What have you done to your mustang today?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
You were better off not starting the car at all if you’re just going to let it idle for 30+ min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Would you care to provide a reason for that ? IIRC if you don't start the car every so often while it's in storage, engine, oil and tranny seals can end up dry rotting from just sitting..

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Doubt 30min of just idling was enough to burn up all the condensation on the oil.

Why would the seals dry up? How long are you storing it for?

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Installed a 2012 Gt Steering wheel on my 06 GT. Managed to get all the buttons working as well. :D

n0n4gcvn.4l0.jpg
Hey man that steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car!!! Must of taken it in selfie mode.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
While surfing local Craigslist, came across a set of Borla Atak axle-back pipes and Raxiom Gen-7 taillights...got them both for $500 (total), but waiting for spring to install. My Bullitt hibernates from Nov to ~March. Can't wait to try these out & see how much of a difference they are from my FR-500-S pipes & Gen-5 tails...cheers!

View attachment 66138

I got the S550 tails (are those gen 7?) last year on AM's Black Friday sale, mine are the smoked clear ones though. I initially wasn't sure I'd like them but the smoked look works, and they look awesome at night.

one thing I'd recommend is covering those awful red reflectors with some tint. Makes the lights look better overall, and light bleeds through them at night so it helps make that less obvious too.

UY8SNTR.jpg

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Doubt 30min of just idling was enough to burn up all the condensation on the oil.

Why would the seals dry up? How long are you storing it for?

So why is it better to not start up the car at all and idle for 30-40 min while in winter storage ? As for my concerns over the seals drying up, I store it for 3 months or however long winter sticks around..

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I can explain all the reasons why but I may be completely wrong so I'll keep my own opinions aside as I can't confirm they are facts lol.

I put it away for the winter as well but still take it out on those rare fair days of winter. But even then I don't let it warm up "idling" for more than 10 minutes and just take for a quick 30-40 min drive.

Oil takes longer to get up to temp than water (obviously) and not sure if idling the car even brings up the oil up to temp to even burn off condensation/moisture it collected from sitting around.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I can explain all the reasons why but I may be completely wrong so I'll keep my own opinions aside as I can't confirm they are facts lol.

I put it away for the winter as well but still take it out on those rare fair days of winter. But even then I don't let it warm up "idling" for more than 10 minutes and just take for a quick 30-40 min drive.

Oil takes longer to get up to temp than water (obviously) and not sure if idling the car even brings up the oil up to temp to even burn off condensation/moisture it collected from sitting around.

What you just posted seems to make a lot of sense, as I didn't realize that just letting a car run at idle for 30 perhaps even up to 40 min just isn't long enough to bring oil up to operating temps in order to burn off condensation/moisture it collects while sitting around in storage.. It would also appear that seals aren't going to end up drying out or dry rotting from just sitting 3-4 months without being started or driven.. In the meantime, thanks for bringing me up to speed as I found your feedback as very valuable and useful to say the very least :waytogo:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
What you just posted seems to make a lot of sense, as I didn't realize that just letting a car run at idle for 30 perhaps even up to 40 min just isn't long enough to bring oil up to operating temps in order to burn off condensation/moisture it collects while sitting around in storage.. It would also appear that seals aren't going to end up drying out or dry rotting from just sitting 3-4 months without being started or driven.. In the meantime, thanks for bringing me up to speed as I found your feedback as very valuable and useful to say the very least :waytogo:

Glad I was of some insight! As far as the seals go, I really wouldn't worry about them drying up, look at Wayne Carini, he starts up cars that have been in a barn for thousands of year and he never worries about gaskets and seals drying up LOL

For the battery, just disconnect it to prevent any drainage or hook it up to a tender. Mine isn't garaged indoor just back yard with a cover and got those solar tenders and been working great. When I check with a volt meter even during cloudy days it read 13+ Volts!

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Glad I was of some insight! As far as the seals go, I really wouldn't worry about them drying up, look at Wayne Carini, he starts up cars that have been in a barn for thousands of year and he never worries about gaskets and seals drying up LOL

For the battery, just disconnect it to prevent any drainage or hook it up to a tender. Mine isn't garaged indoor just back yard with a cover and got those solar tenders and been working great. When I check with a volt meter even during cloudy days it read 13+ Volts!

I always keep my battery connected to a tender even when it's not in storage during non winter months.. This way I know the battery is always fully charged at all times whenever it's not in usage.. The tender also extends the battery's life expectancy in the process as well.. Needless to say, I'll no longer have any worries about seals and gaskets drying up just from sitting in the garage while in storage during the winter lol. It's also very good to know just how well your solar tenders have been working out with such great success in both cloudy and non cloudy conditions.. Therefore just from confirming your results, it appears these solar tenders actually really do work.. Awesome :waytogo:

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
I got the S550 tails (are those gen 7?) last year on AM's Black Friday sale, mine are the smoked clear ones though. I initially wasn't sure I'd like them but the smoked look works, and they look awesome at night.

one thing I'd recommend is covering those awful red reflectors with some tint. Makes the lights look better overall, and light bleeds through them at night so it helps make that less obvious too.

UY8SNTR.jpg

Nice...thanks for the pic and I'm definitely planning to tint the lenses this winter. Looks great in the dark!

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just realized I don't have one good picture of the lights during the daytime, I'll have to get one for you so you can see what a difference the tint over the reflectors makes in appearance.

And yes- they look awesome at night. Raxiom did a nice job with these lights, except for those damn reflectors.
rXQ7mL2.jpg

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Haha
Was converted to right hand drive when imported into NZ in 2006. :)

I wouldn't be able to shift gears with my left hand if I tried. That and driving on the left side of the road while visiting relatives in the UK had me totally confused. I was an accident waiting to happen.

Paulluap

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to shift gears with my left hand if I tried. That and driving on the left side of the road while visiting relatives in the UK had me totally confused. I was an accident waiting to happen.

I'm the same, haven't been to the US yet. When I do, will try and remember to go the other way around the roundabout. o_O :D

travelers

Reaction score
So why is it better to not start up the car at all and idle for 30-40 min while in winter storage ? As for my concerns over the seals drying up, I store it for 3 months or however long winter sticks around..

The old rope and leather seals of old would dry out. The seals of today don't have that problem. Mine sits in storage form Dec to some time in March. Never had a problem yet. I too take mine out on a nice day for a couple hours, but it gets completely warmed up.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The old rope and leather seals of old would dry out. The seals of today don't have that problem. Mine sits in storage form Dec to some time in March. Never had a problem yet. I too take mine out on a nice day for a couple hours, but it gets completely warmed up.
Your post just settled a much heated debate on another forum.. In the meantime, thanks to both you and o2sys, you've put my mind at ease in which I no longer have to worry about seals drying out while sitting in storage :waytogo:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I'm the same, haven't been to the US yet. When I do, will try and remember to go the other way around the roundabout. o_O :D

LOL. The roundabouts I saw at my uncles patch, in northern UK were huge things, like 1000' diameter. Locally, they installed the very 1st 3 x roundabouts aprx 15 miles north of me, by the airport. All 3 are tiny things, like 75' diameter. 2 of em are joined together, like a figure 8. Stupidest setup you have ever seen. 9 accidents in the 1st week it opened. And 4 x side roads branching off of each round about. Ill conceived..not engineered. The last time we had a round about was the late 1940's and mid 50's...downtown, where 5 x major roads converged. Folks didn't know how to use it..they ripped it out, and went to a multi intersection traffic light set up. Round abouts here are all CCW of course.

An Aussie naval officer is over here in western canada on some training program. Gets off the plane and immediately rents a bmw. 45 mins later, he crashes into the side of my bro-in law, sister, and mum.

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
LOL. The roundabouts I saw at my uncles patch, in northern UK were huge things, like 1000' diameter. Locally, they installed the very 1st 3 x roundabouts aprx 15 miles north of me, by the airport. All 3 are tiny things, like 75' diameter. 2 of em are joined together, like a figure 8. Stupidest setup you have ever seen. 9 accidents in the 1st week it opened. And 4 x side roads branching off of each round about. Ill conceived..not engineered. The last time we had a round about was the late 1940's and mid 50's...downtown, where 5 x major roads converged. Folks didn't know how to use it..they ripped it out, and went to a multi intersection traffic light set up. Round abouts here are all CCW of course.

An Aussie naval officer is over here in western canada on some training program. Gets off the plane and immediately rents a bmw. 45 mins later, he crashes into the side of my bro-in law, sister, and mum.

I remember it took me a few weeks to get the hang of driving on the wrong side of the road and round abouts for the first time. Little ones were ok the big ones with exit lanes are crazy. The do have some big ones in NJ now. I went back about 10 years ago and had to concentrate on which side I was on.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back