where all the a/f ratio threads.

bottle_fed

forum member
Reaction score
i just installed a steeda intake and bama tune and just wanted to look into what the ideal air fuel ratio for a coyote is. at wot it was a consistent 11.6. guys let me know what you think or if you have lead to a thread. i sure we have one somewhere

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Seems fat to me but I'm not a 5.0 expert. In fact it's a little fatter than I have my 12:1 supercharged 3v.

What was the Procal doing for a/f?

bottle_fed

forum member
Reaction score
i havent updated my signature. i got a 2014 with just bama tune, steeda intake and heat throb muffler delete. I hear 12:0 is ideal. i wouldnt know

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
11.3-11.8 if supercharged, 12.3-12.8 NA. The OEM O2 sensors are so so and could be off by as much as 1.0. Even replacements like I bought that came in a NGK boxes are really Bosch sensors. Your tuner wanted to be safe, which is not a bad thing. I ended up installing an AFX A/F kit (extremely accurate NGK sensor and guage) and found my tune was lean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
11.3-11.8 if supercharged, 12.3-12.8 NA. The OEM O2 sensors are so so and could be off by as much as 1.0. Even replacements like I bought that came in a NGK boxes are really Bosch sensors. Your tuner wanted to be safe, which is not a bad thing. I ended up installing an AFX A/F kit (extremely accurate NGK sensor and guage) and found my tune was lean.

Off topic, sorry.

Why use the AFX versus Innovate? quick research shows it does the same thing with a steeper price tag? just curious. thanks.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Bama reps have stated that their target af @ wot is around is low to mid 12s. I believe it's 12.4 to be exact.

Last edited:

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
Here's my dyno chart (2011 6MT) where the baseline pull is BAMA Hybrid tune + Steeda CAI. A/F is right @ 12.4 except where BAMA use an aggressive tip-in that triggered a response from the PCM to bring it back to stoichiometric. That was the off-idle stumble that BAMA could not get out after 3 different tries. :-(

Power/Torque curve doesn't look bad at all for a canned tune. But there are definitely room for fine tuning.

Untitled2_zps5b523842.jpg

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
Off topic, sorry.

Why use the AFX versus Innovate? quick research shows it does the same thing with a steeper price tag? just curious. thanks.

All sensors and guages perform the same functions.
Had the same wide band Bosch sensor and bung as Innovate uses; the NGK sensor that comes with the AFX has a better tip for sensing (more holes, closer to the tip which is flat as opposed to the bullet shaped Bosch) along with a shorter bung for placing the tip closer to the exhaust flow. I saw the difference. Just my opinion and that of my tuners.

4VFTW

Reaction score
depends what the sensor is calibrated for...if it's E10 11.6:1 is maybe a RCH rich but nothing to be concerned with.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Not really. The display is simply converting 1 lambda to 14.64. Lambda is the same (1.0) no matter what the fuel. Different fuels have various a/f ratios for lambda. An example is E85. .8 lambda reads as 11.7 with e85. So does e10 and any other fuel your car may use.

IMO it would be a lot easier if we just went by lambda.

depends what the sensor is calibrated for...if it's E10 11.6:1 is maybe a RCH rich but nothing to be concerned with.

4VFTW

Reaction score
the Coyote's 02's are calibrated for E10(14.10 stoich) .84 is considered a good yet safe commanded lambda which would show as 11.8. My track apps a/f display shows 11.7. the OP's 11.6:1 is perfectly fine as long as whatever he is getting his reading from believes it is measuring E10

Last edited:

bottle_fed

forum member
Reaction score
Lmao. Going crossed eyed. I just don't know if I should compare to stock. Fresh off the show room it would be 12 dead on at wot. Guess I'll let them look at the data log

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
Not really. The display is simply converting 1 lambda to 14.64. Lambda is the same (1.0) no matter what the fuel. Different fuels have various a/f ratios for lambda. An example is E85. .8 lambda reads as 11.7 with e85. So does e10 and any other fuel your car may use.

IMO it would be a lot easier if we just went by lambda.

I agree with the point about using Lambda - the Coyote ECU comes with wideband O2 sensors and all of it's mixture setting tables and parameters (like cat protection) are in Lambda, not AFR. Once you get used to using Lambda, everything gets easier - if you define a new AFR as Lambda = 1.0, then the whole ECU mixture computation system adjusts all the AFR's accordingly - one change in one place does it all.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
O2 sensors are only going to gauge Lambda. Are you saying the stoich in the tune is 14.1? Stoich is used by the ecu in conjunction with fuel tables to command a fuel prediction. The o2 sensors correct that prediction.

the Coyote's 02's are calibrated for E10(14.10 stoich) .84 is considered a good yet safe commanded lambda which would show as 11.8. My track apps a/f display shows 11.7. the OP's 11.6:1 is perfectly fine as long as whatever he is getting his reading from believes it is measuring E10

4VFTW

Reaction score
O2 sensors are only going to gauge Lambda. Are you saying the stoich in the tune is 14.1? Stoich is used by the ecu in conjunction with fuel tables to command a fuel prediction. The o2 sensors correct that prediction.

correct stoich in the tune is 14.1 from the factory. 13.9-14.1 is what a '13-'14 will see on track apps at idle and cruise.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Seems fat to me but I'm not a 5.0 expert. In fact it's a little fatter than I have my 12:1 supercharged 3v.

What was the Procal doing for a/f?

My ProCal is basically 14.0 all the time, except during deceleration fuel cut. That is measured using an Aeroforce gauge.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
That's interesting. Unless you reprogrammed the slope and intercept the Aeroforce should be displaying 1 lambda as 14.64. That's even with a 14.1 stoich. Maybe they have changed the stock slope and intercept to display 1 lambda as 14.1?

My ProCal is basically 14.0 all the time, except during deceleration fuel cut. That is measured using an Aeroforce gauge.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back