What size skinny?

Bagel_Dog

forum member
Reaction score
I recently purchased some Hoosiers on racestars (27x11.5x15) and want some skinnys to go with them. What is the theory behind front tire hight? Should they be the same as the rears? Taller, shorter? Why or why not?

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I guess there's more to it than I know. But roll out is a consideration purple take into account. An internet search will explain. When I got mine I measured my front tire that was already there and then got something that fit.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
are you racing for fun or for ET/RT, brackets... etc??

street use or only strip?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
so for bracket racing you want a tire that will give you better RTs.

Bigger tire= slower reaction time. It will take longer to get out of the beams. Same with running a lower air pressure. It will take longer to raise the tire out of the beams(or roll out depending).

Smaller tire=quicker reaction time. Less roll out, less time to get out of the beams.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well it's all relative isn't it.

IMO 26" is a good size for our cars

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you need from your car...as stkjock already mentioned the tire size will play into your reaction time. When footbrake racing you want to set your car up so that you react when you see the bottom yellow bulb lite up so if you do that and are red all the time then you will want a taller front tire.

You can also accomplish slowing or quickening your reaction time up with the type of rear tire and pressure you run in them. Lower pressure will allow the tire to have more "give" and slow the reaction up but only a small amount.

Shock/suspension settings also play into this. It basically takes a lot of testing to figure out what works for you and your car.

I have been running the 26" MT radial skinnies on my car from the beginning but I don't footbrake. I run in super pro and use a trans-brake and delay box but I do make pressure changes when I run in 10.0 index where a delay box isn't allowed.

obsrt86

forum member
Reaction score
I went with a 28" skinny since I got them for stupid cheap. I've ran 28's radial skinnies in a 17" wheel and seem to work out fine. I was on them them when I ran my pb. This time I'll be running a 28" bias ply on a 15" wheel. We'll see how it goes.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I went with a 28" tall skinny. ( my rears are 27.5 " )
I have driven my 05 with different diameter fronts and rears and noticed that the abs brakes do not work as well with 26 inch fronts and 27.5 rears, and I want the abs feature because I sometimes get excited at the stripe and want to dump the other racer....lol

Plus, I like the way the 28's fill out the huge wheel wells in the front with stock springs. (it's a track only car)

Last edited:
Back