Whats needed for a 5.0 swap?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
hmmm.....seems to me like a 5.4 makes a little more sense lol, direct bolt up, use the gt500 harness for a direct wire up.....can hold 700+ hp.....seems like a no brainer to me......but i guess its not the latest and greatest craze anymore.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
hmmm.....seems to me like a 5.4 makes a little more sense lol, direct bolt up, use the gt500 harness for a direct wire up.....can hold 700+ hp.....seems like a no brainer to me......but i guess its not the latest and greatest craze anymore.

I think the 5.4 does make more sense as well, I assumed incorrectly that the harness would allow the 5.0 to bolt in to a pre 2011 car. Also what about the power steering?

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the other thing your going to need is gauges for everything as your cluster is worthless and most your warning lights will be on . all that info comes from your pcm

we run a mychron unit and the ford racing harness has a port on it so you can tap the can cport and get real time ino .

Dam cluster....

Well I bought a 5" pro stock autometer tach, I can do old school and grab the speedo to 160mph...

or I go with a racepack system type deal.... DAM :deadhorse:

If I had to go digital I would do this system..

6003_d.jpg

lito

forum member
Reaction score
the other thing your going to need is gauges for everything as your cluster is worthless and most your warning lights will be on . all that info comes from your pcm

we run a mychron unit and the ford racing harness has a port on it so you can tap the can cport and get real time ino .

I always thought that being a CAN protocol system too it may work, have you tried connecting the CAN bus lines together? Because the harness have an OBD (If I am not wrong) I assumed you could at least try it (minding a swap)

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
This is bad news, especially considering the modular engine is being discontinued.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score

It really depends on what your plans are. If you're looking for a high RPM road race car, then a boat anchor like the 5.4L would be rediculous. Even an n/a lightweight drag car would suck balls with a 5.4L.

I really still think the 5.0L will be a reasonably easy swap once the first few figure out the details. This isn't the first engine swap. The modular/fox swap has been done for years and there are a LOT more nightmares involving that swap than this one.

A couple wiring diagrams, and some custom brackets and I think this swap will be cake (as far as swaps go).

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what your plans are. If you're looking for a high RPM road race car, then a boat anchor like the 5.4L would be rediculous. Even an n/a lightweight drag car would suck balls with a 5.4L.

I really still think the 5.0L will be a reasonably easy swap once the first few figure out the details. This isn't the first engine swap. The modular/fox swap has been done for years and there are a LOT more nightmares involving that swap than this one.

A couple wiring diagrams, and some custom brackets and I think this swap will be cake (as far as swaps go).

I have a 5.4 broken in my back room... not going that route for that exact reason, it would suck for weight transfer on a 500hp NA car.

but for boost you can't beat the 5.4 and just make monster power / torque

Tylus

Bullitt #6451
Reaction score
how much do the motors wiegh?

4.6 3v = ??
5.0 4v = ??
5.4 3v = ??
5.4 4v = ??

if we are talking 50 lbs or less of difference between the shortblocks before adding a Power adder, I can't see doing the 5.0 swap

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Then explain why Mihovetz still uses a stock bore/stroke 4.6 engine.

What I men't was the shelby 5.4 motor is a stout piece even in stock form and has great potential in the modular world sir.

I shouldn't of said "can beat it".

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
it's a totally new system over what you have. Keep in mind your cluster is getting it's info from the 4.6 pcm and the harness on the engine that you have just pulled out. the ford racing system has the info in it but it has no way to send that info to the stock cluster . The harness was made for a street rod application not transplant a 5.0 in a 4.6 .
if i understand you right youre using the frpp harness and not a oem 2011 harness right ? there is a possibility that the oem harness could still run the cluster maybe with nothing more than swapping pins around maybe ? i bet a 2011 and 2007 wiring diagrams would shed some light on this.

FiveOfastback

Reaction score
The swap will not be that bad. The question will be, do we need the computer swap or can it be done w/ the 3v's computer.
I may be new to this but the 2011 computer runs the 4v VVT which is totally differnt than our 3v's Just 1 reason to buy the control pack

FiveOfastback

Reaction score
Haha I agree woulda been cool for them to offer them in just the grabber colors or just the orignal boss 302 colors, only 4 I believe, wimbledon white, calpyso coral, acapulco blue and bright yellow.
I have 1 in Acapulco Blue. If they were making the new 1 in those colors I'd be trading in the Roush. I can't stand the paint scheme that Ford came up with.

Attachments

• Acapulco Boss.jpg
    Acapulco Boss.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 15

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
where did you hear this?

They're done. 4.6L, 5.4L (truck), and 6.8L have all ended production. The only modular still being produced is the aluminum GT500 5.4L.

FRPP bought up all the remaining production 4.6L blocks for their Aluminator shorts/longs.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
They're done. 4.6L, 5.4L (truck), and 6.8L have all ended production. The only modular still being produced is the aluminum GT500 5.4L.

FRPP bought up all the remaining production 4.6L blocks for their Aluminator shorts/longs.

I had this discussion with my rep Tuesday (with no answer) but what about Expedition?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
What does ceasing production imply as far as availability goes in the years to come? Are shortblocks going to start skyrocketing in price then?

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
Are you specifically referring to a 5.4 4v or is the 3v lumped into that statement as well?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I had this discussion with my rep Tuesday (with no answer) but what about Expedition?
Our Ford rep happened to be here today so I asked him. The 5.4L is still being produced in both its variations (iron 5.4L 3v, aluminum 5.4L 4V), but the aluminum 4.6L has been discontinued.

Tylus

Bullitt #6451
Reaction score
FRPP made any progress with getting the Inst. Cluster adapter? If the total cost involved could be kept under $10k and all you do is buy a kit from FRPP...I can see the 5.0 swap being an extremely popular swap. Especially for the early S197's that are getting up there in mileage and have tired/blown motors

Cool thing about a swap like this is the legal aspect. Won't the 5.0 satisfy any/all the EPA bullshit when it comes to motor swaps?
good question. I have a 2008 Expy EL that I'm looking to trade for a 2012 Expy EL with the 5.0 or 6.2 in it.

Word on the street has the 6.2 being the new high-end Expy motor and the 5.0 as the base motor with a torque tuning (sub 400 HP power)...which would be nice. Ford needs to keep a big family tow vehicle still available in the line-up.

If Ford keeps the 5.4 3v in the 2011/2012 Expy I'll keep what I've got.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back