What Rear Shocks Should I Get?

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
I was wanting Bilsteins but american muscle has them as out of stock, only have 1 and so I laughed.

They said that the Tokico HP rear shocks are good and are the Koni STR.T shocks.

What do you guys think? I have 500+ rhwp and I have BMR relocation brackets, BMR LCA's non adjustable with poly bushings and a BMR panhard bar. Along with Nitto NT505's rear tires.

I dont really want adjustable shocks tho.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
search_it_noob.gif

9e22e8e0.gif

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
Tokico D specs along with BMR springs are what I have ..otherwise we have the same set up ..over 600 and I can hook up

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Tokico D specs along with BMR springs are what I have ..otherwise we have the same set up ..over 600 and I can hook up

Thanks for the help. I like the spec D's, what about the HP? I am looking for something somewhat stiff and non adjustable for now.

Also I forgot to add to my original question but, can stock rear shocks with over 120k on them sag? If so how much? The reason I ask is because I am getting a 295/45/18 tire as compared to my 285/40/18 and the sidewall goes up .74 inchs and all I have is about 3/4 to 7/8 inch of gap now, so the new tire will fill that and I hope new shocks will help raise the sag a little if there is any.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The shock controls damping, it does not affect ride height. The springs determine ride height.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I know that, but I mean can old shocks that are worn out beyond the brink sag a certain amount?

Yes. Shocks are gas charged and exert upward pressure on the vehicle frame/body. Once they leak out they no longer exert any upward (outward) pressure.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know that, but I mean can old shocks that are worn out beyond the brink sag a certain amount?

Think about that for a secound. If you put a hydraulic shock on with no internals, would it affect how high the spring supports the car? No.

The only thing that can sag (or lose ability to support the car as high as before) is the spring.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Ok thanks I appreciate the help. Do H&R Supersports sag? Is there any others that may have reported that?

The reason I ask is i currently have a 285/40/18 rear tire and have about 1 inch clearance from fender to top of tire.

I wanted to grab the Nitto NT05 tire, for the street not drag tire. It only comes in 294/45/18 which adds .74 of an inch to tire sidewall height.

Which is pretty darn close to the quarter panel. There is no tire store that offers this tire in 285/40/18.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Standing height won't make any difference in determining if a tire will rub. your concern should be where the tire is when the suspension is fully compressed (unless your name is Darren and you never drive your car).

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Ok thanks I appreciate the help. Do H&R Supersports sag? Is there any others that may have reported that?

The reason I ask is i currently have a 285/40/18 rear tire and have about 1 inch clearance from fender to top of tire.

I wanted to grab the Nitto NT05 tire, for the street not drag tire. It only comes in 294/45/18 which adds .74 of an inch to tire sidewall height.

Which is pretty darn close to the quarter panel. There is no tire store that offers this tire in 285/40/18.

Try searching the Interwebs.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...+nt05+285+40+18&sprefix=Nitto+nt05+28,aps,366

Nitto doesn't make a 285/40 street tire in NT05 series. You'll have to go 275/40 or 285/35 size.

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt05#size

Last edited:

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Standing height won't make any difference in determining if a tire will rub. your concern should be where the tire is when the suspension is fully compressed (unless your name is Darren and you never drive your car).

LMAO haha.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
What shocks are recommended between Bilstein, Tokico HP, Koni STR.T? I also have a chance at Lakewood Racing shocks but I want something good over bumps and daily driving as well.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
What shocks are recommended between Bilstein, Tokico HP, Koni STR.T? I also have a chance at Lakewood Racing shocks but I want something good over bumps and daily driving as well.

I think you'll find that the Konis have proven to be the most popular of the three you've mentioned. Second choice would be the Tokico.

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
We've had great luck with Koni's whether on the street/ strip or track. We have plenty of the str.t in stock. Let us know if we can help you out.

Jason

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
Bilsteins will provide the most dampening and comfort at that level of dampening. Basically, the Koni sports on full firm but with a less harsh ride. I must of got the last set of them yesterday. I did a massive interwebz search looking for comparisons between the Konis, Tokicos, and Bilsteins. What I was able to parse out after removing all the "I got these and they're great" response is what I stated above. The Tokicos seemed to be the ones that most people where moving away from, meaning lots of threads of people deciding they wanted more, be it performance or comfort. Konis where pretty popular, but with Terry's recommendation of the Bilsteins I was looking for a direct comparison of Koni Sports and the Bilstein. I was able to get the rear shocks on sale from American Muscle and the Front struts from AJAuto for a combined cost of less that Koni Sports, so I am pretty pleased.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back