what did you pay to get your gears installed?

QWIKFIX

forum member
Reaction score
I had a quote from TMS from last summer for on the high side 4.5 hours, approx $380 for labor...depending on whether or not they would need to install a new bearing kit.

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
i never though about ford. i knew a few guys at two different local ford dealers too. hmm...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
i never though about ford. i knew a few guys at two different local ford dealers too. hmm...

A local Ford dealership in Snohomish quoted me $1200! The guy couldn't even look me in the eye when the words came out "plus tax".

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it's about a 3-4 hour job for the labor. depends on local shop rates.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
first car I had a friend of my fathers do it for $120.00

this car I paid 250 to do it to help out the sponsor of my Racing series

QWIKFIX

forum member
Reaction score
TMS usually charges $325.00-$400.00. Brian said he will install them for $225.00 + fluids.

Little off topic but...any opinions on needing a bearing kit when replacing the ring and pinion? Is it necessary? Mine just has a tick over 30K miles. Does having a stick rather than an auto put more "strain" on the rear end? Thanks!

martinr69

Reaction score
I got my cams and gears installed for $500.. so you figure $250 each and it was a local mechanic who is on a mustang forum

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Little off topic but...any opinions on needing a bearing kit when replacing the ring and pinion? Is it necessary? Mine just has a tick over 30K miles. Does having a stick rather than an auto put more "strain" on the rear end? Thanks!

at 30K miles, might as well replace them while eveything is out if your tearing into it anyways. some installers say always new bearings when you pull stuff out. I follow that

2010Elanore

forum member
Reaction score
Paid $250 plus fluids...definitely get a bearing kit. I know ford wont do it without a new pinion bearing (at least that is what they told me, after they quoted me $600).

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I replace the pinion bearings but the carrier bearings hold up pretty well. If it wasn't noisy before and there's no evidence of a problem, I just slap the old bearings back in. Plus it's easy to change the carrier bearings if they do go.
However, If I was having a shop do it, I'd spring for all new bearings so that way there is some recourse if it is noisy after the install. Otherwise, they'll blame the bearing that you didn't replace.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just put in a Trutrac and did all new bearings.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't do it my self. Sorry I was not clear. I had a shop do it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back