Whats my redline??

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Right. I understand. Every site that list the differences list the crank damper as being a different unit than the GT. But maybe it's just talk.

I had to replace mine after my original one separated. As I said, same part number as the GT damper. This is not information gleaned from some web page, this is information obtained by bringing my spun damper to the Ford dealership parts department and purchasing an identical replacement.

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
Lito,
Yes, I want to stay in 4th on the long Sebring straights, I'm hitting 5th half way down.
Next time I will shift 3rd and 4th about 6200 ish,
Yes, 3650. Had the same issue in my old track car, 5th gear over drive is a killer.
Thanks.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
I had to replace mine after my original one separated. As I said, same part number as the GT damper. This is not information gleaned from some web page, this is information obtained by bringing my spun damper to the Ford dealership parts department and purchasing an identical replacement.

That good information. That's why the "maybe it's just talk" reference was implied. I don't subscribe to the if it's on the Internet it must be true theory :thumb:

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
That good information. That's why the "maybe it's just talk" reference was implied. I don't subscribe to the if it's on the Internet it must be true theory :thumb:
That's why you are here now though, this place has only fact, the bullshit gets called bullshit... Haha

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Currently have the ability to rev to 7k. CAI + Tune is all I've got done to the motor. I do my best to not rev it there all the time but I do have the ability to. Generally don't rev out my car that often either but I've been assured it's safe to do so.

As for why? Well... autocross is a different sport, much like road racing, in which "making power" isn't always as important as simply not having to shift on the straight. So long as it's making SOME power it isn't as big of a deal as shifting is.

Granted... 7k is a big excessive... current speed in 2nd gear is 77mph, will be 75mph with the 285's. About 65-67 is ideal, so I'm way over that! ;P

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'm trying to pick up a second or two and some mph on the straights.

Any opinions would be great? TIA,

More corner speed = more straight away speed and lower lap times.:thumb:

I highly doubt revving it a couple hundred RPM more will change your lap times.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I shift at 6800 in 1-2 and 2-3, for 3-4 I shift at 6500 or less.
I did this even before cams, years... no engine related issues :thumb:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I shift at 6800 in 1-2 and 2-3, for 3-4 I shift at 6500 or less.
I did this even before cams, years... no engine related issues :thumb:

The issue with the RR track is you spend a LOT more time at WOT. You can get away with stuff on the street/strip that you can't think about doing on the RR track.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
More corner speed = more straight away speed and lower lap times.:thumb:

I highly doubt revving it a couple hundred RPM more will change your lap times.

If that couple of hundred could save a shift, esp to 5th, it will certainly save time.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Not if they aren't pulling.

When you shift into 5th now where do the RPM's land?

What tire? exactly?

What rear gear?

If it's not pulling why would he need to shift? Not a smart ass question at all as maybe I'm missing something.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Lito,
Yes, I want to stay in 4th on the long Sebring straights, I'm hitting 5th half way down.
Next time I will shift 3rd and 4th about 6200 ish,
Yes, 3650. Had the same issue in my old track car, 5th gear over drive is a killer.
Thanks.

Never been there but my guess is half way down on the long back straight is still too long for not to need 5th, lol. I've only "iRaced" there. To keep times low, for that long of that straight if you hit rev limiter in 4th, one step down of rear gear would be it or, having the budget, a 0.80 ratio 5th of a magnum and a shorter rear would perform lovely there.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
If it's not pulling why would he need to shift?
Because sometimes if you rev something to high it will stop pulling. Lik a stock-ish 3v motor for example. If you make the shift it drops the RPM's back into the power and it pulls again.:thumb:

In a perfect world you want to shift right past peak HP and have it drop right into peak TQ. Sometimes this is way before the "redline".

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Because sometimes if you rev something to high it will stop pulling. Lik a stock-ish 3v motor for example. If you make the shift it drops the RPM's back into the power and it pulls again.:thumb:

In a perfect world you want to shift right past peak HP and have it drop right into peak TQ. Sometimes this is way before the "redline".

Wouldn't that all depend on how long you would need the gear? For instance, you have X amount of extra pull time divided by avg shift time/rpm drop for a given distance you could calculate out if it would be beneficial to shift or to raise your limiter. And if that shift is into 5th the recovery time to get back into the power band will be deminished compared to say a shift into 3rd, correct? So it would all depend on what gear and the distance????

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well my engine made peak hp at 7,000 -- I shift at 7400 and rev limiter is set at 7800 rpm. I go past peak mostly because I race with a power glide and the way the car is geared.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score

And I understand what you mean about falling into peak. Your saying that maybe instead of ringing said gear out you might be better off to shift it early and get back to pulling. Correct?

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Well my engine made peak hp at 7,000 -- I shift at 7400 and rev limiter is set at 7800 rpm. I go past peak mostly because I race with a power glide and the way the car is geared.

Got ya. So that over rev helps you carry/save rpm into the shift?

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
i had the same setup only my slow valve. spun it to 6800. then traded it in. lololol. but all kidding aside i loved my 3v, but why did the coyote have to be so damn amazing?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Wouldn't that all depend on how long you would need the gear? For instance, you have X amount of extra pull time divided by avg shift time/rpm drop for a given distance you could calculate out if it would be beneficial to shift or to raise your limiter. And if that shift is into 5th the recovery time to get back into the power band will be deminished compared to say a shift into 3rd, correct? So it would all depend on what gear and the distance????

Correct, that is why I said "if".:beerdrink:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back