what to do..what to do - smog questions CA

luckychance

forum member
Reaction score
hate to ask this but anyone in the san diego to los angeles area help me with a few smog questions?

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I'm in Sacramento, not sure how I could help but ask go ahead and ask. But like weatherman said, best solution is to move.

luckychance

forum member
Reaction score
lol or wait 25 years until it gets tax exempt :(

i can get around the mods i have but smog tech needs access to the obd port which i have a tune installed and locks him out where he cant read it. is this something that can be changed via tune?

chair

forum member
Reaction score
whats the question? i live in LA area and know a little about smog.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
Except C.A.R.B. locked the original rolling 25 year exemption to 1975.

supposedly thats changing if it fails smog ect ect other stipulations. will be 30 years i believe not 25.

how modded is the car in question? if its just bolt ons or a tune issue i say return to stock or grt a better "economy" tune

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Emissions are required on anything 1975 and newer. In fact technically all the emissions equipment needs to still be on the vehicle of a 1975 model vehicle for visual purposes if stopped by authorities. Doesn't have to be working but does have to be there. California with the STAR program and rigorous emissions testing will never do a 25 year exemption again. Not with OBDII. There was some talk a few years ago about raising it to 85 and older as that is when computers and old OBDI stuff began but that got killed in legislation. Simply put with our cars anything that does not have a C.A.R.B Exemption Order is NOT legal for use on street legal vehicles. This includes cams, cai's, long tubes and catless mids etc. If you have a E.O number you are golden.

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
Emissions are required on anything 1975 and newer. In fact technically all the emissions equipment needs to still be on the vehicle of a 1975 model vehicle for visual purposes if stopped by authorities. Doesn't have to be working but does have to be there. California with the STAR program and rigorous emissions testing will never do a 25 year exemption again. Not with OBDII. There was some talk a few years ago about raising it to 85 and older as that is when computers and old OBDI stuff began but that got killed in legislation. Simply put with our cars anything that does not have a C.A.R.B Exemption Order is NOT legal for use on street legal vehicles. This includes cams, cai's, long tubes and catless mids etc. If you have a E.O number you are golden.

Fixed. Other than the bolded, this is about it. For example, the '73 Pinto project with '75 Galaxie engine doesn't need to worry about smog, but the Mustang does. I don't bother with really looking much at exhaust since we cannot touch the cats--so long tubes are verboten. Meaning the OEM tri-Y tubular headers are about as good as it gets on this car in this state.

With as much complaining about the super restrictive smog laws here, I remember the air quality in the '70's. As annoying as they are for building hot rods, they are working; the air is not brown everywhere in SoCal every day any more. Look at current pics of Shanghai & Beijing for what we'd be breathing without the annoyance.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
That is what i meant thanks claudermilk. The smog laws are based on the year of the vehicle. A 73 pinto with a 75 engine from a torino wouldn't matter because the vehicle it is going into is pre-smog. Now take my 05. If I wanted to swap in a new 5.0 from lets say a 2012 then i would have to smog my 05 as 2012 mustang and all of the same emissions requirements for the 2012 my 2005 would now have to have. Meaning that smog laws are not backwards in years compatible.

It is always better in ca to just find parts that are emissions legal. Honestly the best bang for buck in mods also yields the most power, superchargers. There are several manufactures' that have ca legal superchargers that are good to go as far as emissions goes.

Last edited:

luckychance

forum member
Reaction score
thanks guy for the help. so i was able to find an old tune that was unlocked and the smog guy was able to get access to the ecu. however, even after driving around for an hour the cats read not ready. i then remembered years back that one of my tooners disabled the rear cats when i started throwing rich codes. i thought he disabled them via the tune but it turns out the wire was cut so it doesnt read them. aside from that bs do i have to connect the o2 sensors in the rear or can they be shut off via the tune for the computer to acknowledge them. this seems to be the final hurdle..i hope

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^don't forget in CA there is also the visual inspection. Anything not factory has to have a CARB number. Otherwise you will fail. Unless you know the person who is performing the test.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
They have to be turned back on via the tune and or reconnected. The computer will tell if the downstream o2 sensors are deactivated and you wont pass. Unless you need it smogged at a STAR certified station the OBDII stuff takes 5 minutes. No tailpipe, no rollers just plug into the OBD port and start the car. Let it run while the dmv gets its info and you are done. Also psfracer is right. You need to pass the visual as well. So bring or have affixed the carb eo decals. I always bring a printout of what I have installed and the dmv eo number straight off their website to show the smog tech in addition to having the decals visible.

Last edited:

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
They have to be turned back on via the tune and or reconnected. The computer will tell if the downstream o2 sensors are deactivated and you wont pass. Unless you need it smogged at a STAR certified station the OBDII stuff takes 5 minutes. No tailpipe, no rollers just plug into the OBD port and start the car. Let it run while the dmv gets its info and you are done. Also psfracer is right. You need to pass the visual as well. So bring or have affixed the carb eo decals. I always bring a printout of what I have installed and the dmv eo number straight off their website to show the smog tech in addition to having the decals visible.

Fucking Cali....what a bunch of bullshit....

i'm sure my libtard state will get as bad soon, we are close already minus the carb stickers, etc.... :rolleyes:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back