaking inside the heads due from carbon build up above the ground strap section.. Ford had so many problems with the design that a TSB was issued to dealerships for extracting and installation procedures until they finally revised the spark plug and head design for the 2008 model year..

You sure got that right.. So much for Ford's better idea :hmmm:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back