Wheel Hop, and Dampers

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
You should look in the OEM springs from a 2013/14 GT500 with the performance pack. They are 260lb front and 200lb rear and don't drop the height of the car at all but still have the spring rates that are equal or even higher than most lowering springs. Those paired with good camber plates and Bilsteins sound like the perfect combination for you.
I suspect that if the 2013/14 GT500 springs don't lower that car at all, they'd actually raise my lighter car up at least in the front. That'd be a tougher problem to fix - I'm not afraid to cut springs under a few narrowly defined situations, but the iteration involved with struts would make it too much of a PITA even if this was one of those situations.

I've probably gotten spoiled by having adjustable damping on various cars over the years, and especially with the Mustang, but I do wish that Bilsteins were adjustable at least for rebound damping. My wife has really wished the same (her Subie has a set of Bils, albeit with not-exactly-OTS rebound damping). It was really nice yesterday to take a quarter turn out of each of the Mustang's dampers and get a huge improvement in ride quality over expansion-jointed pavement as I home in on what the new springs want for various conditions.

Whiteline's new LCA's that have the Max-C bushing in them seem to be the best of both worlds. Unbinded (is that a word?) articulation but without the noise that traditionally accompanies that amount of movement.
I have an idea what you're getting at, which I think without chasing down any of Whiteline's pictures or descriptions is basically an effort at introducing some compliance back into what's normally much firmer bushing material. Let it "squish" a little to permit roll without giving up too much of the radial stiffness that quiets the tendency for hop. A decent approach that differs from what the OEs have done with rubber more in the materials used than in the technique (and maybe only in detail from what I've done with plain poly cylindrical bushings myself). FWIW, while the amount of "binding" is reduced, it won't ever be as low as with a spherical.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I've got the "extreme" full spherical UCA from BMR. Amazing handling with no wheel hop, but the NVH is... extreme, shall we say?
Can you describe this in a little more detail? Gear noise (that you probably can't do much about other than with Dynamat)? Clunks (that might be too much clearance somewhere)? Bad behavior over bumps, etc.?

Norm

Last edited:

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
Can you describe this in a little more detail? Gear noise (that you probably can't do much about other than with Dynamat)? Clunks (that might be too much clearance somewhere)? Bad behavior over bumps, etc.?

Norm

I would assume that Vince is probably talking about the gear noise. When I installed my UTCA033 the only difference I noticed was slightly more gear whine over poly (I have Ford Racing 4.10s that have always whined more than my OEM 3.55s) and a very, very tiny difference in harshness over bumps. I didn't see any extra clunking over the poly arm.

Senna1

Reaction score
You should look in the OEM springs from a 2013/14 GT500 with the performance pack. They are 260lb front and 200lb rear and don't drop the height of the car at all but still have the spring rates that are equal or even higher than most lowering springs. Those paired with good camber plates and Bilsteins sound like the perfect combination for you.
I agree that they're pretty close to what I want on paper. Like Mr. Peterson above, I'm a little worried OE GT500 springs might actually raise the car.

Right now the FRPP P springs are also high in consideration (~200F/~165R rate, 1" drop from base GT ride height all around). I really may wait on any spring changes until I do some harder driving though. I feel like I'm on information overload from the internet, and can't clearly articulate what behavior from the car I'm looking to correct (without referencing what other people have written about it).

The damping on the other hand, I feel like I'd notice an immediate improvement day to day.

Think I'm going to put new struts on the car, see where everything lands for a while, then do LCAs if I still have wheelhop. And try to sneak a HPDE in sometime in the fall...

For shimming, I just started with some strips of 3/8" and 1/8" steel and broke out the acetylene rig, MIG-welder, a hacksaw, and a few other implements of destruction/construction and just rolled my own. What I ended up with works, but I think I'm going to revise the manner of locating the spring and probably at least tack the shims in place. They don't move, but I sometimes get a little noise when backing up over a bump. I don't want to post pictures of a work in progress.
Totally understand on the pictures of an unfinished WIP, thanks for the description though.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Think I'm going to put new struts on the car, see where everything lands for a while, then do LCAs if I still have wheelhop. And try to sneak a HPDE in sometime in the fall...

This is exactly the right move. Change one thing at a time, see what it gets you, then adjust from there.

I've gone down the same path you are going down here. In my case, the first change I made was to the dampers -- I went with Konis because they were readily available and I wanted the adjustability. The main reason I did that was for the ride, but the change also seemed to yield better control over the suspension. That last observation is really only something I now realize in hindsight. It takes some experience to develop a feel for what's really going on. But the change in the damping quality over bumps was immediately noticeable.

My next change was to switch to Boss 302 springs (standard up front, Laguna Seca in the rear, and the reason for that combination is to account for the square tire setup) and rear sway bar (Laguna Seca). This is because I finally started to notice the delay in the car taking a set, and I also wanted a bit more oversteer, and was curious about how a stock Boss 302 would handle (and since I don't have access to one, changing my car would have to do). I wanted all of that without much compromise to the street characteristics or the ride height (especially the latter -- I have a steep driveway that I have to negotiate, so I can't tolerate lowering the way most here can). This change appears to have taken care of all of that, and the turn-in is now quick enough that I no longer notice the delay. It may be that I will end up noticing it again once I reach a certain level of experience, but it works for me for now.

The point of all this is that I changed things only on the basis of what I knew I wanted to change. You can change multiple things at the same time if you really want to, but if you do, you won't know what really makes the car behave as it does.

So, in short, changing only the dampers as the first step is, in my opinion, absolutely the right approach. You'll notice an immediate difference in ride at least, and possibly in handling as well. The only question is what damper to go with. That's more of a religious debate than anything else from what I can tell. If you plan on lowering the car more than about an inch, then you might want to avoid the Konis because they don't seem to tolerate much in the way of lowering. They seem to work well otherwise.

Senna1

Reaction score
I've gone down the same path you are going down here.
I definitely have come across some of your threads in my reading of past topics, asking some of the same advice I am now, or similar.
My next change was to switch to Boss 302 springs (standard up front, Laguna Seca in the rear, and the reason for that combination is to account for the square tire setup) and rear sway bar (Laguna Seca).
How much did that lower the car, if you don't mind me asking? I had considered this, but the consensus from the tuning gurus seems to be the Boss rates don't change enough from the GT to matter anyway. It does make me wonder why Ford bothered to make so many different spring variations for the NA V8 Mustangs though, if they're all just too soft in the end. Base is ~126/155; Track pack ~131/167; Boss 148/186; LS 137/191; and all with unique strut/shock part numbers (And presumably valving). That seems like a lot of engineering for subtle to nonexistent changes, but maybe that's just the way OEMs work (I'm clearly not in the industry).

The point of all this is that I changed things only on the basis of what I knew I wanted to change. You can change multiple things at the same time if you really want to, but if you do, you won't know what really makes the car behave as it does.
The main temptation is just that changing the dampers is also a natural point at which to change the springs, without having to tear everything apart twice.
The only question is what damper to go with. That's more of a religious debate than anything else from what I can tell. If you plan on lowering the car more than about an inch, then you might want to avoid the Konis because they don't seem to tolerate much in the way of lowering. They seem to work well otherwise.
Koni and Bilstein seem to by far be the preferred options, with FRPPs some way behind that. I'm still debating what to do. I'd be lying to say the giant sale on Konis right now wasn't tempting me more than a bit.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
If wheel hop is your only concern, then I would recommend starting with just the LCAs. In my experience, they eliminate a majority of the wheel hop. If you're happy with the wheel hop reduction from a set of LCAs, then no need to go further with a UCA/mount/relocation brackets/etc...

Poly/bearing LCAs will add a small bit more noise than traditional poly/poly LCAs, but it shouldn't be too bad.

What the professional said. I'll back that up on personal experience. Some noise is to be expected. Not obnoxious, but not the interior noise level of a Lincoln either. But then again we're talking muscle cars here, not sport touring coupes.

On the topic of the UCA, here is a video of the UCA functioning on a stock Brembo setup. http://youtu.be/aDJ92ZXax6Y. That as Paul Harvey would have said, "Is the rest of this story". Good luck.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
I definitely have come across some of your threads in my reading of past topics, asking some of the same advice I am now, or similar.

How much did that lower the car, if you don't mind me asking?

About half an inch up front. None in the rear. So not much. The Koni dampers up front seem to lower it another quarter inch. But I can tell you that I can't tolerate any more lowering than this. My splitter already scrapes the driveway unless I come in at a sharp angle.

I had considered this, but the consensus from the tuning gurus seems to be the Boss rates don't change enough from the GT to matter anyway. It does make me wonder why Ford bothered to make so many different spring variations for the NA V8 Mustangs though, if they're all just too soft in the end.
The main reason I didn't just stick with the springs I already had was that I figured that Ford had done the hard work of exactly tuning the springs versus sway bars already, in order to achieve a particular handling balance. I broke from that slightly by going with the stiffer standard fronts instead of the Laguna Seca fronts, but I did that because the balance Ford achieved was with a staggered tire setup, not a square one, so I wanted to compensate some for that.

The other reason for going this route was that it was dirt cheap. $25 per spring. That's basically free when it comes to suspension parts, so I thought "why not?". If I didn't like the end result, I could always change it after.

But I do like the end result, quite a lot, so I'm sticking with it for now.

Base is ~126/155; Track pack ~131/167; Boss 148/186; LS 137/191; and all with unique strut/shock part numbers (And presumably valving). That seems like a lot of engineering for subtle to nonexistent changes, but maybe that's just the way OEMs work (I'm clearly not in the industry).
It is a lot of engineering. And it's the result of an enormous amount of testing as well. I suspect it was done because the Ford engineering guys wanted to get things "exactly right", at least as much as they could, and were dealing with things at a subtle level. How does the car feel at turn-in? How does it behave mid-corner? On exit? Around all kinds of corners (with various cambers, etc.)? How does it handle the road (remember, it's a street car)?

They wanted handling to be the shining characteristic of the Boss 302, for the car to be a track weapon as street cars go, but to still be drivable in all kinds of conditions on the street. A tall order.

Subtle changes can matter a lot. While people generally thought the GT's handling (with Brembo/track pack) was good, the general consensus seemed to be that the Boss's handling was fabulous. Of course, that's all relative, and compared with cars with the kinds of modifications people here do, it's surely no contest. But for an everyday driver street car? The least one can say is that it's not bad at all. A 1:40 lap time around Laguna Seca is what the Boss 302 is capable of -- on street tires. To put that in perspective, 1:36 to 1:45 is what race drivers in cars ranging from the Z/28 to the BMW M3 were getting on slicks with a proper racing setup at that same track.

So it's definitely not bad at all. The setup on my car makes it great fun to drive. I'm not in this to set records or to win races. I'm not that good, and am under no illusion that I can be that good. And competing would ruin the fun for me anyway. If I can't reasonably win, then it's only logical for me to shift my focus to enjoying myself when driving the car. And with the car's balance and responsiveness right now, it is great fun indeed.

Again, it's all relative. You could probably do worse than to follow the path I'm on. Try it out, see for yourself if it works for you. If you like what you get, then stick with it until it's no longer any fun. If you're in this to compete (doesn't sound like it at the moment), then it may be reasonable to go down the path I have because it's very inexpensive and gets you something that will teach you a lot about car control, something that is an absolute must if you're to compete successfully. The difference is that if you're in this to compete, you'll be making the initial changes knowing in advance that you'll be switching over to a proper coilover setup later on. The main reason for not simply going with a proper coilover setup from the beginning is that it's only once you have a good amount of experience that you'll know what characteristics you want the coilovers to give you. Put another way, right now you don't really have a good way of knowing what coilovers, with what spring rates, you should be using. And given the mission of your car at the moment, you're probably better off keeping it more or less stock for now even if you do intend to compete with it eventually.

The main temptation is just that changing the dampers is also a natural point at which to change the springs, without having to tear everything apart twice.
That is a temptation you must avoid here. You simply cannot know what to change until you know why it needs to change in the first place. And you can't know that until you've got enough experience with the car to identify what's wrong with it. You've already identified a couple of things of note: the suspension movement and the axle hop. The former will be taken care of by decent dampers. The latter will be taken care of by something in the rear (most likely a replacement UCA).

I'd change the dampers first, and see what effect that has on the axle hop, before changing anything in the rear end.

Koni and Bilstein seem to by far be the preferred options, with FRPPs some way behind that. I'm still debating what to do. I'd be lying to say the giant sale on Konis right now wasn't tempting me more than a bit.
You could do much worse than with the Konis. The nice thing about them is that if you feel the (rebound) damping is too little or too much, you can adjust that. It allows you to play with the car's impulse handling response if you want to.

There are people here who believe the Konis are junk. But then, most seemed to have been on springs that lowered the car a decent amount. If improvement of the ride and suspension control on stock-ish rate springs and stock-ish ride height is what you're after, the Konis will deliver that. If you increase the spring rates substantially (by that, I mean you hit the range of 300+ lbs/in up front), then the Bilsteins might prove a better choice.

If you're new to high performance driving, then I would change the dampers and leave everything else alone for now, which means leaving the springs alone, and that implies that the Konis are what you will want. There is benefit in changing as little as possible. I learned how to respond to the rear end getting loose before I changed my springs and rear sway bar, and it's a good thing I did it in that order, too. The car is now a lot looser in the rear than before, but it's better balanced overall and (now that I know something of what I'm doing) much easier to get the rear to do what I want -- and easier to get the car to swap ends if I mess that up. On the track, the rear does want to come out more easily, so you have to be ready for that possibility. Taking care of that is usually as simple as flicking the steering wheel in the opposite direction, but it requires training the appropriate reactions in.

Of all the mods, the driver mod is by far the most important one. As you gain experience, you'll begin to feel the limitations of the car. That is when it's time to change things: when you discover a limitation that requires a change, or some characteristic that you don't like. And you should make sure that it really is something you're experiencing, and not just something others are saying is present in your car.

For instance, I've been told, by someone who drives a Spec Miata on the track, that my car moves around a lot. And surely, compared with a Spec Miata, it does. This is coming from someone I greatly respect, and who maintains my car, so he regularly drives my car after maintenance. His comments make it tempting for me to put coilovers on the car, to substantially increase the spring rates, etc. But here's the thing: all of that seems to disappear when I drive the car on the track. There, the car seems to be responsive and controlled. It does move some, but not in a way that seems to be detrimental to its responsiveness, and not in a way that I really notice. That could well be the result of Ford's testing and tuning of spring rates versus sway bar rates, combined with the competence of the dampers I'm using.

On the track, the car is great fun to drive. It's responsive and balanced. It's easy to make it do what you want. And (especially at the Evolution Driving School) it's taught me a lot. Honestly, unless competition is what you're after, what more could you possibly want? Someone at one of the Evolution Driving School events commented that if he were buying a car, he'd buy what I have, because of the sheer amount of fun I was obviously having with drifting the car around the course! That really drove home to me that it really is about the fun you have with the car, more than anything else.

How the car feels is a subjective thing. What is responsive and balanced to one person may well be an uncoordinated mess to someone else. This is why there's a lot of wisdom in the notion of changing one thing at a time, and only when you notice something that you feel needs changing. It means you're tuning your car to your preferences, on the basis of what you think about the car, and are doing so in such a way as to ensure that you don't change anything that, from your subjective point of view, doesn't need changing.

Last edited:

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
There is one cure that I know of that I would be willing to bet the ranch on which will cure your wheel hop issues. I hesitate to even utter the words here as to what that fix is as it usually results in foaming at the mouth utter hatred responses but if your interested PM me I'll give you the recipe that worked for me. :naughty:

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
There is one cure that I know of that I would be willing to bet the ranch on which will cure your wheel hop issues. I hesitate to even utter the words here as to what that fix is as it usually results in foaming at the mouth utter hatred responses but if your interested PM me I'll give you the recipe that worked for me. :naughty:

What is "Torque Arm"?

That's one way to do it with various advantages and disadvantages... much in the same way doing it with the UCA, LCAs or combo of would have advantages and disadvantages.... obviously "what am bestest" IS what will create issues... I don't think either is "best" but merely different ways to achieve similar goals...

Keep in mind that TA's eliminate the motion that causes the wheel hop on these cars in the first place... at least for acceleration, and moves the chance to have it occur on braking to some low non-zero number. Having had one on my 09, I never had issues, but I don't think I would have ever gone to one had LCA relocation brackets been legal in ST at the time.

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
What is "Torque Arm"?

Give that man a set of

baldwin.jpg

You said it, not me ... Lol

Last edited:

Senna1

Reaction score
I don't know much about torque arms other than the fights they start on forums, seemingly without exception. :popcorn:

I'm not putting them down in any way, but I think that's farther than I want to go with a daily driven car. At least not without trying ~$150 LCAs first.

I've been back and forth about my whole plan since starting this thread. The money to get into even Koni Yellows would pay for 2-3 track days, and a part of me is nagging that I should go do that. But that will cut my mod budget down to non-adjustable dampers only - I guess Koni STR.Ts being the 'top' choice in that group.

Nothing saying I couldn't track it on the stock suspension either; the Brembo cars are slightly stiffer than the base car afterall.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with anything less than Koni Sports.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Senna1

Reaction score
Don't bother with anything less than Koni Sports.
Yeah, that's the conclusion I've been coming to as well.

Just noticed in another thread you're only 20 min up the road from me (Germantown) in Frederick. What's you're motorsport choice of poison in the region? WDCR SCCA? Summit Point? Been looking to run my first track day over there, though I've heard it's not the safest track in the world...

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Summit Point? Been looking to run my first track day over there, though I've heard it's not the safest track in the world...

Coming from the two wheeled racing world, Summit isn't all that bad. I've seen and raced on worse tracks from a safety standpoint. It's been nearly 15 years since I've been at Summit Main and I understand it's gotten better, a lot better. I often wonder how close my lap times would be with four wheels compared to the 1:19's I ran on two wheels back in the day.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I don't know much about torque arms other than the fights they start on forums, seemingly without exception. :popcorn:

I'm not putting them down in any way, but I think that's farther than I want to go with a daily driven car. At least not without trying ~$150 LCAs first.

I've been back and forth about my whole plan since starting this thread. The money to get into even Koni Yellows would pay for 2-3 track days, and a part of me is nagging that I should go do that. But that will cut my mod budget down to non-adjustable dampers only - I guess Koni STR.Ts being the 'top' choice in that group.

Nothing saying I couldn't track it on the stock suspension either; the Brembo cars are slightly stiffer than the base car afterall.

Just noticed in another thread you're only 20 min up the road from me (Germantown) in Frederick. What's you're motorsport choice of poison in the region? WDCR SCCA? Summit Point? Been looking to run my first track day over there, though I've heard it's not the safest track in the world...

I would not worry about the TA argument, Each shop/person has there own way of doing things, They all work. ( At least the methods that are generally talked about here). Summit Point Main is a great course, I don't see anything unsafe about the way that track is set up, Jefferson and Shenandoah Circuits do have a history of being unsafe. You do have VIR not to far from you to, and also Dominion will be open in a few weeks. Lots to choose from!

You guys really need to try NJMP.

Norm

I do hope to make it up that way sometime this year!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I mainly do autocross due to the cost of open-track consumables. I'm an organizer for Capital Driving Club, though I also occasionally attend SCCA events at FedEx Field and (my favorite autox venue) Cumberland Airport.

I don't like Summit Point, because I'm not convinced it's actually a safe track. (Search YouTube for Summit Point deer.) You want a DANG NICE TRACK? PittRace is about a 4 hour drive.

EDIT:
Track Night at Pitt Race coming up on 14 July!
https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events/1983142-track-night-2016-pittsburgh-july-14

Do it. DOOOO ITTTT.

Last edited:
Back