What cam is best?

Stang 23

forum member
Reaction score
My car has about every bolt on and I'm looking to swap out the stock camshafts. I've been looking at comps 127300 cam but i kinda would like a little more lope than what the 127300's produce. I really like the sound of the Detroit rockers and have seen that they produce great horsepower. I'm not looking for a radical cam with a huge lope just something that sounds like the Detroit rockers and makes great horsepower. I'm also going to be putting in 4.10's when I have the cams done. So what do you guys think would be best for this setup?

FAST3V

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
The powerful cams arent necessarily going to be the lopey ones..hot rods dont give much power gains...
you dont want to over cam it either...i would go with a 127200, or 127300.
The tune can be adjusted to make the car idle a little lower so the cam is easily heard..but those will give you good power gains for your app

Stang 23

forum member
Reaction score
I've heard too many bad things about hot rods and they don't produce enough power. I love the 127300's. I've just been debating on if i want a little more lope than that like the detroit rockers have or other cams. Whats the difference between a cam that requires retainers and springs vs. a cam like the detroit rockers that doesn't? I know its higher lift but with cams that require springs and retainers will they produce more hp than the cams that don't require the springs and retainers?

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but if an spring required cam didnt make any more power than an NSR cam why would people get them...

Yes, you'll make more power with a SPR cam, and with the spring replacements be able to rev higher as well.

NYY07

Reaction score
:2cents: if you want power and lope your going to have to go agressive if you want a comp cam it would need to be a 127500 if your willing to add springs for a 127300 why not do phaser limiters and get the most power and sound just a thought your spending money on cams anyway.. bbr has a good stage 2 with lope thats suppose to make good power throughout the curve or like some one mentioned earlier do a custom grind and tell them what your looking for in a cam.
a detroit rocker will add some power and a thumper may add some up top but not as much as the no lope 127300 or the more agressive cams I mentioned above.

Shannon

Last edited:

forum member
Reaction score
I've had bbr stage 1 cams, 127200 and 127100 bbr was the best IMO

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll let you know more about BBR stage 1's when I put the 2nd set in....

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car has about every bolt on and I'm looking to swap out the stock camshafts. I've been looking at comps 127300 cam but i kinda would like a little more lope than what the 127300's produce. I really like the sound of the Detroit rockers and have seen that they produce great horsepower. I'm not looking for a radical cam with a huge lope just something that sounds like the Detroit rockers and makes great horsepower. I'm also going to be putting in 4.10's when I have the cams done. So what do you guys think would be best for this setup?

I had some Comp Cams 127450 cams for around 7 months, first 4 months were N/A. I really liked them, they had a nice mild lope and really good power. I went from 13.5 with stock cams at the strip to 13.3 with the 127450 cams both N/A at the time (13.5 was ~95 degrees and the 13.3 was 102!).

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
127500 or 127600 cams. They make great power and they produce a nice lope at idle.

The BBR cams I don't believe make as much power as the 127500 cams do but they have a nice lope to them. If you want the most HP and a nice lope with it I would say one of the above two.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
[hopefully this is knowledge that has not been put out before on a cam thread]

there are a lot of people out there that buy the cam just for the sound. so some companies make that.

depending on your setup, mostly cr, desired RPM range, and supporting mods a cam with less duration/LSA [less lope] may actuall net you more power.

increasing duration and decreasing LSA decreases your dynamic compression. but high cr and high rpm motors see a power increas becouse of the flow.

however stock or lower cr motors that operate at lower rpms can actually make MORE power with cams that have comparably less duration and overlap then cams like hot rods or mutha thumpers.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I picked up between 30-40 with BBR stage 1's with with long tubes.

Stang 23

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input so far. Right now I'm looking at either BBR stage 1 or 2 cams or comp cams 127300, 127500, or maybe even 127600. I don't want a cam that doesn't require springs, retainers, or limiters because i want that higher rev. I'm going to talk to my tuner as well and see what he thinks would be best.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back